Screen - Antiglare or glass?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AndreyATC, Sep 2, 2011.

1. AndreyATC macrumors newbie

Hello folks!
    I'm new to the forum
    Finally decided to convert to Mac from PC
    Getting MBP 17 soon
    Facing some dilemma with screen
    I like the appearance of glass and price/availability point better
    But i also like my wife's air with antiglare screen which doesnt reflect every tiny light source
    Glare aside, do you guys think these screens are equal in picture quality?
    Do you sacrifice anything by going antiglare?

P.S. Seen them both side -by-side at Apple store, but still cannot make up my mind

2. cfII macrumors regular

3. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

I've got the glossy myself and wouldn't trade it for anything...

You might want to read through this thread for a ton of opinions:

Glossy VS Anti-Glare

4. bb426 macrumors 6502

bb426

I love the glass. IMO, the antiglare makes my MBP look old and cheap.

Though ironically, it's more expensive.

If you find seeing a reflection a lot when in bright light conditions often, you might want the antiglare. It's almost impossible to see the glass screen in sunlight, but I can deal with it. Don't get me wrong, the antiglare is nice to use. But...

I feel like the screen is better protected with the glass anyways.

The difference is also the brighter aluminum around the screen with the antiglare and the black around the screen with the glass. I feel like the black is much more pleasing to the eye.

5. blunti macrumors 6502a

antiglare for sure. unless you want to use the screen as a mirror ;)

6. bb426 macrumors 6502

bb426

Hahah hey hey hey definitely not the most ridiculous excuse you get 2 for the price as one some people need this :D ;)

7. AndreyATC thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, honestly i was expecting AG to look somewhat worse than glossy
    Knowing from TVs, it's always glossy that has better PQ
    However, i could not figure out which looked better
    Again, it was in the store, side by side 17'' 2011 MBPs
    This latest AG is so good!
    Just wanted a few more opinions on this exact monitor

P.S. my wife's air with AG is nowhere near in PQ with this new screen
    Something changed recently?
    AGs got much better?

8. marshallbedsaul macrumors 6502a

marshallbedsaul

not to thread jack, but if my screen breaks on my 2011 and is covered under apple care can I pay the difference and get hi res antiglare replacement?

9. DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

All sizes of MacBook Pros, both in glossy and antiglare, have higher quality screens than the Airs.

10. kappaknight macrumors 68000

kappaknight

The Air has glossy w/o the glass. The Air is not AG.

With that said, there are many threads on this already... you should only pick the one you like after checking it out in person. Depending on what environment you work in, AG may be a great choice. Others don't care about the benefits as much... to each their own.

11. Meetster macrumors member

i got the AG because i work a lot outside and the glossy is outside not more than an expensive mirror! i tested it on diffrent places with a 2011 glossy and a AG model ;)

12. bb426 macrumors 6502

bb426

I was hoping the same thing, but instead of the antiglare I'd try the higher res. Don't know the answer though...

Where's that hammer...

13. deadlystriker macrumors regular

deadlystriker

Anti glare definitely. Its beautiful and gives the macbook a more premium look. Less strain on the eyes. Glossy gives me a migraine within minutes of using.

14. DeadPixel217 macrumors member

Anti-glare for sure. Its amazing, I have a 2011 MacBook Pro and a MacBook, the Pro has the anti-glare. Its so much better and personally I think the styling is better compared to without it.

15. Arni99 macrumors regular

I got the glossy as I NEVER use my MBP 17 outside and don't have a window behind me at home.

16. Liquinn Suspended

Not sure what one you should get.

Perhaps glossy if you don't intend taking it outside of the house and anti-glare if you will be using it where there's light or something.

This is worth considering too:

And I *might* get the anti-glare on a MBP next year just to be sure, so if I do want to use it where there's going to be reflections with light and stuff, I'll be fine and not wishing I had bought the anti-glare screen (which only costs 40 pounds or so extra).

Go with how you feel, I hope the above was helpful.

17. bigpoppamac31 macrumors 68000

I had a Macbook (Late 2006) with a glossy screen and now have a 2011 MBP 15" with high res anti-glare. I will never go back to glossy if Apple keeps them as they are. The old Macbook (black and white ones) and the current MBA are glossy but they don't have the glass sheet overtop which makes it worse. If Apple makes the next revision of the MBP the same when it comes to glossy then I personally would't touch it. Yes the glossy is great in clarity and colour but it's too reflective. The anti-glare is so bright, crisp and clear and in my view just as good in colour and less straining on the eyes when reading text. I definitely love the anti-glare.

18. AFPoster macrumors 65816

Got AG in my 2011 15" MBP, best decision I've ever made!

19. XandeR803 macrumors member

+1 for AG. Especially if you work under any sort of fluorescent lighting like I do.

20. randomrazr macrumors 65816

look at my new antgi lare macbook pro and dont tell me it aint sexy XD

Attached Files:

21. tamvly macrumors 6502a

tamvly

I sold my 2007 MBP with AG in order to buy a new MBP 13 (obviously glossy). Love the laptop, hate the screen. Fortunately, I use it almost 100% with an external monitor.

+1 for AG.

22. swedefish macrumors 6502

Gorgeous! This is my next computer as well. Gives me PowerBook vibes wibes in all the right ways :D

23. snaky69 macrumors 603

The answer is no.

24. matins macrumors newbie

In march I bought a 15" 2.0 HR Glossy, I loved it except the screen, I am a photographer and sometimes need to work with the notebook outdoors, and, damned, it is like a mirror out there. Then in july they stoled my macbook (sigh) and I decided to go for the 2.2 HR Antiglare. I definitely love this one more!

25. SurferMan macrumors 65816

Antiglare, glossy sucks, I hate the reflections on mine. Drives me nutz. You don't have to be near the sun/outdoor light, even indoors it glares and reflects like crazy. I got a 13" Pro though and they didn't offer it, if I could go back I would have gotten the 15" just to get the antiglare screen. Also the AG screen looks really sharp and crisp with colors.

I don't know how anybody could like the glossy unless all the reflections and glares like your working on a mirror don't bother them. The people I know with glossy screens, not a single one likes it, few sold their mac's quickly at loss just to buy one with anti-glare.