Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kockgunner

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2007
Vancouver, Canada
It looks like I've officially entered the lottery. The replacement one I got for my initial one with really bad interlacing developed a connectivity problem. One day it go so hot while I was browsing under 3G that I had to set it aside to cool down (I was only on Twitter without location services enabled). After that my data connection under 3G became simply unreliable, LTE would work fine but as soon as it would go back to 3G or 2G, I'd have a full signal but the data connection wouldn't work.

Walked into to the Apple Store with it, got a replacement one cosmetically perfect but with the interlacing issue again. I'm gonna hold on until iOS7 becomes available because the issue seems to be mainly noticeable under blue/gray colors and considering the amount of white on iOS7, it should stop bothering me.

The interesting thing is that this replacement phone was manufactured at the same factory of my previous replacement phone which had very very little interlacing.
God knows what's gonna be the manufacturing issue when the 5S is released...

I'm on iOS 7 and I thought it would solve the annoyance but even with bright colours, there is still interlacing apparent on areas like on the background of a folder, the address bar in Safari, and other areas that are still grey. I don't know how bad it is on your device, but even if you can't make out the interlacing all the time, colours just look less solid and the screen just doesn't seem Retina.

I've seen threads on devices as early as the 3G about interlacing, but it certainly seems it's more widespread on the 5, or maybe it seems so because more people have iPhones now.

RJCP

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2011
I'm on iOS 7 and I thought it would solve the annoyance but even with bright colours, there is still interlacing apparent on areas like on the background of a folder, the address bar in Safari, and other areas that are still grey. I don't know how bad it is on your device, but even if you can't make out the interlacing all the time, colours just look less solid and the screen just doesn't seem Retina.

I've seen threads on devices as early as the 3G about interlacing, but it certainly seems it's more widespread on the 5, or maybe it seems so because more people have iPhones now.

I know. It's a really annoying problem and you'd really expect that on a 500£+ device they'd get the screen refresh rates properly calibrated. I will be lying if I said it didn't bother me because it does. It's like trying to watch a FullHD movie in a TV with bad signal.
My reluctance to have it swapped again is what will be the problem of the next one, you know? Neither my 3GS or my 4S had this problem, but all the 5's I've had so far have had this problem in different degrees. The first replacement one (the one which developed a fault in the antenna) was the less noticeable.
Quality control in these Chinese factories is really terrible. My first iphone 5 was a mess of out of the box cosmetic faults plus the really bad interlacing on the screen. The second, more hardware problems but cosmetically perfect. This one, cosmetically perfect but fuzzy screen again.

But you know something curious I've noticed? NONE of the apple store display models have this problem. On the other hand, when I check other retailers' display models, they all have the interlacing issue with variable intensity.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
I feel bad for people who have this issue :(

putting up with it must be agonizing

you can bet 5S will probably have it too

kockgunner

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2007
Vancouver, Canada
I know. It's a really annoying problem and you'd really expect that on a 500£+ device they'd get the screen refresh rates properly calibrated. I will be lying if I said it didn't bother me because it does. It's like trying to watch a FullHD movie in a TV with bad signal.
My reluctance to have it swapped again is what will be the problem of the next one, you know? Neither my 3GS or my 4S had this problem, but all the 5's I've had so far have had this problem in different degrees. The first replacement one (the one which developed a fault in the antenna) was the less noticeable.
Quality control in these Chinese factories is really terrible. My first iphone 5 was a mess of out of the box cosmetic faults plus the really bad interlacing on the screen. The second, more hardware problems but cosmetically perfect. This one, cosmetically perfect but fuzzy screen again.

But you know something curious I've noticed? NONE of the apple store display models have this problem. On the other hand, when I check other retailers' display models, they all have the interlacing issue with variable intensity.

I don't recall ever seeing a fuzzy screen in any display model anywhere either. Maybe it has to do with how long they're on? Tell me about it, I went through 4-5 iPhones 5s due to dents, camera freezing, dust in the lens, and interlacing before I got one with just acceptable cosmetic condition and interlacing (it still wasn't as good as my iPhone 4. However as I mentioned, that good unit got stolen :(

Triangle Man

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2012
Add me to the list of people with the scan line problem. My iPhone 4 had a flawless screen, so when I'm upgrading to a new iPhone, I'd expect the screen to be equal or better. It feels more like I downgraded quality and got speed.

