Screen protector for rMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bkribbs, Sep 7, 2013.

1. bkribbs macrumors 65816

Ok so my screen is being replaced because of a mark on it.

Now I want to protect it better.

What screen protectors do you all recommend that are high quality? I don't want one that reduces the retina displays quality much although it seems some will have to go.

I've been reading a lot and have found various info, time to just ask opinions. What do you think?

2. offgray macrumors member

How did the mark get there in the first place?

3. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Setting aside the whole "Mark on screen" deal, I would recommend PowerSupport USA.

I have used their protectors for iPhone and iPad screens and have nothing but good experience with them.

Linky to their site

4. bkribbs thread starter macrumors 65816

I had my screen replaced for IR in August and it came on there. Didn't notice it until a few days later when I was wiping all the dust spots off. Regardless, that doesn't help me choose a screen protector.

You haven't used it with a laptop though? I'll look into it but would love to know how it actually effects the quality of the screen.

5. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Oh don't get me wrong. I don't use it on mine because it is not being used all over the place; however, two of my friends use it. I have to say, it looks nice. Just stay away from matte finishes, it fuzzies resolution.

6. bkribbs thread starter macrumors 65816

Ah gotcha.

Could you try to show me which one you're talking about? I couldn't find it and that link doesn't work.

7. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Yeah, it's not working for me either it seems they are having server issues right now.

8. bkribbs thread starter macrumors 65816

That links to their case though? Thanks!

9. offgray macrumors member

I'm asking because that would affect what kind of screen protector I'd suggest. Because if we're talking full on dent, then I don't think any screen protectors could ever save you from that kind of stuff. If you had just wanted a screen protector because you don't like the idea of people touching your glass screen unprotected, then I'd have a completely different brand in mind etc etc.

That said I suggest this Yes, I've used their screen protector on my MBP. It didn't stay on the screen for very long though. At the time I was working outside a lot and the glossy screen reflects enough sunlight as it is but I might as well have had a mirror with a keyboard when the screen protector was there.

10. bkribbs thread starter macrumors 65816

It seems like I have to choose between that which keeps quality but is like a mirror or the ivisor which greatly decreases quality but I can still see. I really want to find a middle ground.

Also, was that hard to apply?

11. offgray macrumors member

Actual application wasn't that difficult. You just really need to make sure you find a room with as little dust as possible. I think the more difficult part was making sure that there was no sort of dirt or dust on my screen before I put it on.

But I'm telling you, you're gonna hate that screen for a while right after you put the (or any) screen protector on.

12. bkribbs, Sep 9, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2013

bkribbs thread starter macrumors 65816

Maybe I'll try without it, but I was told by Apple how easy it was to scratch if literally anything is on the computer when you close it, and have heard how even like a piece of sand closed in can screw it up.

Not really sure which way to go with this.

13. offgray macrumors member

That's the trade-off to have a nice and thin profile, I guess. :(

14. bkribbs thread starter macrumors 65816

If I'm indoors and use the screen protector that turned it into a mirror would it be ok do you think?

15. offgray macrumors member

It's really your personal preference. I might be okay with it (or conversely, not okay with it) but you might feel differently.

But, I guess, as long as you don't work in a place where florescent lights are everywhere around you (in the sense that there's one right behind you no matter how you try to reposition yourself), you might not have a problem with it?

TL;DR: the only way you'll ever find out if you'll be okay with it is if you try it. It's really a personal preference kind of thing.

16. bkribbs thread starter macrumors 65816

Then I think I will order it and try it out. I'll return it if I hate it.