iPad mini Screen burn-in on new rMini

Discussion in 'iPad' started by comatose81, Nov 14, 2013.

1. comatose81 macrumors 6502a

I am noticing significant screen burn-in on my new 64GB white iPad mini with Retina Display. When I turn the screen off, I can notice faint traces of Candy Crush levels that I had played earlier in the day.

Should I return it??? When do you think Apple will fix this problem???

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If the tablet is not performing to the level you expect it, yes return it. Why settle for issues when the tablet cost you so much money.

3. comatose81 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Can't believe Apple would allow such ********** p*** poor quality in their products. Knew I shouldn't have bought this piece of s*** as soon as I saw the reports of screen problems. ********** Steve is rolling over in his grave.

4. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

Trade it in.

5. mariotr87 macrumors regular

You are the first talking about burn in issues as far as I know. It might be defective. Has anyone else had these problems?

6. Binarymix macrumors 6502a

Apple has been selling piss poor displays long before Jobs passed on.

7. Andrmgic macrumors 6502a

yep.

The one that iFixit took apart had a LG display... LG seems to have trouble making decent quality high dpi displays.. I had 2 bad displays in my retina macbook pro (mid 2012 15") and they were both LG. I finally got a good one and it was samsung.

I really wish Apple would stop using LG and their ****** displays.

8. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

You mean the INVISIBLE burn in issues reported that Apple REJECTED the panels for? :confused:

9. comatose81 thread starter macrumors 6502a

VISIBLE. I don't want to play/see Candy Crush when my iPad is off.

10. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

This is what makes me laugh ... they reject panels for burn-in issues that are apparently invisible.... however let through a whole raft of panels with tint issues.

11. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

It's not burn in but image persistence. ALL LCD displays suffer this retention and there is NO way to element it (until Apple moves to OLED). If you have a bright static screen on for a while you will get it NO matter what you do.

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I've never seen any sort of persistence on my iPhone, iPad, or laptop so if my rMini shows up with it, I'll return it.

13. Andrmgic macrumors 6502a

Not like this they don't.

Most LCDs (even cheap $99 ones) don't have image persistence after a few (like 5) minutes like the faulty displays from LG that we saw in the retina macbook pros or these in the iPad Mini.

14. FrankB1191 macrumors 6502a

Image retention was brought up on this forum regarding the iPad 4. Mine had it if I displayed a black and white checkerboard pattern for 10 minutes, and the switched to a grey screen. The effect lasted for about 2-3 minutes, but I never noticed it before, nor after performing that test.

Seeing an image on a screen that is asleep or turned off sounds weird enough for an exchange.....

15. rmhop81 macrumors 68020

rmhop81

he complains about something in every thread....troll?

----------

quit playing candy crush :D

16. Dave-Z macrumors regular

Me too; had my LG panel replaced with a Samsung and it's much better. Despite Samsung's lack of originality, they do make good displays.

Though I'm not sure if this is the same issue the OP is experiencing. But to the OP: You paid a lot of money, if you're not happy, return it. I would.

17. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Sorry, can't comment on screen burn in as I'm not insane.

Maybe you rocked that karma boat a bit too hard.

:D

18. macduke macrumors 604

macduke

That's complete bullcrap. I've owned plenty of LCD displays. I've owned the iPhone, iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, early 2008 MBP 15", early 2011 MBP 15", mid-2012 rMBP 15", iPad, iPad 2, and have an iPad rMini on the way. I've also owned an old Pentium laptop (IBM?) back in the day, an Inspiron 17", an Olevia 32" HDTV, an LG 42" HDTV, a DoubleSight H-IPS 27" monitor. I also used daily a Mac Pro lab at school with Cinema displays, and have a late 2012 iMac 27" at work.

The only displays I've seen get the image retention were the mid-2012 rMBP, the iPad 2, and the late 2012 iMac at work. The rMBP got worse over time and I returned it. Instead of replacing the unit, Apple actually shipped it to Texas where they installed a new Samsung display. The Samsung display, honest to everything holy, is the most beautiful display I've ever seen. The LG display was extremely distracting since I do a lot of design work. I could clearly see lines overlapping things on the screen. It was a pile of crap. My iPad 2 also had an LG display. It developed retention issues towards the top and bottom of the screen. For instance, I could actually read URLs from Safari when turning the iPad back on, even 5 minutes later. I could see them shining through on the lock screen. If I left it on the home screen, I could make out the top and bottom row of icons on my iPad. It was completely awful. But it didn't start getting bad and noticeable until the one year warranty had expired. It might have started before that. I didn't use the iPad much that summer as I was working an internship at the other end of the state and my wife mainly kept the iPad during that time, and when I came back it looked really bad. Lastly, my work iMac has this issue but it's a bit different. It has more of a vertical component to it—purplish blue lines that go down the screen. They kind of have small gaps between them. It's really weird. It started out being pretty faint, and it's still less noticeable than my rMBP before it was fixed, but I believe it's getting worse over time. LG screens are crap, but my 42" LG HDTV at home is good. It was purchased sometime in 2009 or 2010.

No other displays that I've ever used have had this issue. Just a 2011 iPad 2, and two Macs from 2012. It's a recent issue and not a good sign. We pay more for Apple to get quality. I was impressed with Apple quickly sending my display off for repair, coming back from Texas before the week was out. Now I freaking love my rMBP. It's absolutely gorgeous! I had missed out on the warranty for my iPad 2. This iMac was purchased in the spring of 2013. My work probably bought Apple Care but I'll have to double check. I might have to send it away and use my rMBP for the week.

I just hope my rMini doesn't have this problem! I'll be furious. :mad:

19. bambooshots macrumors 6502a

Maybe Apple was right. Maybe the technology to reliably produce screens of this density on a massive scale doesn't exist yet.

20. Julien, Nov 14, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2013

Julien macrumors G3

Julien

21. master-ceo macrumors 65816

master-ceo

My iPad 1 did this.

22. Brittany246 macrumors 6502a

LOL It makes me laugh every time I read this. The mental images...

Anyway, return it and try to test it out before you leave so you don't end up going back and forth to the store 5 times.

23. betabeta macrumors 6502a

I didn't think Samsung panels were even out yet? How do you know you got a Samsung display?

24. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

Those posts weren't talking about iPad..

25. Charliebird macrumors 6502a

Do you notice an issue when the unit is actually on or only when it's off? If you only notice it when it's off I would call Apple Support to document the issue but not necessary replace it if your happy with it. If you notice it while it is on than it needs to be replaced,