I think I'm going to return it this afternoon so that I don't drive myself crazy with this issue and go back to using my iPhone 4 which works just fine and the screen looks great.

chocoyo00

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2012
SoCal
I got tired of looking at my interlacing screen today, so I decided to setup a Genius Bar appointment, I set the test image as wallpaper and upon seeing it the Apple Genius saw what I was talking about right away, so he offered to replace the display.
They had to test a couple before they got it right, but I now have a beautiful display! I can finally put my OCD to rest, or at least until I find something else wrong lol :)

kockgunner

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2007
Vancouver, Canada
After my phone got stolen, I got another white F2 serial iPhone 5 which had interlacing. I went to the Apple Store and got a DQ replacement with interlacing. Then I replaced that one with an F1 which was still interlaced. I hope I don't sound entitled but after an X number of replacements I threw away courtesy and just kept going to the Apple Store in hopes I'd get a normal phone.

So I set up another appointment and the genius this time actually could see my problem and and let me have a replacement. The manager was nice enough to let me avoid certain serials but they didn't have any of my model in store so I asked if I could go to another store 10 min away. They agreed, but the manager at store #2 would not let me pick and choose. She said there's not enough data to conclude certain serials have faults. She also said Apple don't categorize phones by serials. They already had their "most efficient" genius go through their phones and they can't possibly search through all of them. I know they can't go through every phone but I'm disappointed they couldn't give that extra effort to end this saga and try to find a DN phone.

The genius said he is aware they my phone had "vertical banding on a neutral grey surface" and he said all phones come from the same factory (untrue) and that even new retail box phones have he same serial numbers (so what).

To conclude they gave me another F2 phone which of course was interlaced and said my phone can no longer be replaced for the screen issue. However they would of course replace it if there was a "legitimate problem". I've gone through 7-8 iPhone 5s and have had the interlacing issue on all phones except my first phone which was DN. I can't believe this issue still persists after months and with the 5S on the horizon. Apple doesn't acknowledge this is even a problem. It's a shame because all my friends who can't see the issue have DN phones on their first try with good screens while I've been getting mostly F2 phones with interlaced screens no matter if it was a replacement or a new phone.

In the future I won't buy into Apple's illusion of precision and just assume every iPhone is an improvement of the last. It seems I will have to look at all the forum posts and see if there are any issues like these that Apple will not acknowledge.

Last edited:

Triangle Man

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2012
After my phone got stolen, I got another white F2 serial iPhone 5 which had interlacing. I went to the Apple Store and got a DQ replacement with interlacing. Then I replaced that one with an F1 which was still interlaced. I hope I don't sound entitled but after an X number of replacements I threw away courtesy and just kept going to the Apple Store in hopes I'd get a normal phone.

So I set up another appointment and the genius this time actually could see my problem and and let me have a replacement. The manager was nice enough to let me avoid certain serials but they didn't have any of my model in store so I asked if I could go to another store 10 min away. They agreed, but the manager at store #2 would not let me pick and choose. She said there's not enough data to conclude certain serials have faults. She also said Apple don't categorize phones by serials. They already had their "most efficient" genius go through their phones and they can't possibly search through all of them. I know they can't go through every phone but I'm disappointed they couldn't give that extra effort to end this saga and try to find a DN phone.

The genius said he is aware they my phone had "vertical banding on a neutral grey surface" and he said all phones come from the same factory (untrue) and that even new retail box phones have he same serial numbers (so what).

To conclude they gave me another F2 phone which of course was interlaced and said my phone can no longer be replaced for the screen issue. However they would of course replace it if there was a "legitimate problem". I've gone through 7-8 iPhone 5s and have had the interlacing issue on all phones except my first phone which was DN. I can't believe this issue still persists after months and with the 5S on the horizon. Apple doesn't acknowledge this is even a problem. It's a shame because all my friends who can't see the issue have DN phones on their first try with good screens while I've been getting mostly F2 phones with interlaced screens no matter if it was a replacement or a new phone.

