Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jker

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 13, 2016
Hi all,

I recently had my iPhone X replaced as it had a faulty Face ID. On that phone I had a pretty standard, pretty cheap £5 tempered glass screen protector, however I'm now considering perhaps splurging out on one of the £20+ ones. Anyone have any recommendations on which is good / where is good as putting them on? The Apple store near me didn't have any near me, and I know they do it by machine so it should be perfect.

I actually went to my carrier today and bought one for £25 and got the shop clerk to put it on for me, which he was keen to do. However, he put it on 1. off centred pretty heavily and 2. had large specs of dirt still on the screen so I ended up getting a refund and hence I'm still looking. Prefer if a machine can do it!

Vermifuge

macrumors 68020
Mar 7, 2009
Hi all,

I recently had my iPhone X replaced as it had a faulty Face ID. On that phone I had a pretty standard, pretty cheap £5 tempered glass screen protector, however I'm now considering perhaps splurging out on one of the £20+ ones. Anyone have any recommendations on which is good / where is good as putting them on? The Apple store near me didn't have any near me, and I know they do it by machine so it should be perfect.

I actually went to my carrier today and bought one for £25 and got the shop clerk to put it on for me, which he was keen to do. However, he put it on 1. off centred pretty heavily and 2. had large specs of dirt still on the screen so I ended up getting a refund and hence I'm still looking. Prefer if a machine can do it!

Given I have had nothing but problems with chipping and cracks with light use even with the super fancy Zagg protectors on my Plus size iPhones, I opted this time for a cheap $1 for 3 screen protector set off eBay. The install kit was better than what Zagg / Invisible shield provided. It has a wet wipe and a dry wipe to clean the screen. It also came with two tabs to help position the protector and a large sticky pad to remove any dust specs before applying the glass protector.

I think this sticky pad was the secret to a perfect install. I lightly touched the sticky pad across the entire screen and quickly positioned the protector above the device. The tabs made it easy to line up center and it adhered without a single dust spec trapped. I also feel it was a better fit than the zags protectors that seems to hang over the curved edges of the Plus display.

Last edited:

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
Hi all,

The past few phones I've been having Apple store staff apply the Belkin glass protectors. It's extravagantly expensive compared to the ones I've bought from Amazon, but they do seem to be better quality, as evidenced by no edge chips after 15 months on the current phone. I have to say also that as careful as I am, the Belkin "machine" that they use lines the screen protector up incredibly evenly. I would imagine that a careless or poorly trained Genius could foul that up, but if they do, it's totally fair to ask for a re-do right there at the store.

Reactions: AE14 and Jker

zuckuss00

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2012
I haven't run a screen protector in years...

I don't keep my phones long enough, plus a just treat my $1000+ investments with care.

The screens are pretty scratch resistant. Haven't had much issue in 5 years.

Reactions: x-evil-x

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

I don't keep my phones long enough, plus a just treat my $1000+ investments with care.

I agree entirely. I totally understand the purpose of screen protectors and condone them, but I am also fairly cautious with my devices and have been more than enough satisfied with the durability of the displays over the years.

fred98tj

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2017
Central Luzon, Philippines
Probably can be the oleophobic coating sometimes seems to wear off the screen leaving a lot of fingerprints.
For me that’s the biggest reason for a (glass not plastic) screen protector.

posguy99

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2004
Probably can be the oleophobic coating sometimes seems to wear off the screen leaving a lot of fingerprints.
For me that’s the biggest reason for a (glass not plastic) screen protector.

Coatings typically wear off screen protectors more quickly than the screen itself. The advantage is that you can replace the protector...

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden

I agree entirely. I totally understand the purpose of screen protectors and condone them, but I am also fairly cautious with my devices and have been more than enough satisfied with the durability of the displays over the years.

(This is curiosity, not trying to start a disagreement)

After a year, do you not find that you've got at least light scratching on the display? I'm very careful, but I use them partly because I think they've avoided a couple of problems over the years but mostly because I know when I sell the phone it'll have a perfect display, which hasn't been true when I don't use one. Wondering how your displays look after a year of careful use?

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
(This is curiosity, not trying to start a disagreement)

After a year, do you not find that you've got at least light scratching on the display? I'm very careful, but I use them partly because I think they've avoided a couple of problems over the years but mostly because I know when I sell the phone it'll have a perfect display, which hasn't been true when I don't use one. Wondering how your displays look after a year of careful use?

I don't really look close enough (Or care to) on my display to observe minuscule micro scratches. But based on my usage, I have no scratches that are visible from what I can tell when I use my iPhone on a daily basis. I would say my iPhone display is near perfect without a screen protector.

