Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macdude2

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 29, 2006
For those of you that have tried different skins/films on your iPhone 4 screen, which do you think most preserves the clarity of the retina display? I'm looking for whatever the clearest skin/film is that I can use with a bumper.

troop231

macrumors 603
Jan 20, 2010
For those of you that have tried different skins/films on your iPhone 4 screen, which do you think most preserves the clarity of the retina display? I'm looking for whatever the clearest skin/film is that I can use with a bumper.

Gotta recommend the SGP Ultra Oleophobic, can't even tell it's on there, plus it has an anti-oil coating to boot!

undercompensate

macrumors member
Dec 6, 2009
I second the SGP Oleophobic. Girlfriend couldn't tell anything was on the screen.

Power Support crystal films have a good past track record (like for the iphone 3g and 3gs), but they're pricey.

You're almost certain to have a lot of fingerprint marks using "clear" screens so be ready to polish it nonstop if you're OCD.

Ferrd

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2008
I just applied the Power Support Crystal onto the phone and you can't even tell there is anything on the screen. Crystal clear!

macdude2

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 29, 2006
Gotta recommend the SGP Ultra Oleophobic, can't even tell it's on there, plus it has an anti-oil coating to boot!

I second the SGP Oleophobic. Girlfriend couldn't tell anything was on the screen.

Power Support crystal films have a good past track record (like for the iphone 3g and 3gs), but they're pricey.

You're almost certain to have a lot of fingerprint marks using "clear" screens so be ready to polish it nonstop if you're OCD.
Do the skins/films like the SGP Oleophobic and the SP Anti-Glare HD have a texture to them? Does the PS Crystal attract fingerprints?

Bill Gates

macrumors 68030
Jun 21, 2006
Do the skins/films like the SGP Oleophobic and the SP Anti-Glare HD have a texture to them? Does the PS Crystal attract fingerprints?
The anti-glare has a matte texture. The ultra oleophobic is like glass. The PS crystal is known to be a fingerprint magnet but I haven't used it myself.

undercompensate

macrumors member
Dec 6, 2009
Yes to both questions. While the Oleophobic has a more slick finish, the PS Anti-glare HD has a smooth finish. Think about how glossy and matte pictures feel. It's not the best metaphor, but it'll do.

There is an immediate and noticeable difference of clarity between clear and anti-glare films. If the display quality is your primary concern, then the Oleophobic is a great choice.

macdude2

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 29, 2006
Yes to both questions. While the Oleophobic has a more slick finish, the PS Anti-glare HD has a smooth finish. Think about how glossy and matte pictures feel. It's not the best metaphor, but it'll do.

There is an immediate and noticeable difference of clarity between clear and anti-glare films. If the display quality is your primary concern, then the Oleophobic is a great choice.
Screen quality is by far my #1 concern. So should I go with the Oleophobic or a PS film? I thought the general consensus around here was that PS films were the best. I'm not too concerned about the cost as long as it's worth it.

macdude2

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 29, 2006
Add another vote for the SGP Ultra Oleophobic. The best I've used so far.
My only concern with ordering from SGP is that I've seen some not-so-good comments about their customer service. They have an eBay store, however, so I guess I could always buy it there so that I have the option of opening a PayPal dispute should it be defective, etc. I've also seen some comments about them being really difficult to install, is that true?

belleblackout

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2010
Where can I buy this product? I checked their website but don't see anything with oleophobic in the name....

Probably a silly question but does this skin (or whatever you call it) allow the phone to breathe? I killed an ipod once with a silicone skin and don't want to do that to my new pet. :)

psywzrd

macrumors 68030
Feb 6, 2008
My only concern with ordering from SGP is that I've seen some not-so-good comments about their customer service. They have an eBay store, however, so I guess I could always buy it there so that I have the option of opening a PayPal dispute should it be defective, etc. I've also seen some comments about them being really difficult to install, is that true?

Don't even buy from their ebay store. Buy from someone like this so you don't have to deal with SGP at all (free shipping too):

http://cgi.ebay.com/SGP-STEINHEIL-S...Accessories&hash=item563e0b96a4#ht_2208wt_913

macdude2

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 29, 2006

psywzrd

macrumors 68030
Feb 6, 2008
Thanks. I must have missed that when I was searching on eBay. So you guys think these are better than those offered by Power Support? I just want to make the best decision.

