Scratching my phone more by wiping it down?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by daonesteven, May 3, 2009.

1. daonesteven macrumors 6502

So I get kinda OCD about keeping my iPhone smudge and fingerprint free, so I wipe it down for about a good minute with a eyeglass cloth I got from my optometrist (also use that black cloth that came with iPod touch), and I do this for at LEAST once a day if not every chance and opportunity I get. Basically been doing this for like the past 6 months I've had the phone, but I look at it sometimes and I see more scruffs on mine on the top bezel as well as microscratch swirlies everywhere on the back that you can totally see in the light, than my roommates iPhone that we both got around the same time (both of us leave it naked since we can't stand cases). Now yes, I do clean my iPhone very often and meticulously at that, whereas he probably remembers to do it maybe every other week, but do you think this is actually causing more scratches on my phone. I mean, if I knew it was gonna cause more visible scratches, then I will definitely not clean it as often as I'd rather care about having a more pristine phone. Thanksin advance.

2. MadMacxxx macrumors 6502a

MadMacxxx

if you have a black iphone 3g then you'll also add a lot of depth to that black back cover....it'll feel like glass.

3. daonesteven thread starter macrumors 6502

So wiping it with microfiber cloth excessivley like I do won't dull or cause more scratches to the back or chrome of the phone?

4. MadMacxxx macrumors 6502a

MadMacxxx

Yes, but make sure to keep them clean and inspect the towels often for any fine particles that may be caught in the fibers and would scratch your phone. Also, when you wash them, never use bleach and try using the gentle cycle. Dont use fabric softener or those fabric softening dryer toss in tissue things. Spend an extra $5-8 and buy some Meguiars Quick Detailing Spray, or Mother's Showtime quick detailer....i love those quick detailing sprays because you can use them for anything! I spray a little on a micro fiber and clean everything from my macbook (including it's screen), to iMac, phone...car....pretty much anything that isnt porous.

Unless the clothes you've been using have a few tiny hard particles stuck on them, they shouldn't be scratching your phone, so I seriously think it's from being handled and pulled in and out of your pockets that has been causing the scratching.

One more thing, this definitely says something about the poor quality of the iphone 3g because it should NOT be scratching this easy. I remember cleaning my iphone with a normal bath towel and it scratched up the stainless steel on the phone

5. MadMacxxx macrumors 6502a

MadMacxxx

How could I have forgotten this!

What could be happening is that tiny particles on your phone are getting rubbed into your phone when you use those thin cleaning clothes for sunglasses. You see, those thick, plush micro fibers do a great job of taking whatever dust or debris is on the surface of something and hiding them away in their fibers, as opposed to those thin cleaning clothes that offer no cushion or fibers. So try blowing on your phone really hard or using a compressed air can before wiping it to clear off any debris that might be on it

6. Dr. Cabrera macrumors 65816

Ummm there's really no reason to wax your iPhone . The wax really only works for things that are not going to be touched that much. Sure it will look great, but it will wear off/rub off after about a day or two .

X2 though for the microfiber and quick detailer recommendation

I usually just wipe my iphone with the inside of my shirt, but when it gets pretty dirty I use some Ultimate Quick Detailer and a Meguiar's Supreme Shine Microfiber

I see we have another car detailer on the boards :D

My schedule is waaay too busy to be overly OCD about masking my car, mostly i just tape the edges of my hood and my emblems, and go to town when the scratches build up and I have a free weekend :p

I guess I would tape more things off if it was a newer car, but for factory 1999 Nighthawk Black Pearl its holding up well

left panel is before, right panel is after
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. MadMacxxx macrumors 6502a

MadMacxxx

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

are the scratches on the case or the glass?

I'm pretty meticulous about trying to keep the glass clean and I have the phone in a case, so I don't worry about the back being clean but from time to time, I also wonder if using a microfiber cloth may scratch the glass

9. daonesteven thread starter macrumors 6502

it's more about the back plastic and chrome areas, i have a screen protector so i kinda stopped caring about my screen.