Last edited:
Reactions: newellj

eric1971

macrumors member
Dec 17, 2008
I don't really look close enough on my display to observe minuscule micro scratches. But based on my usage, I have no scratches that are visible from what I can tell when I use my iPhone on a daily basis. I would say my iPhone display is near perfect without a screen protector.

I agree. I gave up using screen protectors on my 3G and have't used them since. I was still using a 6 when I upgraded to a X. I have never noticed scratches on the screen of any of my iPhones.

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
no screen protector here also. It tried them briefly on my 3g back in 2008 but haven't used them since. I dont have any issues with the glass scratching and hate how they look personally.

caelius

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2015
Innsbruck, Austria
I used my iPhone 7 for about a year now without a screen protector (and a case); honestly, there are a couple of small scratches, but that's because I used to place to phone face-down on whatever surface I found. Not the best idea!

On the other hand, my iPhone 5S which I always used with an original Apple leather case but without a screen protector has an absolutely pristine display without any scratches whatsoever. :)

NickYanakiev

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2016
Hi all,

My personal experience: had my phone replaced twice due to issues with the light sensor (phone screen not reliably turning on and off when on a call). The issue turned out to be that the screen protectors I had picked were providing full screen cover. Thus, it was not a faulty sensor but the screen protectors causing the issue.

My current phone has a small cut-out at the top and does not cover the notch. Everything has been working fine since applying it.

Zigourney

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2017
United Kingdom
I'm on my 5th screen protector - tried different ones out to see which one I liked. The one I settled on now is the Belkin invisiglass from Apple. It was installed by a apple store employee using the Belkin machine.

What I like about it:

• Its very thin and crystal clear.
  • It has soft rounded edges that have been cleanly cut all the way around.
  • It has an oleophobic coating and finger prints/smudges wipe off very easily.
  • Applied perfectly first time around with the Belkin machine - no bubbles and straight alignment.

What I dislike about it:

It is not full coverage - it only covers just past the visible screen area by a fraction of a millimetre or so. I only wished it extended slightly more past the visible screen area, closer to the edge by a couple millimetres more, that would be perfect.

All the other ones I tried were too thick, didn't cover the screen properly, left bubbles behind or the touch sensitivity was hindered. The Belkin one has no such issues. I know the Belkin one is like £30 if my memory serves me right, but honestly it was worth it.

Jker

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 13, 2016
Thanks for all the responses everyone, I'm leaning towards the Belkin one done by Apple or just going protector-less. However, for whatever reason my Apple Store does not have the Belkin ones and won't for a while I'm told, and also I still feel kind of at risk in case I drop the phone with no protector on, as previously I've dropped my old 6S on the floor face down directly but the tempered glass protector took all the damage.

Resqu2

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2011
Zagg is finally shipping a template that sits over the phone and you can’t miss, it’s a perfect fit.

Reactions: JamiLynee

jlczl

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2015
I got myself a cheap 2.5 protector just to see if I could live with a protector since I usually never use one. I paid like $8 for a 2 pack.
93be123e99d24bc539d5954cb4d3f13d.jpg

Resqu2

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2011
I got myself a cheap 2.5 protector just to see if I could live with a protector since I usually never use one. I paid like $8 for a 2 pack.

I can’t live with a scratch on my $1k phone screen so it gets a Zagg and an Otterbox Defender. My Zagg picks up small scratches here and there, makes me wonder if my screen would of scratched as easily?

Ruja

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2016

Hi,

Is that the one which has black frame? Because as far as I know, if not the protector doesn’t cover the complete screen of the phone. On the other hand, there is people how say this kind of glasses aren’t compatible with some cases because of the glass frame is very close of the case border.

What do you think?

jlczl

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2015
Hi,

Is that the one which has black frame? Because as far as I know, if not the protector doesn’t cover the complete screen of the phone. On the other hand, there is people how say this kind of glasses aren’t compatible with some cases because of the glass frame is very close of the case border.

What do you think?

Yes it is. It’s the iCarez TrueGlass in the red box from Amazon. It’s the 2.5 so it doesn’t go 100% to the edge of the screen. It’s the 3.0 that makes it all the way to the edge but frankly it’s practically impossible to tell because of the black frame and the 2.5 is case friendly. Here’s a pic and link:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B074H1MX1Z?psc=1&ref=yo_pop_mb_pd
a470d88c5b7c375783ba47995482772d.jpg

Reactions: Ruja

ac921ol

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2011
I have the icarez with the the tray. Fit is perfect, works great. Only issue I have is with light colored backgrounds the top edge reflects some (around the sensors and because of the thickness and how light reflects) . It’s no issue at all for the price paid.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.