Screen protector or no screen protector?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by fitgirl, Nov 8, 2013.

1. fitgirl macrumors 6502

fitgirl

Does anyone use a screen protector on their MacBook Pro retina? I've been considering one after reading somewhere that when the macbook is closed the keys can scratch or leave marks on the screen because there is no glass covering it, is this true? I'm getting a bit worried now.

2. Ksc272 macrumors newbie

The keys are close, but not that close. Putting on a screen protector might actually cause keys to come in contact with the screen. Not scratching but probably putting unnecessary pressure against it while closed.

I've had my 15" retina MBP for about 1 year now, screen is perfectly fine with no scratches without a screen protector. Just don't close your lid with stuff on the keyboard is all you have to do.

3. fitgirl thread starter macrumors 6502

fitgirl

So the keys don't actually touch the screen when closed?

4. troop231 macrumors 603

You have nothing to worry about. :) On my 2011 MBP with Hi-Res anti-glare screen, I have no problem, but I also use a Moshi clear keyboard cover that also keeps junk and dirt out from getting into the keyboard mechanism and prevents the keys from touching the screen.

5. RichardC300 macrumors 65816

RichardC300

My screen touches my keyboard. Probably happens when I'm carrying it in a bookbag with other books.

----------

But then the oils on your hand would still be on the keyboard cover and that would touch your screen and have the same effect. But then again, you have an anti-glare screen, but still.

6. troop231 macrumors 603

The anti-glare screen is even more susceptible to damage than non anti-glare models due to no screen protection at all. Also, I wash my keyboard cover often and keep my hands clean.

7. fitgirl thread starter macrumors 6502

fitgirl

Have you noticed scratching from the keys touching the screen?

8. RichardC300 macrumors 65816

RichardC300

I have not. That's weird. I generally try to keep my keyboard clean of debris. Are you sure it's from your keys? I'd be hard to believe that plastic keys alone would scratch the glass screen.

9. fitgirl thread starter macrumors 6502

fitgirl

I don't have any scratches but I've been debating after reading that the keys touch the screen when closed and can scratch or make marks on the screen, I bought my MacBook Pro last week and just want to make sure that what I've read isn't true.

----------

By the way the MacBook Pro retina has no glass.

10. edfoo macrumors regular

Don't plan to use a screen protector. Don't know if keys touch the screen at all when the lid is closed. If they do touch, they just... touch. Not rubbing or scratching the screen. And because the screen is not a touch screen like phone and tablet, fewer reasons to use a screen protector.

11. RichardC300 macrumors 65816

RichardC300

12. fitgirl thread starter macrumors 6502

fitgirl

13. RichardC300 macrumors 65816

RichardC300

You're right. Weird. :confused:

14. fitgirl thread starter macrumors 6502

fitgirl

I know it is weird and it makes the screen more fragile that's why I worry lol

15. troop231 macrumors 603

Trust me, don't worry. The screens are less fragile than the Hi-Res anti-glare screens..

16. snaky69 macrumors 603

This is my second anti-glare MBP, I've had it for over a year and carried it in my backpack back when I was still in school.

The MBP I had before that is turning 6 years old soon and was used the same way.

Neither has marks from the keys on the screen.

Don't waste your money on a useless protector.

17. fitgirl thread starter macrumors 6502

fitgirl

Yes but yours has a glass covering you're LCD panel so it's harder to scratch where as these retina ones have no glass cover the LCD which can make a bit easier to scratch.

18. leman macrumors 604

The retina display front is glass. I don't see how an extra sheet of glass should make it more durable.

19. troop231 macrumors 603

No, there is no glass on our anti-glare screens from the factory...

20. snaky69 macrumors 603

No, it doesn't. Did you even read my post? I think I'm in good position to tell you I don't have a glass panel covering my screen as I'm typing on that computer this very moment.

It's a unibody MBP with a High-Res anti-glare screen. So was my previous MBP I mentioned in my previous post. Neither model has a glass panel over the screen.

21. fitgirl thread starter macrumors 6502

fitgirl

Nope the front display is not covered by glass I have called apple support to confirm this.

----------

Ok

22. snaky69 macrumors 603

Again, your reading comprehension is lacking. The poster you quoted wrote that the display ITSELF is glass, and that he/she didn't see how an extra sheet of glass over it would make it more durable.

23. fitgirl thread starter macrumors 6502

fitgirl

The display itself is not glass!!! Maybe you should read above and check the link that a poster posted before u say I lack in reading comprehension it does have glass but it does not have a sheet of glass covering the LCD screen so if u scratch it your actually scratching the LCD itself.

----------

24. snaky69 macrumors 603

The display matrix is sandwiched between two sheets of glass. If you did truly read the article the other poster linked to, you'd find the sentence:

"The MacBook Pro with Retina Display uses a similar LCD construction to the MacBook Air/matte-MBP, without a cover glass. Instead the Retina Display's two glass layers are different sizes, which you can sort of see in the cross section below:..."

That would clearly make the display's surface itself glass. You even said so yourself.

Seeing as on the hardness scale most plastics are much softer than glass, there is no way your keys would be able to scratch the screen regardless. Unless, of course, something hard such as a grain of sand or a metal shaving is stuck on top of them.

Edit: And from Apple's very own website: "The Retina display doesn’t sit behind a layer of glass, it is the glass"

http://www.apple.com/macbook-pro/design-retina/

I was merely attempting to save you money on a protector film which does nothing but hinder image quality, seeing as my own anecdotal experience owning 2 MBP with a similar construction since 2008 and seeing no screen damage from my keyboard's keys tells me such a film is unneeded.

25. fitgirl thread starter macrumors 6502

fitgirl

Maybe there's a misunderstanding what I was meaning to say and referring it was that it didn't have an actual glass cover, and I think reading to much on the forums, I've read ppl saying that how the screen is so fragile and so easy to scratch and seeing that I paid $2600 I get paranoid reading these things.

----------

I've decided not to get the screen protector cause you are right it will hinder the image quality.

Thanks for the input:)