Screen on my 13" MBP much brighter after Snow Leopard

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by teerexx52, Aug 28, 2009.

1. teerexx52 macrumors 68000

teerexx52

I just did a clean install of Snow Leopard on my MacBook Pro 2.26. My screen is much much brighter now than it was. On battery I am running it on one click above dark. On AC power on less than half what I had it set to before for the same brightness. Really an unusual outcome I would say. Anyone have any thoughts?

2. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

Your screen is probably set to some new default calibration.

3. teerexx52 thread starter macrumors 68000

teerexx52

When I first got this machine last month I loaded at least a dozen MacBook pro calibrations into it that people had posted on these boards but none affected the brightness like this one does. Not even close. No complaints though:)

4. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Snow Leopard defaults to a different gamma. It uses 2.2, instead of the traditional Mac 1.8. That results in a bit more contrast and saturation. If you want, you can create a custom calibration and set it back to 1.8. See: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3712

5. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

Prepare to see 500 of these threads for people who don't know what GAMMA is before posting... and the change reported by Apple.

6. teerexx52 thread starter macrumors 68000

teerexx52

Thanks. I lust did that but still no comparison to before. This screen is way way brighter now than it was before. Again, no complaints.

7. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

I found that OS X will revert back to the default/original profile "Color LCD". You have to change it back to the profile you had before the upgrade.

8. teerexx52 thread starter macrumors 68000

teerexx52

Yes, I did but the panel is still way way brighter than it was which is a good thing

9. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

I'm not sure about that behavior, myself, but in any case the "Color LCD" in Snow Leopard is set for 2.2 - it's a different profile than the one by the same name in Leopard.

10. normandy7 macrumors member

I noticed the increase in brightness immediately. As others have mentioned, SL reverted back to the Color LCD profile. I changed it back to the one I had been previously using but it still seems much much brighter than before. Has anyone created a new profile for SL? If so, please post.

11. nicoplanet macrumors regular

nicoplanet

Let me guess: you have a 9CC2 panel on your MBP?

It's absolutely not gamma related, since we are talking about backlight level here! I'm in the same situation, and you are perfectly right: the backlight level 1 is equivalent to level 8 on your previous Leopard installation, but also equivalent to level 8 on other panels found in MBP 13" (9CBD etc.).

I my opinion it's a bug in Snow Leopard: but let me know, is it a 9CC2???
    Do you have made a clean install, or an upgrade?

If you upgrade, the default profile is probably "Display", and not "Color LCD", as usual... There's no link with the brightness level, but this bug seems to also occurs on 9CC2 panels MBP.

Give me an update about that!

Thanks! :D

12. apeescape macrumors newbie

I had the same exact problem with my 10.6 install. The lowest brightness settings (even after calibration) was burning my eyes even in my room with 5PM sunlight. So I just installed Shades. Buggy, but it extends the range of possible brightness settings.

13. teerexx52 thread starter macrumors 68000

teerexx52

So this seems to happen with just the 9CC2 panel?

14. nicoplanet macrumors regular

nicoplanet

9CC2 panel??? :confused:

In my opinion, yes! But not sure right now... Need more users feedback ;-)

15. kolax macrumors G3

Try reverting back to the 1.8 gamma and then switch back to the 2.2 gamma and see if it is just your eyes being deceived that the screen is brighter when it is just the colours that are richer.

16. nicoplanet macrumors regular

nicoplanet

That's definitely backlight related in my case: not a gamma setting problem, since the situation remain the same at 1.8 ou 2.2 :)

17. nicoplanet macrumors regular

nicoplanet