Screen protectors - aaaarrggghhhh

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by stevep, Sep 19, 2011.

1. stevep macrumors 6502a

stevep

Just stupidly bought a pack of 6 screen protectors from iDelta UK Ltd via Amazon (UK) - sold as "BHB Screen Guarder - the greatest screen guarder for lcd screen" (sic). Each plastic film is individually wrapped with its' own little piece of yellow cloth, thereby guaranteeing that it is covered in fibres before you even open it. The very act of peeling off the backing sheet generates enough static to ensure these fibres are spread all over the sticky side of the film. Brilliant.
    I persevered with all six, but the results were the same each time. All six are now in the bin, and the appropriate feedback left with Amazon and with the seller.
    Does anyone know of a decent screen protector (iPad 2) that doesn't come pre-packaged with it's own supply of dust and fibres?

2. gregrose macrumors 6502

i always go powersupport anti-glare...got mine on my ipad 2 & love it, also have it on my iphone 4

3. RossMc macrumors 65816

RossMc

I used a Switcheasy one which came with my Switcheasy Canvas case and it has been great for me so far. I didn't really want to buy one of the more expensive ones such as the power support or SGP as I ALWAYS seem to mess screen protectors up when I install them but I was surprised when this one went on fine and I managed to get it with no or dust/dirt underneath it.

I might buy a better one sometime if this starts to peel or anything.

4. xraytech macrumors 68020

You get what you paid for. It's product and application technique that makes a big difference.

Power Support Screen Protectors and Wet Application Technique FTW!!!

5. EvenStranger macrumors member

Scotch tape

I use a piece of scotch tape to peel the film from a corner, then another piece of tape looped sticky side out to grab pieces of dust that get caught between the film and screen. Seems to work pretty well.

6. ratboy90 macrumors 6502

ratboy90

I don't have one on mine but from what I've read the Moshi iVisor is the best one available.

7. cardinalryan macrumors 6502

cardinalryan

I just got that one, I like it a lot. I am also a big fan of the power support anti glare. This is the first time I've gone with something other than a ps and I have to say the Moshi is excellent.

8. stevep thread starter macrumors 6502a

stevep

I'll have a look at some of the suggestions. In the meantime, Amazon, to their credit, have refunded my card (within 5 hours of receiving my feedback) - and it's not their fault as it actually came from a reseller. (Not even the resellers fault really either I suppose, as all the dust was in the packet).

9. slapppy macrumors 65816

Steam

Look for the thread. I've followed these steps and never failed. Perfect every time. Even the big iPad screen was easy to apply, no bubble, no dust just perfect. :)

10. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

11. ctbear macrumors 6502a

I'm using some from eBay, costed me like $0.5 each.
    They are almost completely invisible, easy to install, don't scratch easily, and smooth to touch.
    I don't understand all these "you get what you pay for" mindset come from. I'm quite confident that a piece of plastic film doesn't cost $30 to make. Yes the bigger brands have better quality, but are you sure it's worth 95% more?

12. stevep thread starter macrumors 6502a

stevep

Bought a Belkin protector today at the incredible price of 12.99 ukp, and only one in the packet. Fortunately it went on perfectly, not even the slightest speck of dust and certainly no bubbles. Just as well considering the absolute rip off price - I bet the mark up is a four figure percentage! At least it proves that it wasn't me going wrong.

13. NickRno77 macrumors regular

I've been messing about and waisting my time with cheep and expensive old school type screen protectors since iPad 1, I never seem to stop dust bubbles! Received a Moshi iVisor AG today, brilliant, no bubbles, little glare! Took about 5 minutes to apply. Worth £20 time is money !

I'll never go back to traditional screen protectors. :)

14. candyshell macrumors newbie

i may sound really thick here, but ive never herd of a moshi ivisor ag where could i get on and have you got pics ? im having the same trouble btw

15. NickRno77 macrumors regular

16. candyshell macrumors newbie

17. candyshell macrumors newbie

18. NickRno77 macrumors regular

Be careful, you could get stung for VAT and Duty, I ordered 2 Radtech ProCable Shortz 30-pin Extender's $42, I ended up giving the post office £13 handling vat and duty charges. I think Customs don't bother under £18?

19. cardinalryan macrumors 6502

cardinalryan

After two days with the moshi iVisor, I'm not as impressed as I was on day one. It is producing a rainbow effect on the screen and it's really hard to keep clean. In my experience with the power support AG HD, this is not the case. I will probably go back to the PS.

20. NickRno77 macrumors regular

I haven't experienced that problem, hopefully I won't? Ive only had the iVisor for a couple of days so hopefully it doesn't develop the rainbow effect which I think probably would be caused by the film lifting from the iPad screen surface.

What do you mean it's difficult to clean?

21. candyshell macrumors newbie

oh well its done now thanks anyway:)
    why dont they just tell you what you are buying, and how much its really going to cost you:confused:
    im off to look for a 3D tv and a pro camera for beginers now:eek:wish me luck :rolleyes:

----------

22. aawil macrumors 6502a

aawil

Are there any retailers that carry the power support or do I need to order that online? It doesn't show up on apple's store website either.

23. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

There's this family or apps on your mobile and PC called web browsers. Safari, Firefox, IE, etc., they let you find stuff like this.

http://www.powersupportusa.com/store-locator/

24. docprego macrumors 65816

I had the same experience and it left me wondering why people are so enamored with this screen protector. The rainbow effect is caused by the lack of adhesive over the screen portion of the screen protector. I found it very distracting and removed it from my iPad. I also found the anti-glare properties to significantly reduce the sharpness of the display.

I ended up picking up a pack of 3M screen protectors at Sam's Club and I am very happy with them. They are super clear but a bit difficult to apply because they bubble quite easily. However they come with a large cardboard squeegee and the bubbles are easily removed.