Screen differences.. WTF!!!!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by anirudh, Oct 30, 2008.

1. anirudh macrumors 6502

Concluding by all the threads its obvious that the OLD MBP screen is better than the NEW MB screen. Right?? But today when I visit the Apple Store, guess what, the NEW MB screen is way better than the OLD MBP. Is it that particular model or is it generally the case? Coz I am getting a sweet deal here. 2 month old MBP with 512 MB VRAM and 250 GB HD 100 USD less than the NEW MB. But what about the screen?

2. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

It is purely a matter of personal opinion. A lot of people don't like the glossy displays because they are more likely to cause reflections. Graphics designers don't like them because the color accuracy is questionable for their work and a lot of people "don't like them" just because they hear graphics designers say they don't like them so the people follow suit so that they sound knowledgable.

However, in an environment with no rear lighting that would reflect, most all consumers will prefer the new screens. And in the case of watching movies in a dark room, the MacBook screen is generally considered superior.

But as I said, it is mostly personal opinion, so if you like it, get it.

3. ptsube macrumors 6502

And some people don't like them based entirely on there own opinion. I like the new screens, for the most part, but the blacks aren't black. That's my opinion. Not somebody else's opinion that I adopted. Believe it or not, some people can think for themselves. We can even form completely justified judgements.

4. aristobrat macrumors G4

I've never seen a MBP screen that didn't have a better viewing angle than a MB screen.

If you're comparing the new LED-lited MB screen to an older non-LED lited MBP screen, it MBP may not be as bright, but it should still look more accurate when you're viewing it from off angles.

Also, was the screen on the older MBP you used to compare glossy or matte?

5. anirudh thread starter macrumors 6502

"NON-OLED"????? Do the early 2008 macbook pro models have LED or non-LED displays? I thought that MBPs always had LED displays.

6. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

No comparison. The last gen MBP had a much better screen.

7. anirudh thread starter macrumors 6502

also, does the 15 incher come with an option of glossy and matte????

8. aristobrat macrumors G4

MBPs got LED screens about a year ago (June '07). There were three generations before them that didn't have LED. Every generation of MBP before the current one had a choice of glossy/matte.

9. anirudh thread starter macrumors 6502

ok, apart from the 'narrow angle' issue, purely comparing the screen quality (brightness, color reproduction, contrast etc), is the new MB screen better or the previous gen MBP matte screen better?

10. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

Previous MBP.

11. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

I love the entertainment value of Macrumors.

Go look for yourself. Everyone has an opinion and everyone has a different eye for things.

12. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

This is exactly the case. I found as I sat across the room from both a PowerBook (Rev D) and my now-returned MB that the PB even had a better screen. Not as bright but way more detail ... which is saying an awful lot.

13. anirudh thread starter macrumors 6502

screen is that bad huh??? it seems I need to check by playing some videos. Any recommended movies that I should watch both on the new MB and the old MBP to compare?

14. Philflow macrumors 65816

You can't really say the screen is 'good' or 'bad'. Also keep in mind that there are different panels going around.

I have only experienced the C89 panel. The brightness is excellent and it's quite evenly lit in most cases. The contrast is mediocre. The blacks aren't really black but more dark greyish, unless one makes the screen really dim. White tones are hard to get neutral white without cranking up the brightness a lot.

Actually the display looks a bit better in XP with digital vibrance enabled in the Nvidia driver.

The old Macbook uses a CCFL backlight, while the new MB uses LED backlight. The also uses different glossy layers so the comparison is crooked.

If you compare the new Macbook to other LED screens in it's class it comes out pretty poor. Dell 1330, Lenovo U330, Sony SR, SZ, Z all have better screens.

Maybe one day Apple will understand that there is a market for 13" Macbook Pro's.

My Macbook is going back to store and I'm getting a MBA instead. Excellent screen on the MBA by the way.

15. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Try the steve jobs keynote from the apple site. It's what convinced the genius to let me return my MB without a restocking fee.

16. CBillups1 macrumors 6502a

CBillups1

new macbook screen is way better than the old

17. MacJenn macrumors regular

LOL Keep saying that to yourself to make yourself feel better for buying the overpriced Macbook with horrible screen. BTW there is no need to lie to make yourself feel better. Numerous articles and people on here have stated the new one's screen isn't any better than the old one. The old one has better blacks and overall was just as good. When you get Apple employees to admit to it you know it is the truth.

I got my new Macbook Pro and it is great. I'm glad I got rid of the alu crapbook. Plus the Apple store didn't charge me a return fee because they said they are getting a lot of complaints about the new one and people wanting their money back. They chalk it up to poor QC I guess.

18. fearlessphil macrumors newbie

yep yep the screen on the previous macbook is much better.

19. Philflow macrumors 65816

In the previous Macbook it's likely they also used different panels, so saying they were better or worse does not really work.

Also, 'better' and 'worse' are subjective terms. While some people are referring to blacklevels, the other might be referring to brightness or viewing angles.

20. nishishei macrumors regular

Bs

Bull. The old MBP screen is leagues above the old/new MB screen. For all purposes, the old MBP screen is the same as the new MBP screen except it's matte. You get real blacks on the old MBP screen, as opposed to the washed out crap of the new MB.

21. nishishei macrumors regular

Without a doubt: the previous gen MBP is better. The new MB screen is craptastic in every possible way except brightness compared to the old non-LED MB screen.

22. PresentACat macrumors regular

Correct. I am right now waiting for TNT to arrive to take my Aluminium Macbook away because it CANNOT reproduce anything close to black at the top and bottom simultaneously from ANY angle. That is a fact.

23. MacinJosh macrumors 6502a

Agree 100%. However, I think I can live with it. Until Apple recalls them for a new screen, I'm keeping mine.

Joshua.

24. PresentACat macrumors regular

They won't, but if you can live with it fine. It is certainly not unuseable, but since I can live without the Macbook for just now I am not willing accept a screen on a £1150 laptop that I wouldn't accept on a £300 one.

25. pixelated macrumors 6502a

pixelated

In my opinion, just opinion mind, i really like my new mbp screen.
    i do prefer it to the matt option of the old mbp mainly for the beautiful colour saturation, and the black edging which really frames it well. I cant compare it to the old glossy Mbp, or new MB, but one of my previous machines; the Dell XPS 1710 was equipped with a gloss screen, and apple have done a better job by far!
    Havent tried it on a bright sunny day outdoors yet (unfortunate lack of them in the UK atm) but it doesnt worry me. For all the upset and worry about glare from the sun seems a little immaterial as these laptops are PORTABLE machines, just turn around;)