Screen protector 3gs??

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by loskickking23, Nov 18, 2009.

1. loskickking23 macrumors 6502a

I just wanted to know is it worth putting a screen protector on the 3gs? I also wanted to know how many of you guys actually don't use a screen protector and don't have any scratches....I have actually had an iPhone since the 1st gen and have always used screen protectors and cosidering not useing one on the 3gs....good idea or bad idea?

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

I never put a screen protector on my 1st Gen, end result, after 2 years of usage, many scratches showed and some where very visible. Much more scratches are even seen with sunlight at the right angle.

However, I am not repeating the same mistake, so I put in a screen protector, which thus far, as performed great and saved my screen many scratches.

3. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

My first-generation was fine without one, my 3G was not, my father's 3GS also suffered scratches.

4. nehunte macrumors 6502

nehunte

The 3G seems extremely scratch resistant, however the 3Gs needs one to simply protect the oleophobic layer from getting scratched up. Seems like backward logic but I've seen a lot of 3Gs iPhones with scratches on the screen.

5. XciteMe macrumors 6502

Anybody who tells you you NEED one is false. You take care of your iPhone, and make a conscience effort to, and it won't be scratched. Don't put it in your pocket full of keys and coins, don't place things on top of it, etc. etc. My 3GS had no screen protector and for 4 months all it got was one TINY minuscule scratch that was very faint. And that probably came from letting kids use it with their unmanicured fingernails.

6. Nine9si macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A400 Safari/528.16)

Bare naked 3gs with no scratches. Just like the above post. Don't put in pockets and becareful where you lay it. I use one of those hip cases. you don't need protection to play safe ;)

7. greygray macrumors 68000

greygray

It's a good idea. It could possibly prevent those nasty deeper scratches which the iPhone's screen may not possibly handle on its own.

8. rtc872 macrumors member

I have only ever had a 3gs so compared to the others I don't know. However I put a cover on mine the moment I got it and don't even know what it would feel like without a shield.

Having said that I like the shield becuase it doesn't show as many smudges as I was led to believe and I have that peace of mind that I have accidental protection. Also because of the cover I use anything to wipe the screen clean be it denim or coarse polyester.

Better safe than sorry

9. loskickking23 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm thinking I'm going to go with a screen protector

10. trssho macrumors 6502

I removed my anti glare that was on there for 3 weeks, and its sooooo nice to see my screen again. Those things are like looking through a fogged up windshield. I have used the crystal clears, and may return to one, but the smudges are distracting on those. So I will be enjoying my screen again without the p.o.s. anti glare.

Andy

11. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

During my 2 years of owning iPhones, I've discovered that the screen is the toughest part of the device.
    I've used protectors, but those things pick up scratches so easily, that they quickly become irritating. The 3GS' screen is simply awesome when naked, but I'm still careful of how I treat it.
    The only protection I have, is a Wrapsol skin on the back, so I can lay it on a table without worrying.

Basically, I've never had a scratch on the screens.

12. hsk macrumors regular

IMO, the 3GS screen is so nice on its own, I could not bring myself to have a screen protector on more than a day. I have tried them 3 times and usually pull them off after a day. I have had mine since June and I take pretty good care of it (always carried in an empty pants pocket) and have no scratches. Now after 4 months with it, I don't even really think about it any more.

13. loskickking23 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah...I also baby mine....it's carried in a soft holster on my hip and never in my pocket...

14. nehunte macrumors 6502

nehunte

You'll be surprised at the amount of holsters that will scratch phones. Get a good feel for the inside of the holster before you buy. Feel out any sharp points or edges.

15. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

No one needs one. But it's a very good idea to have one.

16. dread macrumors 6502a

finger nails and keys will not scratch the screen. You need a material harder than glass to scratch it. For example, a grain of sand will scratch the screen, but taking keys to the screen will not do anything.

17. zdblue11 macrumors member

zdblue11

always more safe to get a screen protector
    and if you're like me and keep your iphone in your pocket, it's a must.