Screen protector, yay or nay

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by zorahk, Jun 19, 2009.

1. zorahk macrumors 6502

I have a screen protector for my iphone that came with my incipio feather case I bought. Before I open this phone, I need an opinion on whether it is worth applying these.

2. gillboyswims96 macrumors regular

yay.

theres no harm being done by putting it on :)

3. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

I used them on my original iPhone, then with the 3G I haven't, I find them very annoying and not required, now for the 3GS oleophobic screen...even less.
    Your iPhone's screen will only get scratched with a harder material, diamond, other type of glass, and sand, if you go to the beach frequently it might be a good idea to put it on, otherwise it is my personal opinion not to.

4. zorahk thread starter macrumors 6502

5. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

The feel over the screen when scrolling is not the same, the surface feels different I prefer to feel the glass screen.
    The images might look a little different, even there are some that you don't even notice they are there visually.

When installing it you have to be extra carefull to avoid contaminants between the screen and the film, I am not very patient when installing it.

After some time you might need to replace it, it will show some wear, even some claim that they are very durable I don't believe it.

Also I have exchagned my iPhone 3G more than 5 times due to quality defects and I simply decided not to continue using them, so far my screen is perfect.

6. maddibabe23 macrumors newbie

don't bother

no no no no!!!!! i have an iPhone 3G (im 14, so take my advice, im always on my phone) and i had a screen protecter, and it bugged the crap out of me. No matter how carefully and fast u put it on, ull have these annoying little bubbles all the time (ones u spend hours trying to get rid of, but they never go away) plus the screen wont respond sometimes. i wouldnt if i were u. but hey im 14, what do i know? :apple:

7. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

Nope.

I had no screen protector on my 3G, and the screen was perfect the entire time. I think they're more trouble than they're worth, and they change the feel for the worse, IMO. This new oleophobic coating makes the screen feel even nicer, so I feel even more strongly against using a protector.

But I don't use a case either, so YMMV. ;)

8. EatMyApple macrumors 6502

Agreed!

9. d_saum macrumors 6502

d_saum

Wow.. I'm honestly shocked most of you are saying "no" to a screen protector. I got a scratch on my 2G iPhone and was lucky enough to have :apple: give me a free replacement when I asked the best way to fix it. Since then, I've ALWAYS used a screen protector and you don't even know it's on there. My take is... better safe than sorry!

My scratch story (if you're interested) http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=370084 It's also a great customer service story!

10. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I use one.

For years, on my old Windows Mobile phone (touch screen/stylus) I used one, and just got used to it. I also got pretty adept at keeping the bubbles away, so having one on my iPhone hasn't been a problem.

I keep the phone in my pocket, so between the screen protector and the rubber case covering the back I don't worry about change, my pocketknife, etc. being up against it.

11. Randman macrumors 65816

Randman

I had anti-glare on my first iPhone then a Zagg shield on my 3G but the new screen feels different. So far, my feeling is case, yes; screen protector no.

12. Kadman macrumors 65816

Kadman

I used to hate screen protectors back when it always meant those rubbery feeling, visually distorted kind. When I bought the first gen iPhone, the sales person showed me a Powersupport Crystal Film on his and I was sold. I've used one for all three of my iPhones now, including the 3GS. It really only takes a couple of minutes to apply flawlessly. The keys to success are 1) use the white tack sheet they give you in the pack to remove any tiny specs of dust and then 2) to only peel away part of the Crystal film from it's base sheet, line it up at the top with the edges & speaker slot, and then push/roll the film down the face of the display. No bubbles, perfect edges, flawless installation.

I would never go without a Crystal film on my phone. You can't even tell it's there and it's cheap insurance. I'd rather buy another $7.50 protector than stare at an annoying scratch every time I picked up my phone.

13. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

I used them religiously on my Palm Pilots and Treos! No question, it was absolutely necessary. But those are plastic screens that scratch when you look at them hard, nothing at all like the iPhone's screen.

14. thistle108 macrumors newbie

This is also really bugging me. I love the new coating on the screen but I also am worried it might get scratched. I don't know if I should leave it as is or put on a screen protector. I wish this didn't bother me as much as it is :(

15. vinay427 macrumors 6502a

vinay427

16. iTouchmethere macrumors newbie

17. Lipstick macrumors member

Yes, with most you can't even tell that its even there.

18. BigOrangeSU macrumors regular

the antiglare one they sell at apple is amazing. It helps when looking at your phone in direct sun and creates a nice texture for your fingers with its matte finish.

19. threezero macrumors 6502

personal opinion really. I have use all kinds of screen protector. Some are freebies from cases, and some are premium ones.

Those of you that complain about texture of the screen with a screen protector must only have experience with the freebies that comes with cases or cheap $1 made in china ones for sale at night markets.

Try powersupport or my personnal favorite SGP color enhancement. It feel slicker than glass and with the SGP the color literally jumps out at you.

imo:

1. SGP (color enhance or anti glare)
    2. Powersupport (clear or anti glare)
    3. Switcheasy (clear)
    4. Everything else

20. dugbee macrumors regular

I use the one that came with my Switcheasy Colors. I'm a new 3GS owner and haven't owned an iPhone before. I installed it as soon as I got the phone, so I guess I don't know what I'm missing by not using one, but to me it feels smooth and very responsive.

I wrestled over whether to put one on or not. I'd actually ordered a Best Skins Ever, as I had one on an old MP3 player and it was great, but decided not to use it on the iPhone. I was worried about the "orange peel" look as well as the tackiness on the screen.

I'd at least recommend going with a static-cling type protector, and see how it goes. You can always remove it. I'm very particular in caring for my electronics, but most of them are sitting comfortably in my house.

The iPhone is the only one who is a victim of my environment, be that coins in my pocket, a misguided sneeze, other people when I'm out and about, and who knows what else.

21. labman macrumors 604

labman

I've wrestled with this before

on my 3G I didn't mind but after switching to the 3G S I am fighting it real hard. I wasted to Power support Crystal screens. the finger prints killed it for me and there was bubbling. but fingerprints were ridicules. basicly gone back to naked for now.

threezero you have me looking at the SGP Steinheil Anti-Fingerprint for iPhone 3G I have to admit it looks noce plus anti finger print as well.

22. JoelMarcey macrumors 6502

JoelMarcey

Is the SwitchEasy that you mention at (3) the ones that come with all their cases? I have a SwitchEasy Colors case that I just received a couple days ago and have been debating whether to put the screen protector that comes with it on my 3G S. Official word that I got from SwitchEasy was that they need to do testing with their protectors with the 3G S.

23. dugbee macrumors regular

I put the Switcheasy cover on my 3GS. I had to try a couple of times to get it on w/o bubbles, but it peeled off without issue. So far so good, it hasn't budged.

24. bhsu21 macrumors 6502

Just put one on, try it out if you like it. If you don't, they're so easy to take off.

I personally always have one on mine.