Screen not bright enough anymore?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bloodycape, Feb 18, 2008.

1. bloodycape macrumors 65816

My MBP, which is the original CD model with a glossy screen as of recently doesn't seem a bright as it use to be. In like everything I do the screen seems a little darker than before even though it is at full brightness. I played around with the settings and I seemed I could not find a fix. Could it be possible that my display be going bad? Is there any way to check for it going bad?

2. AndyK macrumors 6502a

AndyK

It's most likely age taking its toll unfortunately :(

Hope you find a solution though, you might be able to get it replaced cheaply, but I doubt it :(

3. MacDann macrumors 6502a

MacDann

A good endorsement for buying AppleCare.

MacDann

4. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

I don't think apple care will cover that it's just the nature of CCFL Backlights they loose there brightness after a while.

5. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

6. MacDann macrumors 6502a

MacDann

"Loose?" You mean "lose," I believe....;) (sorry, I'm a teacher and spelling/grammar is something that I get crazy about!)

Yes, but if the brightness on mine dropped off significantly, you can rest assured I would be at the Genius Bar requesting a repair.

That's one of the few complaints I have with the MBP, at least the model (2Ghz CD) I have - the sensor for the keyboard backlighting and display is far too sensitive, and in some cases, kicks in when it's not necessary.

MacDann

7. forafireescape macrumors 6502a

forafireescape

I agree. If it's the original CD and all of that, I'm assuming it's relatively older than most models...it wouldn't hurt to visit a genius bar though and see what they have to say.

8. bloodycape thread starter macrumors 65816

Well I still have Apple Care on it so would that make a difference?

9. MacDann macrumors 6502a

MacDann

By all means! In fact, I would think that you have a far better chance of them doing something about it as a result.

The only issue I could foresee is haggling over what the original brightness was compared to what it is now....

Let us know how it goes.

MacDann

10. bloodycape thread starter macrumors 65816

Well I need to go anyways to get my battery replaced as it is loosing life over the almost 2 years of usage. So yes. But, yeah for some reason it just feels a little dull and not as bright as before. Any other thoughts?

11. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

...because its old..i have a two year old HP that yes, compared to my brothers brand new HP its dim...honestly did you not read any of the replies?

12. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Batteries lose capacity over usage and time. I have a Dell FP2001 and it's rather dim compared to the brand new FP1708s we have.

A small reminder but the batteries are on their own one year warranty and not covered by AppleCare.

13. motulist macrumors 601

motulist

At 2 years, it's to be expected that the lcd is now not as bright. It's just the way the technology works. All LCDs lit by fluorescent light bulbs will grow dimmer over time, just as all regular fluorescent light bulbs that light your house will do. Laptop LCD screens lit by CCFL seem to lose (not "loose," right teacher? ;) ) brightness especially quickly, probably due to their limited depth size if I had to guess. LED backlit LCD screens supposedly grow dim more slowly than CCFL.

14. bloodycape thread starter macrumors 65816

Really that is not what apple care people told me. I guess I will find out later on in the week.

So I guess I will have to see what an apple tech says about the brightness. I hope they can fix it.

15. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

asking is free, just dont count on them doing anything

16. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I've called AppleCare Higher Education twice on battery issues and that is what I was told both times. They were still kind enough to replace the batteries out of their one year warranties'.

You're more then likely going to get the same LCDs get dimmer as the age story from them as well.

17. bloodycape thread starter macrumors 65816

So I guess there is no other option for the screen then. Thank you.

18. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

most likely not, but like we said, theres no harm in asking

19. bloodycape thread starter macrumors 65816

20. secretpact macrumors 6502

Do the current MBPs use CCFL still? or are they LED? What about MBs?

21. ibricking.com macrumors newbie

You should be okay? I had a similar issue with my powerbook 12in and apple replaced it at no cost because of my apple care.

22. kvasir macrumors regular

I have noticed this lately on mine too. I thought it was because I had calibrated my LCD again, but I changed it back to the default settings and noticed that the whites weren't as bright and the colors didn't pop like they had in the past. Mine's coming up on two years old and I'd imagine that if I took it in to Apple, they'd say it's within spec. This machine has another year of applecare left on it, so if the LCD gets any worse or fails completely, I'll take her in.

Do you live near an Apple Store? Worst case scenario is you take it in and they tell you that they can't do anything. Best case: you walk out with a new LCD. Either way, it couldn't hurt to try!

23. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

15.4" MacBook Pro uses LEDs while the MacBook still uses CCFLs.

24. bloodycape thread starter macrumors 65816

how much longer do LED last for if they do last longer?

25. winchest macrumors regular

Did you have any luck with AppleCare on the screen issue?

My CD MacBook is awful with respect to brightness. I hardly want to use it anymore.