Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joshm6946

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2008
"A few scratches"? The entire back is nothing BUT scratches. I think I have reason to be pissed off because it really does look as if they did use sandpaper on it. As I've said many times it's NOT theirs to damage.

And so far you're the only one that thinks there is no problem with what Apple did.

Maybe I should start whining about the dent that it had when it was straight out of the packaging? Don't believe me? Search the topics I've made and you'll find one where I mention that was a problem like with the light leak and the dust. I could handle that at first, but how they've treated it this time has gone too far, IMO. Apple has screwed me over big time with this iPod.

I agree with Ivan. I bought my ipod touch back on September 17th and the screen was loose on the top left corner when barely pressing on it and you could hear a click noise. I then called Apple and they sent me an empty box via DHL to return it for repairs. I then got it back due to apple saying "no problem found, original product shipped" and when I sent it in there was not a one scratch on it and when it was returned WOW I said the same thing as the Ivan said..it DID look like they got sandpaper and sanded it down because there was tons and tons of scratches. Now IF what snowleopard said is true "they just tested it" then i guess they did BUT with some sandpaper right by there side. I was to pissed off so I called and argued with apple and they told me to send it in ONCE again so I did and they returned it back again lol? wut the hell that was all about i have no clue.

So then I spoke with a supervisor and a day after that I got sent a brand new one with all accessories and a free case because he said who ever helped me out wasn't following what they should of followed to begin with. something about customer satisfaction he said so that's why he sent me out a brand new one for all the trouble I had to go through. Overall I do agree with being pissed about scratches..we bought it for 300 bucks so we should get it back the same way we sent it in.

Ivan P

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
Home
Good to see I'm not alone, and I'm glad you got a new iPod for your troubles...wow, them overlooking a loose screen is really bad :eek:

I'm calling Apple again on Monday and this time I'm going to ask to speak to someone higher up, hopefully it gets sorted.

joshm6946

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2008
Good to see I'm not alone, and I'm glad you got a new iPod for your troubles...wow, them overlooking a loose screen is really bad :eek:

I'm calling Apple again on Monday and this time I'm going to ask to speak to someone higher up, hopefully it gets sorted.

Good luck! it took me a couple of days of non stop talking lol

quick5pnt0

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2008
Rather than going through it over and over again here, try calling Apple about the problem. They have a technical help line which will transfer you to whomever is needed to solve this problem. I'm sure they'll be willing to fix the problem.

Ivan P

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
Home
Rather than going through it over and over again here, try calling Apple about the problem. They have a technical help line which will transfer you to whomever is needed to solve this problem. I'm sure they'll be willing to fix the problem.

It says on the Apple site that you get support ONCE for an iPod, the fact it's already been sent in for service once shouldn't be a problem if it's the service that caused this should it?

By the way, this thread was supposed to be what people thought of scratches on iPods, not just about my problem :p

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
"A few scratches"? The entire back is nothing BUT scratches. I think I have reason to be pissed off because it really does look as if they did use sandpaper on it. As I've said many times it's NOT theirs to damage.

And so far you're the only one that thinks there is no problem with what Apple did.

Maybe I should start whining about the dent that it had when it was straight out of the packaging? Don't believe me? Search the topics I've made and you'll find one where I mention that was a problem like with the light leak and the dust. I could handle that at first, but how they've treated it this time has gone too far, IMO. Apple has screwed me over big time with this iPod.

Ok I thought you had a few scratches, not like sandpaper scratches. I apologize for the misunderstanding. Maybe instead of venting in this thread, take it to your local Apple Store, however far away it is. You could try calling them and see if they would ship you a new one. Just explain to them that you live too far away.

Ivan P

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
Home
Ok I thought you had a few scratches, not like sandpaper scratches. I apologize for the misunderstanding. Maybe instead of venting in this thread, take it to your local Apple Store, however far away it is. You could try calling them and see if they would ship you a new one. Just explain to them that you live too far away.

Yeah that's what I'm doing, it would seem a bit absurd travelling to the other side of the country for a new iPod :p

Ivan P

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
Home
An update on the situation, got in touch with Apple today and the first thing I was told was "this is a serious claim, there'll be repercussions because this is clearly a legal issue now". ...Ok then.

First the guy asked if we got a letter at all when my iPod was returned...no, it was just an iPod wrapped up in a box. Hmmm, alright.
Second, he mentions how the testing facilities are nothing but rubber-lined benches so it's very unusual for something like this to happen, and that this is the first time he's heard of this happening. Hey, say all you want about how it shouldn't have happened, the fact is that somewhere between my iPod being at Apple and being back in my hands it got damaged.
So then he tries to check the database for my service records...cannot find them at all. This was at 7AM my time (9AM at Apple, they would have just opened), it's now almost 3PM here, meaning it's 5PM there, so an entire work day and they're yet to find any trace of my iPod's service record.

Apple are so awesome!

kwk1

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2008
Canada
Funny how they can receive it, diagnose/test it, and send it back without any records.:rolleyes:
Rubber lined benches, but concrete floors. Who said it stayed on the bench the whole time anyway. Wouldn't take much for it to be knocked down and slid across the floor. Something obviously happened to it.
Nice to see you called them, stay on top of it and good luck Ivan.;)

By the way, I don't have or want scratches on my touch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.