Tough for me to say which is better. I've always used PS Anti-Glare in the past and I loved the lack of fingerprints; however, the clarity definitely suffers. The Ultra Oleophobic is unbelievably clear but you will be wiping fingerprints off of it. You have to decide what you want. If it's clarity you want go with SGP Ultra Oleo or PS Crystal. If you don't mind sacrificing some clarity and don't want to deal with fingerprints, get PS Anti-Glare. I know it's a tough decision because I'm still fighting with it myself.

macdude2

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 29, 2006
Tough for me to say which is better. I've always used PS Anti-Glare in the past and I loved the lack of fingerprints; however, the clarity definitely suffers. The Ultra Oleophobic is unbelievably clear but you will be wiping fingerprints off of it. You have to decide what you want. If it's clarity you want go with SGP Ultra Oleo or PS Crystal. If you don't mind sacrificing some clarity and don't want to deal with fingerprints, get PS Anti-Glare. I know it's a tough decision because I'm still fighting with it myself.
That's why I've been considering getting the Power Support three piece film set, so that I can decide between the two. Is the SGP Oleophobic and the PS Crystal on par with each other, or is one slightly better than the other?

Hennesie2000

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2007
Maryland
I always had the PS anti glare on my 3Gs but I decided to give the SGP ex crystal film a try since the PS wasn't out yet. I have since trashed the SGP set and have installed the PS set and used the anti glare front. I like the anti glare because I always hate the smudges and finger prints. The loss of screen clarity is something I am willing to sacrifice. The loss is however much less with the new films as compared to the older films for the 3G and 3GS. The matte texture is much much finer that it was before. I will be leaving this one for quite a while if not permanently.

psywzrd

macrumors 68030
Feb 6, 2008
That's why I've been considering getting the Power Support three piece film set, so that I can decide between the two. Is the SGP Oleophobic and the PS Crystal on par with each other, or is one slightly better than the other?

I would say that the Ultra Oleo and the PS Crystal are pretty close but the PS is probably a little more clear. If you're on the fence you might want to go with the PS set so that you get one of each plus the back. The only thing that sucks is that if you put on the Crystal and don't like it because of the fingerprints, then put on the Anti-Glare and hate it because of the lack of clarity, you can't go back to the Crystal. Or maybe you can if you wash it off and do a wet install but I've never tried that. Maybe that's the way to go! I may just do that myself.

frikfrak

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2007
+1, FWIW, for the SGP Oleophobic. You can't tell it's there. But I do hate having to constantly wipe.

icecrystal23

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2010
I would say that the Ultra Oleo and the PS Crystal are pretty close but the PS is probably a little more clear. If you're on the fence you might want to go with the PS set so that you get one of each plus the back. The only thing that sucks is that if you put on the Crystal and don't like it because of the fingerprints, then put on the Anti-Glare and hate it because of the lack of clarity, you can't go back to the Crystal. Or maybe you can if you wash it off and do a wet install but I've never tried that. Maybe that's the way to go! I may just do that myself.

Have you seen an SGP oleophobic? I don't think anything can be "more clear" than it. I will find out, soon. I have the SGP and ordered a PS for my husband.

I found that if you take the skin off and put it on something like the Press-n-Seal plastic wrap, it is pretty easy to reinstall with little-to-no dust (did this on my iPad when I wasn't sure I liked the blurriness of my anti-fingerprint film).

ngrimes-2010

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2010
Don't even bother with the PS anti-glare. Check out my rant

I originally had the SGP oleo on my ip4 and I really liked it. I used to run my 3g with the PS anti-glare so I figured it couldn't hurt to try the 3 piece kit. While the AG blows the crystal from PS is awesome. I have only had it on for about an hour but it is certainly as good as the SGP and it was easier to put on.

I say you can't go wrong with either. But if you aren't worried about putting a protector on the back skip the 3 piece all together and get just the 2 piece crystal from PS. Or the SGP :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.