Screen Always-On test

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by samiznaetekto, May 4, 2015.

1. samiznaetekto macrumors 65816

It was mentioned here that if you keep contact with the screen, it stays on. I wonder if it's possible to attach something to the screen to fool it and keep it always on? Maybe the rubber tip of a stylus? Piece of chewing gum maybe? To answer this question: if (***IF***) Apple enabled the always-on clock, how long would the battery last?

Anyone adventurous?

2. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

No. I don't want my screen to be on all the time.

3. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

A better way would probably be to twist the Digital Crown back and forth.

4. AbeFrohman macrumors 6502

AbeFrohman

5. samiznaetekto thread starter macrumors 65816

If the Screen-On Time is, say, 10 hours, who wants to twist the knob for 10 hours? That's why I suggested finding a fake touch solution.

Maybe, a drop of oil will do?

----------

I thought I made it clear it's for the test purpose, not for general use. Curious minds, you know.

6. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

I was answering the "anyone adventurous" question.

7. Eightyone macrumors regular

I CANNOT for the life of me decipher the logic, as to why anyone would want this screen always on all of the time...

The Apple Watch uses an OLED screen; I wonder if Apple users are unfamiliar with OLED problems, with prolonged use:

Screen burn in/retention (see PSVita or Samsung topics)
    Color degradation, especially blues
    White backgrounds/high brightness degrade screen life

8. 418 macrumors member

This method (or anything involving pressing/turning the screen, crown or contacts button) would involve waking the CPU to handle the interaction. I'm not sure how much of a difference it would make, but I would imagine the battery would last measurably less time than if the watch software just didn't turn the display off.

9. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

I was referring to using a small oscillating motor and a drive belt.;) Precisely placing a properly conductive object at the correct force for a long period of time on the screen could be challenging (as is setting up a drive system, but it is an alternative). However if you get it to work report back on your findings.

10. samiznaetekto thread starter macrumors 65816

How about putting it under running water, would it keep the screen on?

11. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

No, I just tried it and it went off.

12. heeloliver macrumors 6502a

heeloliver

You all poo poo on this idea but I would like to know how long the apple watch could last with the screen always on - some people with android wear keep their screen on all day and it survives.

13. samiznaetekto thread starter macrumors 65816

Exactly. My current smartwatch with 300mAh battery lasts 42 hours with screen always on in ambient mode. Now waiting for LG round watch with 410mAh which has even better life with screen on, and brighter/color ambient mode. Just curious how i⌚️ compares.

14. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Why? you want 2 hours of battery life?

15. samiznaetekto thread starter macrumors 65816

To satisfy curiosity. I used my smartwatch for some time and then, just out of curiosity, thought, "well, I wonder how long it will stay on with the clock always on?" (i.e. in ambient mode) So I set it to this mode and set it aside until it was about to die. 42 hours.

Curiosity, curiosity... have none? it's ok, need not apply.

16. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Out of curiosity I wonder how hot the watch will get with the screen on all the time.

17. Phil Holland macrumors regular

Maybe a sticky booger.

18. friedmud macrumors 65816

Use an iPad stylus. I have one, and I would try it... but I don't want to accidentally burn in or damage my screen :)

19. p3ntyne, May 4, 2015
    Last edited: May 4, 2015

p3ntyne macrumors 6502

p3ntyne

You've taken the idea of an always on display completely wrong. It should be a mostly black, graphic free replacement for the 'off' screen. When you raise your wrist, it should activate. That means, you don't waste all your battery and notifications remain private.

Also, burn in would be a big problem. That's why OLED watch displays with always on capability shift side to side of minute or so.

Unless Apple does that, figurating out how to keep the display on is going to difficult, a waste of battery and shows your notifications to everyone.