Screen capture during installation

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Texas_Toast, Oct 13, 2016.

1. Texas_Toast macrumors 6502a

Texas_Toast

Is there a way to do screen capture on a brand new MacBook Pro while I set it up?

I want to create a training manual, but don't how to capture things before my new Mac is set up.

Thanks.

2. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Ah, make it a training video, not just a manual (which implies something in print - even Apple doesn't give you much that you can hold and read, and for good reason - most folks wouldn't actually open a "manual".
    Even the name "manual' sounds like a waste of time with a computer :D
    I think a camcorder would do a fine job of recording what is on the screen, and what you do. It would even record you as you explain what you are doing.
    Is this a project where you hope to make some money?

3. Texas_Toast thread starter macrumors 6502a

Texas_Toast

Mostly it would be for me, but if other liked it, I could put it up on a website as a tutorial.

I'm a geek, so I like manuals, personally.

Wish I had money to buy a camcorder, but I just blew several thousand on my new rMBP and iPhone and a bunch of other gear for my business.

4. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

If it is for you, you are doing what is essentially a one-time task. If you RE-install, the setup doesn't happen.
    If you do a clean install, which would be fairly unusual, you may be doing other things, either as prep for that with backups, and organizing your apps, etc, then the manual for a brand new system wouldn't necessarily apply, either - not for you, anyway.
    I prefer to simply find my way through the screens (because i AM an Apple geek - 25 years now). Apple makes that easy, as most are self-explanatory, and usually not seen again after that first time (settings, names, passwords, network setup, etc may seldom change, once you "do the magic"

If, however, you are documenting all of the "setup from new" for your business associates "This is what I did, and here's where I set up the drive encryption, and this is the password that I used, etc", then that's a useful project.
    But, it's also documenting items that are available to anyone, and with simple setup screens, will be much the same when you next do them, and no more difficult than the first time.
    I say this from the perspective of someone who is rapidly approaching 70, and still a geek, and I can say that I hate homemade manuals. I have seen too many that are set up from personal experience, and sometimes are misleading, or simply wrong.

Hmm.... I sit here thinking, and I don't know anyone that does not have a camcorder somewhere, sometimes several in the household.
    Did you forget that you said you have an iPhone (maybe others, too) that can do a fine job of recording job procedures, either photos, or full video?
    Just sayin'...

5. Texas_Toast thread starter macrumors 6502a

Texas_Toast

Maybe you are right.

Glad we don't work together and I'm in charge of doing company documentation! ;)

I don't.

It is still in the unopened box.

After what I just discovered in this thread, I am ready to return both my new Apple products...

http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/how-in-do-i-lock-my-rmbp.2007039/

6. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

I'm guessing that Apple gave up on the Kensington slot - maybe they decided there was not enough vertical space in their design for the interior reinforcement to help that slot work.
    Kensington slots always seemed to me a cheap*** solution. Interesting enough for the thief to ignore at first, but in actuality, a quick yank will break the lock. I have seen too many kensington slots worn out, or broken out. Not much of a theft deterrent for the determined idiot.
    There's other physical solutions that you can consider that don't depend on one small hole in the case.

Anyway, I thought I would offer the idea that you do have a "camcorder" of a sort, and that a device that you already have may work for what you need to do with documenting your business (iPhones are not the only phone with a camera, eh? :D )