In the future I won't buy into Apple's illusion of precision and just assume every iPhone is an improvement of the last. It seems I will have to look at all the forum posts and see if there are any issues like these that Apple will not acknowledge.

Man, that sucks. I feel bad for you. I too have had lots of issues with screens in the past. On a device which boasts about it's screen quality, it certainly detracts from that.

burnswuff

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2011
I had to return my F2 for a different problem. As far as I could tell, there was no interlacing. It was production week 40. I used all the test images, magnifying glass, etc. I even compared it to my 4S. Unless I'm doing it wrong, I couldn't tell a difference as pronounced as those in the comparison photos.

Dimitrissg

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2013
Greece
Screen interlacing serial numer starting with F2

I have a week 42 iphone 5s F2. Can you explain me how can i understand the flickering? I set the attached image as wallpaper and lock screen and i did not notice anything strange but i am not sure. When i move the picture at the gallery left and right it flashes and discolorises. Is this the problem?

Generally the screen has solid colors without grey lines.

Last edited:

gCloud

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
United Federation of Planets
I have a week 42 iphone 5s F2. Can you explain me how can i understand the flickering? I set the attached image as wallpaper and lock screen and i did not notice anything strange but i am not sure. When i move the picture at the gallery left and right it flashes and discolorises. Is this the problem?

Generally the screen has solid colors without grey lines.

best advice is that if you are happy with the screen in everyday use don't go looking for issues.

As per the other thread if you want to test for the issue, open the image in the link below in safari, then touch until the save image options comes up, if the image starts to flicker then the issue is there.

I must say that apart from this issue the F2 unit i have seems fine, the colours are fine, blacks are more black than the C3 unit and not even a hint of light bleed. i don't notice the flicker without looking for it, then again I only had it a couple of hours.

Dimitrissg

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2013
Greece

I have some interesting update. No interlacing, no flickering at home page, no flickering at lock screen. It happens only at these steps: full brightness, go to the first page of this thread at the post of the attached image. Select the post and choose web view. Go to the image and select open in safari. Press until pop up "save image" appears.

Last edited:

gCloud

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
I have some interesting update. No flickering at home page, no flickering at lock screen. It happens only at these steps: full brightness, go to the first page of this thread at the post of the attached image. Select the post and choose web view. Go to the image and select open in safari. Press until pop up "save image" appears. Now the screen flickers.

Please can you follow that steps to give me feedback? Because at first i was sure my screen was ok but with these steps flickering is here

As per my previous post, I have an F2 and a C3 right now the f2 flickers when the save image option appears and the C3 does not.
The F2 seems to have darker (nicer) blacks and not even a hint of light bleed/ips hue.
I haven't noticed any lines in any icons like others have mentioned in the thread.

Dimitrissg

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2013
Greece

Exactly the same with you! No bleeding, dark black! No interlacing. I checked several photos an no flickering. What special has the attached photo and flickering appears?

gCloud

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
Exactly the same with you! No bleeding, dark black! No interlacing. I checked several photos an no flickering. What special has the attached photo and flickering appears?

I have been at this for half an hour in the light and in the dark with brightness on full and other than the flickering that occurs with the test using the image from the op, I could not find and "interlacing" going on no lines visible on any colour icons, no difference between the two units.
My advice to you is to just enjoy the phone and stop looking for issues.
Does your sleep/power button rattle? ;)

bigcstyle4

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2012
i dont have any problem but technically whats going on with that grey pic. so simple.

It's an image of alternating vertical lines of 1px. It's not displayed 1:1 anymore on iOS 7 so setting it as wallpaper won't do anything anymore. It's sometimes not displayed properly in Safari either.

Since the lines are 1px in width, if you have a screen with the scan line problem it would cause the display to bug out under certain conditions: wallpaper in iOS 6, tap & hold to save in iOS 7. Pretty much a condition where the screen would dim.

If you don't see a problem then just enjoy your phone. No need to go searching for something that isn't causing you grief.

bigcstyle4

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2012
Here's a better one. You only need to open it in Safari. No need to save or do anything else.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    156.2 KB · Views: 190
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.