Screen protector really necessary for ipod touch 4?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by stark4, Jan 13, 2011.

1. stark4 macrumors 6502

Is the screen protector really necessary for ipod touch 4G? i heard it's made with glass so the screen shouldn't get scratch easily right? I bought the case that cover the back of the ipod touch but i'm thinking to leave the screen alone.

2. pepi macrumors member

I thought to myself ... Why not. They are cheap and they do take some of the glare out.

3. dtblaze macrumors regular

4. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

I really don't think it is necessary. I have a case on mine, but not a screen protector. I also have a first gen model, which I have never had a case or protector on, and while the back is pretty scratched, the glass is as smooth as when I bought it. I also don't particularly care for the feel of screen protectors compared to the glass.

5. zim macrumors 65816

zim

Not necessary. I have an iPod Touch 4, purchased on release, my wife has an iPod Touch 3 and my daughter (age 3) uses my old iPod Touch 3. None of our iPods have protective screens and not one has a single scratch on the screen. My back is a little scuffed from being put in and out of my pocket (none of us have protective backs) but I feel that the scuffs add character. The only "protection" we use are fabric sleeves purchased off Etsy... I had someone make me a custom wallet with an iPod Touch sleeve.

All that said.. if you are the type to drop things a lot or work in a sandpaper factory then you might want one.

6. Pojo458 macrumors member

Pojo458

Since the ipod touch 4g has a retina display, I highly recommend a screen protector with a case to protect the back.

7. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I wouldn't get one. I have a dead iPod Touch that was given to me and I got my key and rubbed it on the screen a couple times ... no scratches. Historically, non of my iOS devices scratched, and that was the only time I TRIED scratching it, and nothing happened.

Sure they are cheap but they ruin the screen quality (its not as enjoyable). If you get the cheap ones on Amazon, you'll see a spectrum of colors when you shine light across it so if you do get one, consider the $15 dollar ones ... you get what you pay for.

8. stark4 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for all the inputs guys.. I'll just stay with the case that cover the back without the screen protector. Thanks.

9. chris7777 macrumors 6502

ABSOLUTELY

I dropped mine the other day, and it now has a GASH across the screen.

I was doing a search because I am sick over it. I thought I heard that all these screens were super scratch resistant, and I drop it 2 feet on the bathroom floor and now its scared for life with a retina display.

10. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

if you don't mind your screen getting scratched ... then you don't need one.:cool:

11. LeighAnna Jones macrumors 6502

Cases absorb shock. You should try one. If you get a case it is also more likeley to land on it's back. And it won't slip out of your hand so much.

OP; I have a small scuff from when I first got my touch. Someone set it upside-down on a desk that was covered with salt grains and some sand. One scratch.

Keep away from grainy stuff and there is no need.

12. Brucewl macrumors 6502

Brucewl

Yes, I think it's necessary for me, I can't allow my screen got any scratch.

13. Disposition macrumors member

Thought I'd share my .02, when I got my touch I got screen protectors and a case. Everytime I put it in or took it out of my pocket the case would pull on the screen protector and lift it, causing dust to get underneath it. After getting sick of constantly readjusting it and pushing air bubbles out I just said screw it, took it off and have never been happier.

I thought it would protect it but I've had it in my pocket with keys, change, my lighter etc and not a single scratch. Now the back is a different story, I'm sure that just by me mentioning it I'll turn it over and there will be a new scratch on it.:mad:

No more stainless Apple! I know it looks good but for the same reason I don't want it on my appliances, I don't want it period.

14. KSR macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (iPhone; Opera Mini/5.0.019802/22.452; U; en) Presto/2.5.25 Version/10.54)

Well when I buy mine in a few weeks, you'd better believe my 4G will have a case and a screen protector. But that's just me. :)

15. frifra macrumors 6502a

frifra

You must have a plastic key or a really round one :).

Screen protectors from powersupport are some of the best. You will probably not even see a difference.

16. pika2000 macrumors 68030

Yes, because Apple still doesn't put oleophobic coating on it.

17. David085 macrumors 6502a

David085

I don't have a screen protector on mine I don't use it a lot only sometimes when I feel like listening to music on the go.