Screen Protector or No Screen Protector?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jw nyc, Sep 16, 2008.

?

Do you use a screen protector?

1. Yes

52 vote(s)
    68.4%
  2. No

24 vote(s)
    31.6%
  1. jw nyc macrumors 6502a

So I'm currently using the matte screen protector they sell in the Apple store. I like it b/c it prevents fingerprints but it definitely dulls the screen considerably and I'm contemplating removing it. Do you guys use your iPhone w/ or w/o a screen protector? If you use one please state which you use.

2. mlemonds macrumors 6502a

mlemonds

3. hayduke macrumors 65816

hayduke

super, totally, and completely naked.

looks good so far.

4. jw nyc thread starter macrumors 6502a

How often do you find yourself wiping the screen?

5. hayduke macrumors 65816

hayduke

As needed. A couple of times a day at most. I'm not a "heavy" user, but I have it with me at all times.

6. rsk137 macrumors member

I use these. They have them for the 3G version in stores at least.

They don't leave fingerprints and hardly (as in every 4-5 days at soonest) have the need to wipe the screen with anything.

7. mlemonds macrumors 6502a

mlemonds

that is the one that i have too.

have one on my original iphone and on my touch

8. Enigmafan420 macrumors 6502a

Enigmafan420

Have to concur on the power support film-it is great.

HOWEVER, it can be extremely challenging to get on! I think they give you 2 per pack because you are almost CERTAINLY going to wreck the first one.

Make sure there is NO DUST (and I mean not even a grain) on your screen or you will pull your hair out trying to get the bubbles out of it. AND-you can't anyway-the more you touch the underside of this film the worse it is. So save headache, make sure your screen is spotless, and TAKE YOUR TIME so you do not have to realign the film. Make sure it lines up the FIRST TIME, or, you guessed it, you may have a dust problem if you have to lift it and reset it.

9. mlemonds macrumors 6502a

mlemonds

thats why i love how the 3G film set comes with a 'sticky paper' to remove all dust before application. Fantastic Idea!

10. rsk137 macrumors member

The Apple Store rep did it for me. Just ask one of them for someone who is a perfectionist when it comes to that. Every Apple Store is bound to have one ;)

11. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

Totally naked here too.

I'm so happy to be free of the screen protectors I used for over a decade on my Palm PDAs and Treos. They were a necessity for those vulnerable plastic screens, but with the iPhone's glass, no such protection is needed. :D

I mostly wipe after phone calls. Anything nearby and clean is pressed into action, and sometimes I'll add a couple of drops of water.

Front and back of my phone are still pristine.

12. iFerd macrumors 6502a

I use the crystal protectors from the Apple store, not the non-glare ones. You can hardly tell it's there, but it takes the hit if the screen gets attacked. Using it is just like using the phone naked. Installing it dust free is easier if you do it in a humid environment - run the shower on hot for a few minutes in the bathroom, close the door to hold the humidity, clean the screen, and apply carefully. If a particle of dust is there despite the precautions, raise the protector with a piece of cellophane tape and use another piece of tape to slip underneath and snare the offender. A little fiddling, but I have no bubbles and no sign of dust under mine.

The fingerprints don't bother me so much. When they get bad, I wipe them off.

I started with a naked screen, which is truly tough, but I eventually developed a tiny, almost imperceptible scratch that made me decide to protect it.

I tried the InvisibleShield on the screen, but I didn't like the texture it has and the friction it created when dragging on the screen. I sent that back for a refund.

13. jw nyc thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yea thats the one I have too but it seems to dull the screen quite a bit. Look at someone's without it and then look at one with it. The one without it is MUCH more crisp and vivid. This is the only reason I'm contemplating removing it!

14. mlemonds macrumors 6502a

mlemonds

that is why i believe they come in a two pack. i took mine off of my original iphone and had the other one back on the iphone within hours. i watch movies on my computer and tv, so the sharpness isnt a huge deal.

15. rsk137 macrumors member

It does dull some of the bright colors but it's not that big of a difference and once you have it on for a day or two it begins to just looks normal. Also, the texture of the anti glare protectors feels great and smooth. I have had so many comments on how go it feels when sliding your finger across the screen.

Plus, you can't even tell it's on the iPhone either. :D

16. amrk47 macrumors regular

17. mlemonds macrumors 6502a

mlemonds

18. jw nyc thread starter macrumors 6502a

I've seen this. I wouldn't get one b/c I am worried about damage but more b/c I hate fingerprints!!!

19. rsk137 macrumors member

So painful to watch! :eek::(

I think people use cases and protectors to make sure their device or in another term, investment, stays in prestine condition.

20. jw nyc thread starter macrumors 6502a

I guess I'll leave it one so I don't have to keep wiping it.

21. Eso macrumors 68000

Eso

I just don't buy that screen protectors prevent fingerprints. Fingerprints come from the oils on your skin. If you are sliding your finger around on the screen it won't leave fingerprints but just a bit of oil. The oil is good as it lubes the screen so your finger slides smoothly over the surface. I clean my phone with windex every once in awhile, which makes it look brand new, but it is not as smooth until I use it for a bit. Every once in awhile I can see a little rainbow effect because of the skin oil but a quick swipe of the finger evens it out and it's gone.

22. jw nyc thread starter macrumors 6502a

What are you talking about!?!? The screen protector mentioned earlier in this thread definitely does a good job of preventing fingerprints! I have it on my phone right now and I rarely ever get fingerprints on it. My issue is that it dulls the screen a LOT and it's kind of making me want to take it off.

23. mb2008 macrumors regular

I use the Crystal sheets and they are much easier to put on if you leave the original film on the phone until you put the Crystal on. Both iphones I carefully lifted the original and cut the ends off so I could use the speaker and the home button and then put a silicone case on that covered the edges.
    The original film works really well (if you can stand looking at the cut ends), I went 3 months on my first iPhone that way and I have been so busy I still haven't put the Crystal on my 3G I bought July 15.

Yeah, I AM that anal. :p

24. Opie macrumors 6502a

Opie

25. EthanNixon macrumors 6502a

EthanNixon

I don't use a screen protector. I didn't use a screen protector on my original iPhone either. I don't use a case for it either. The only scratches I have are on the silver Apple logo. I wish they had an iPhone case like Apple makes on for their classic iPod. I would be all over that.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MA399G/B?fnode=MTY1NDA4Mg&mco=MTMxNDUx&p=3&s=topSellers

That case is so sleek, if they made that for the iPhone I am sure it would sell very well. Make an attachment for a belt too!