10. Dr. Cabrera macrumors 65816

plastic is going to scracth, there's nothing you can do about it, its just too soft, same goes for the aluminum bezel

Glass- Just make sure you don't have your keys and iphone in the same pocket. Nothing in your pocket will really scratch the glass , except maybe if you go to the beach. A microfiber will never scratch the glass if it is clean.

Aluminum Bezel- Only way to protect it fully is to get a case. Even the "shields" do not cover the bezel 100%. I have seen aluminum get scracthed just by putting it in and out of your pockets ( either whatever lint is in there, or that litte button on the inside of most pant pockets)

Plastic Back- A case or a shield is the only way to keep it scracth free. Plastic is so soft that a wide variety of things will scratch it. Waxes, sealants, etc will only hide the scracthes temporarily. Basically there is NO WAY to go naked and keep the back of your phone 100% scratch free , even with the use of a microfiber.

11. davelanger macrumors 6502a

Get an incase slider and an anti-glare film screen protector.

12. daonesteven thread starter macrumors 6502

oh no, i knew that when i was going to keep it naked that it was going to get scratched from putting in and out of my pocket and from lint, etc. All I'm wondering is if cleaning it with a microfiber cloth often will cause it to scratch more.

13. MadMacxxx macrumors 6502a

MadMacxxx

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

No, like I said just make sure to either blow off debris or gently wipe it away with ur micro fiber before starting to really wipe it, and of course make sure the micro fibers are totally clean and free of debris

14. Eyedn macrumors regular

That is one seriously nice car!

15. vinay427 macrumors 6502a

vinay427

YOU'RE FREAKING KILLING ME HERE!!! :D That is awesome (best 3-series too)! Is that your car? Coupe or sedan? (there is no side view to easily tell) I'm obsessed with BMWs, by the way. :)

16. MadMacxxx macrumors 6502a

MadMacxxx

Hey thanks man appreciate it, but no...its just a 3 series bmw hah. Think Lamborghini, Ferrari, Aston....when you think about seriously nice cars!

17. MadMacxxx macrumors 6502a

MadMacxxx

thanks man, its a coupe...yea I used to be crazy into the BMW scene....but not so much any more. I used to be big into the forums and went to lots of meets and all.

18. iWantiPhone macrumors regular

sweet e92! bimmerfest huh? i think i recognize your car from e90post.

19. jarjarblinks macrumors 6502

jarjarblinks

As with all chrome and plastic finishing, I expect that the little bits of eeekiness will cause scratches. Frankly, some of the bits of dust can't really be seen unless in very clear or bright light. It's barely discernable in everyday use.

But a fingerprint size of scratches...now thats visible.

20. Dr. Cabrera macrumors 65816

Do you have any direct sun/ halogen shots ?

x2 I agree with you, I only detail my car and sometimes my family,no one else (too much time)

21. MadMacxxx macrumors 6502a

MadMacxxx

yup!

22. Dr. Cabrera macrumors 65816

No dice :p

I want to see some full correction shots :D:D:D

23. vinay427 macrumors 6502a

vinay427

Haha yea I'm also obsessed with the CCX, DBS, M6, Murcielago, and upcoming F500 (not really, hate the look of Ferrari's, don't mean to offend anybody :D)

BTW, this is the most off-topic thread I've seen in a long while.

24. MadMacxxx macrumors 6502a

MadMacxxx

Haha, to be honest, I've NEVER let my car go to a car wash since feb 07 when I acquired the car after having special ordered it in December 06 around the time this new model was first released. I picked up the car only hours after it finally arrived at the dealership and I didnt even let the dealer give it a "new car prep" wash/polish. I've only allowed 2 other people to wash/detail it and they were both professional detailers. I follow strict washing guidelines that have kept my paint pretty damn swirl free. So I guess its safe to say it's never gone through any corrective paint measures.
    yea it is, my bad...[​IMG][​IMG]