Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tonyau

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 27, 2011
I’ve noticed that the M4 pro (nano) is much warmer by comparison to the 5th gen iPad Pro. The old IPad is very similar in color to the XDR Pro display. Even with b&w images tend to be more silvery on the old Pro and more yellow on the new one. I guess it’s the luck of the draw. I remember every new iPhone seemed to have a different white balance.

Have you noticed a difference in color with your IPad Pro?

thelead

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2010
I would expect a warmer white balance/color temperature that is more in line with iPhone OLEDs.

I love reading that both are accurate though lol

Reactions: alecgold

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
All my Apple displays in the last 5 years have been perfect

I don’t understand why people keep cribbing about displays on Apple products

They’re almost always perfect

Reactions: Jackbequickly

tonyau

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 27, 2011
I don’t understand why people keep cribbing about displays on Apple products
I find it frustrating that when working with an image on the iPad and then viewing it on the Mac the overall tone is different and I have to adjust the image. I don’t understand why there can’t be consistency across monitors/screens, especially when (I believe) they are calibrated at time of manufacture. (I realise that there is a reference mode option where some calibration can take place, however one needs a spectrometer which is expensive).

OTH, Apple screens and monitors are really made for video and not for photography - hence Apple using a P3 gamut.

Yes, this is a criticism, and I think it is valid. Apple make great products and if they are not challenged then change takes a long time to happen, if at all.

thelead

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2010
Got my ipad Pro today and as expected, the screen is warmer than the mini-led lcd iPads. That said, I’m pretty sure the previous iPad pros were much cooler than the standard 6500k target.

All that said, this OLED screen is nice and uniform.

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68030
Sep 2, 2015
Got my iPad Pro 11” today I am self admitted “color” Snob had those Pee Yellow iPhone 11 units. I will say my 11” M4 1TB version with 4 Cores is Flawless No “grain” like on Reddit and Colors are Rich and almost 3D. I have my M2 11 iPad Pro side by side and I just can’t go back to the IPS looks Dull next to the Tandem OLED.

My guess is Apple gave priority or binned “perfect” Tandem OLED displays to the 1TB 16GB SKUs with 4Core M4 chips and the flawed or less perfect Displays to Lower tier buyers.

thelead

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2010
Got my iPad Pro 11” today I am self admitted “color” Snob had those Pee Yellow iPhone 11 units. I will say my 11” M4 1TB version with 4 Cores is Flawless No “grain” like on Reddit and Colors are Rich and almost 3D. I have my M2 11 iPad Pro side by side and I just can’t go back to the IPS looks Dull next to the Tandem OLED.

My guess is Apple gave priority or binned “perfect” Tandem OLED displays to the 1TB 16GB SKUs with 4Core M4 chips and the flawed or less perfect Displays to Lower tier buyers.
I doubt it. I’m a color snob as well lol and have a perfect screen on a base 11” pro.

Reactions: klasma

ottolau420

macrumors newbie
May 15, 2024
I got the base 11" pro and found it warmer than my previous 4th gen air. I brought mine to the apple store for comparison but didn't find much difference from the display one. (Maybe mine is a little bit warmer)

frostrambler

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2007
NYC
I’m heading over to the Apple store tomorrow to compare colors on my new 13 inch pro, because they don‘t look as vivid and accurately balanced as my iPad Pro 2022 mini-led. Maybe this is just OLED, but even my OLED iPhone has better colors. The new display seems slightly warmer but also greener, not yellower, it’s bizarre. I’m assuming it’s just my specific one, because I’m seeing few complaints.

Alicia1

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2009
Gold Coast, Australia
I’m heading over to the Apple store tomorrow to compare colors on my new 13 inch pro, because they don‘t look as vivid and accurately balanced as my iPad Pro 2022 mini-led. Maybe this is just OLED, but even my OLED iPhone has better colors. The new display seems slightly warmer but also greener, not yellower, it’s bizarre. I’m assuming it’s just my specific one, because I’m seeing few complaints.

Mine seems to be the same, when I look at my 15 Pro max then look at the 13" iPad, it looks washed out and yellow, maybe even a slight greenish tinge in one area.

I am going to pick up the 11" today and compare. 2nd guessing my original choice of the 13" anyway.

EricaGriffin

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2019
Yep, I am seeing the same. Lovely (not), warm oled with a nice green cast. 2, 13 inch units, 256gb. I figured we would see just this, so I’m not surprised. I hoped it would at least look as nice as my iPhone 15 Pro. Guess I’m sticking with my M2 13 inch. The screen is a lot less bothersome for me to look at. Bummer.

Reactions: dabotsonline

macphoto861

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2021
Well this is a concern. My 11” M1 matches my calibrated MBP’s display reasonably well, so I can freely edit photos on either one. Same with the previous generation 11”, the 10.5” before that, and the 9.something inch before that. If this is no longer the case with the new iPad Pros, that makes them significantly less useful for me.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Well this is a concern. My 11” M1 matches my calibrated MBP’s display reasonably well, so I can freely edit photos on either one. Same with the previous generation 11”, the 10.5” before that, and the 9.something inch before that. If this is no longer the case with the new iPad Pros, that makes them significantly less useful for me.

A similar thought here with the M1 12.9, using Lightroom & Lumafusion.

Reactions: macphoto861

nkarach

macrumors newbie
May 15, 2024
My new 11 inch M4 ipad pro OLED is much much warmer compared to my M1 12.9 MiniLED iPad Pro.

Both True Tone and Night Shift are OFF

Wondering what's up here.

IMG_5396.JPG
IMG_5395.JPG

IMG_5389.JPG
IMG_5388.JPG

nkarach

macrumors newbie
May 15, 2024
Just found out mine also has the grainy display problem other's are complaining about.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.