Screen "corruption" when buying app?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rnspaight, Sep 21, 2012.

1. rnspaight macrumors newbie

In another thread, two of us have seen an odd corruption on the iPhone 5 screen in the area of the keyboard when typing in a password to buy an app. That seems like an odd coincidence. Anyone else?

For me it looks like lines of pixels flickering. It's only happened once. (I don't feel like buying a ton of apps to try to recreate.)

2. adammmk macrumors newbie

This happened to me too on my iPhone 5.

Only happened once when entering my password to buy an app. Quickly grabbed my old phone to take a pic.

[​IMG]

3. trevorlc macrumors member

I had the same thing happen buying a song in the iTunes store but it was to brief for me to get a picture.

4. yep-sure macrumors 6502

yep-sure

Yep, can confirm this also - 64gb White.

Didn't last long enough to get a pic.

5. FastLaneJB macrumors newbie

I've also had this come up. I'm on my 2nd iPhone 5 as the first ones screen wasn't properly sealed and moved on one side when pushed. I'd put a lot of apps on that and never saw it.

My replacement has done it twice in a single night as I load a ton of apps back on (Didn't do a backup of the first one).

I used to repair computers and it looks like a kind of error you'd get from a graphics chip too hot of faulty RAM however I can only seen it on the App Store. I've tried playing Infinity Blade 2 which I consider pretty intense for a graphics chip without any issue.

If it was a hardware fault I'd expect to see it randomly all over the place. I didn't get a picture but my lines seem to appear at the exact same place in the App Store on the keyboard and only for a moment.

So maybe this is a graphics driver or App Store bug but still if that was the case loads of people should have noticed this.

I'm concerned. Not sure if I should get this one replaced or not.

6. starvinmarvin macrumors newbie

You're not alone. There are several threads here and in other forums already. I got the same propem. Played many 3D games: no error. Buying an app: artifacts. And every user seems to have almost the same glitches which seem to appear in the keyboard area only. This fact gives me some hope thst it's a software problem, even if it looks more like a GPU defect.

I dont know what to do. I've seen it on my phone 3 times only, so it's hard to reproduce this issue while standing at the genius bar :/

7. Neil22 macrumors newbie

8. adcx64 macrumors 65816

adcx64

It seems a lot of people are seeing this issue. I have not seen it yet on my model. Hopefully it is software based.

Boy does apple have a lot of bugs to iron out in iOS 6.1!

9. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

It's got to be software based - happens to me on my 4S, and I've seen a lot of thread posts about it as well. Did NOT happen pre-iOS6.

10. starvinmarvin macrumors newbie

Wait, it happens on your 4s? Since ios 6? I'm feeling better now. Must be software related...

11. bmwjeff macrumors newbie

happens here too in the app store.. iphone 5 32gb

12. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

I see the same lines on the keyboard on my 4S.

13. jmccullough108 macrumors 6502a

jmccullough108

Happens here too. iPhone 5, 32GB white. Assuming its software based.

14. WhiteHawk macrumors regular

Had this happen first time today, freaked me out thought there was something wrong with the screen but seems to be a software issue as it disappeared when closing the keyboard, it's doesn't just happen on the keyboard though, had it happen when I opened a folder full of apps, seems like they didn't setup the code for overlays completely right to deal with the new taller resolution and maybe that code change is effecting other devices on iOS 6 too.

15. palmerc2 macrumors 65816

palmerc2

16. mateo124 macrumors regular

I had that problem once when I opened a folder. It was there and them disappeared. I don't know if I should be worried or not.

17. iregret macrumors 6502

I wouldn't worry about it. It happened to me while receiving a push notification from Facebook.

Now if its permanently there, I'd be concerned. Geez, everybody on this forum is super sensitive. Lol.

18. Joesmith13245 macrumors regular

This is ridiculous!!! Apple needs to fix this right away! Forget that Maps are worthless, and passbook is...wait..what is passbook again? This needs to be fix or I'm going to switch to Blackberry!

19. Beezzy macrumors 6502

Same thing happening to me! Vzw 64gb black. I thought it was just mine. It has to be a software issue if its just in the iTunes/App Store app

20. deannnnn macrumors 68000

deannnnn

I had this happen when purchasing an app last night as well. If it's software based though, wouldn't it appear in a screenshot? Because I tried to take one and the distortion was not captured, leading me to believe it's a hardware issue. Although what kind of hardware issue would be effected by purchasing apps? It's weird.

21. famoussasjohn macrumors 6502a

famoussasjohn

I'd say it's the phone, if it was a software glitch, 5 million people would be saying something. It's a hardware glitch for sure.

22. Ahonen macrumors 6502

Ahonen

I just tried this twice on my white 16GB and did not see any artifacts. It might be hardware, but if it only happens on the purchasing screen that doesn't seem too likey. If it were software (iOS) then it probably should happen to everyone, unless it is specific to certain models. The other possibility is that it is something else installed, enabled or disabled that is causing it.

Everyone needs to stop posting this stuff because it's making me paranoid and I keep doing all these tests to see if my phone is affected! I have problems.

23. intervenient macrumors 6502a

It's been happening to multiple people across multiple devices, all doing the same thing. I'm going to say its software.

It happened to be twice today, once when opening a folder (that had a game downloading from the App Store), and again when putting my password in the App Store. I don't like this at a, but bugs do happen. I'll contact Apple

16 GB, white, AT&T