Screen protector, do you use?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by 24usedtorock, Feb 27, 2011.

?

Do you use a screen protector on your phone?

1. Yes

77 vote(s)
    57.0%
  2. No

58 vote(s)
    43.0%
  1. 24usedtorock macrumors regular

Personally I go Commando now.

Recently I spent $20 on a BS screen protector called the Invisi-Shield, you are supposed to....
    1. dab fingertips in supplied cleaning solution to minimize prints
    2. apply light coat of solution on each side of the protector
    3. use a squeegee accessory to comb over air bubbles
    Even doing all of the above, the screen isn't perfect so I said the hell with it...

2. APtalent macrumors regular

I used Zagg's Invisible Shield for 6 months and I applied it perfectly. Unless you're some incompetent 'tard, spraying some liquid and applying a plastic film shouldn't be too hard... Not to mention the squeegee. It eliminates all the air bubbles trapped inside.

I purchased a PixelSkin HD case and it pinched my Zagg's shield corners. I'm waiting for the SGP screen protector to ship tomorrow.

3. Necrodox macrumors newbie

I also use Zagg's Invisible Shield, I love the thing.

If you applied the product correctly it is wonderful, it adds some grip to the device and still allows it to show off the iPhone's beauty.

4. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

I have never used a screen protector on any of my iPhones, and have never had any scratches. IMO, they are a waste of time and money on an iPhone, with hardened glass.

5. macuserjhs macrumors regular

I just ordered a gelaskin with the gelascreenprotector combo with it so I will be using that when it comes in the mail. I had the att iphone 4 and always had a zagg on it but i just got my verizon iphone 4 on the 7th and just used a case. I am planning on just using the gelaskin and screen protector now.

6. lsvtecjohn3 macrumors 6502a

x2 I'm sorry but I LoL when I read that the TS spent $20 on a screen protector.

7. ulbador macrumors 68000

ulbador

Hey! I am the kind of tard that would mess it up! With that said, I paid best buy 7$ to apply it and it's flawless.

My AT&T phone got scratched to hell. Even my plastic shirt button seemed enough to put gashes in it. So far, the zagg seems to be protecting it just fine, plus it comes with a warranty and they will replace it for free when it fails

8. ThaDoggg macrumors 6502a

ThaDoggg

I use a SGP oleo. You do need to use something because as strong as the glass may be it will still get light scratches. I find those quite annoying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Eric8199 macrumors 6502a

Powersupport shields all the way. Front and back on my iPhone 4. My first iPhone 4 got scratched very easily. Had it replaced for a different issue and have had the screen protectors on it since.

10. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

11. vong macrumors 6502a

vong

12. tandersn9 macrumors member

iWrap

I've used the invisible shield dry application version in the past and found it to be "passable".

However, the other day I received the iWrap front, back, sides and top skins. they put the invisible shield to shame much clearer, less "orange peel effect" and I also think they are ten bucks cheaper. Not to mention they also have the lifetime warranty, I'd HIGHLY recommend checking out iWrap's stuff. :)

13. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Took it off my 4 a few weeks ago and never looked back. The screen is absolutely incredible without one. A majority of iPhone owners will never realize that though...

For the 5, I'm going to go naked from day one.

14. MUBiomed macrumors 6502

MUBiomed

Funny thing is that I would never pay anyone to install since they wouldn't do a good enough job for my standards lol. To each his own though since I am more than a little OCD with my devices. I only put an IS on the back so I can sit it on tables without worrying though, the front is free and clear. :D

15. bas.o macrumors newbie

bas.o

friendly reminder, some people wear diamond stud earrings. Diamonds will scratch any surface (and leave faint tiny scratches), I learned the hard way.:apple:

16. ajohnson253 macrumors 68000

ajohnson253

This is what I'm wearing on the face of my 4 and I love it. I use PS anti glare on all of my iPhones.

17. err404 macrumors 68020

I use a Bodyguardz film on the back/sides, but I keep the front unprotected. The screen just feels so much better w/o anything on it.

18. sportster macrumors 6502

I used the the zagg on my 3GS. But 1st gen and 4 are bare. I've actually never scratched the screen on one of my iPhones. The back and sides are a different story.

19. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

When I use it naked = None

Otherwise I use the Otterbox case which also protects the screen.

It's max protection or nothing for me.

20. ajarnfalang macrumors regular

I ain't got no shields and bumpers and crap.

I use it the way it came out of the box.

Fingerprints? I give it a good wipe on my pants.

Scratches? No.

I put it in a pouch in my pocket. I take it out of the pouch when I use it.

21. ryanrich macrumors regular

Agreed, I hate the feel of a screen protector. Never had any scratches on my iPhone.

Only thing I currently have on is my Vapor 4 bumper which looks great.

22. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

^^ this. I used one years ago on a BB and lived with it. However in two generations of iPhone the wife and I have never scratched one. If she cant scratch one with her crappy care then......

Waste of money and degrades the appearance if you ask me. Not needed in the iPhone or iPad. Again, I use both heavily and have had zero issues.

23. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I use Ghost armor for a couple of reasons.

it does protect against scratches (both front and back) which helps with the resale value. Secondly I'm concerned about the olephobic coating wearing off. Now I'll not need too.

24. aldo82 macrumors regular

Naked iphone here. Use a leather pouch when carrying around but the bare glass is just too nice to cover in plastic. Why would apple bother with the oleophobic coating if it wasn't designed to be used naked?

25. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Because the oleophobic coating wears off and looks like crap. Its just that a coating and being a coating, it will wear off in time. I've also read about how the back of the phones getting scratched up fairly easily. So why take a chance on an expensive device.

Is it over kill, some may think so, but the moment you get a scratch, or the coating starts clouding over, you'll not think so.