screen protectors are a must?

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by Trance, Jun 7, 2012.

1. Trance macrumors 6502

i just picked up a iPad I'm not sure how well the screen is resistant to scratches should i invest in a screen protector? which brand?

most iPad users have one?

2. liquorice macrumors regular

liquorice

All I have is a Belkin case and only have it open when using it.

3. Rodster macrumors 68040

I only use a screen protector because of resell value when I decide to sell it. Also I work on cars for a living so sometimes my finger tips may not be as smooth as it should be so I don't want to take any chances. :)

4. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

I don't. I use a SmartCover. Screen is just too nice to cover it with plastic... ;)

5. Pared macrumors 65816

I used to put screen covers on everything. Remnant from the days of PDA's and Pocket PC's.

Recently I started going without them. Over a year now on the iPhone 4/4S and my original iPad/iPad3.

No scratches whatsover.

I'm a believer.

6. xAgustinx macrumors regular

xAgustinx

The screen is very resistant, but if you want to put something, I recommend to you invisible shield of zagg, there is one HD that is a Glass-Like Surface

7. bembol macrumors 65816

bembol

Used too but now unless I can put it in my pocket I don't bother with it.

Basically anything over than 7".

I don't know what scratched it but I was happy I had one when I had 4S.

8. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

screen protectors are an excellent way of completely killing the quality feel of almost any device ;)

No, I don't - not on either of the iPads in our household, nor iphones (or other smartphones we've owned). Never had a problem...

9. Rodster macrumors 68040

I just received my high transperency screen protectors from Monoprice. They are awesome. It feels like there's nothing on the glass and they installed easily. :)

10. rever3nce macrumors 6502a

rever3nce

X2

The glass screen is and feels amazing. No protectors for me here.

11. Rodster macrumors 68040

That's how my screen protector feels like I'm on the glass. :)

12. ElDogman macrumors 6502

ElDogman

my iphone 4 went for months with out scratches until recently there's a tiny one.. probably caused by keys (although I generally try to keep my keys and iphone in separate pockets, sometimes you forget). Kinda wish I got a screen protector

iPad, nothing on it.. my folio is what protects the screen. can't bring myself to cover such a nice screen.

13. number84 macrumors 6502

no need. for a phone that you shove in and out of your pockets, i can see the need for one. But not needed for an iPad.

14. 3dflyboy1 macrumors 6502

I don't use a screen protector. Just waste of money, especially for a piece of plastic that's only worth a dime, if that. Unless you buy one for a buck or so, forget it.

15. glen e macrumors 68030

Glad to see everyone feels this way....people are far too anal about iPad films, they just are not necessary on glass....

16. soundtracker macrumors member

Agreed 100%. Seems like such a shame to sacrifice the awesome feel of the iPad screen for the slight chance that it might scratch - never had this happen.

17. -TYLER macrumors regular

I have a anti glare on mine because I use it outdoors a lot, and I actually like the feeling of it better than the glass. (iPad 2)

18. takeshi74, Jun 9, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2012

takeshi74 macrumors 601

Nothing posted in this thread is new and is rehashed in all the countless prior threads on screen protectors.

Nope, personal preference.

Read up (there are tons of existing threads) and see what sounds like it would suit you best. Just as the decision to use one or not is personal preference, which one to use is personal preference as well. What are your needs/wants? Do you want antiglare? Antifingerprint? Privacy? Oleophobic? Crystal? How much loss in image quality are you willing to sacrifice for antifingerprint or matte? Budget?

Again, not all screen protectors are identical. Depends on the screen protector. Also a subjective matter.

Some of the people posting in this thread != everyone. *Again, subjective matter. *Do what works for you.

Never happened to me != never can happen. Search. People do scratch their screens. Take whatever precautions you're willing to take (or not) but don't assume that your preference is universal and don't assume that your experience alone defines a trend.

19. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

I don't get you people suggesting that screen protectors ruin the feel. Have you had bad experiences, or are you just mindlessly deciding that your choice of action is superior to others?

The only screen protector I've had that didn't feel too good was an anti glare one that also dampened the screen quality too. Apart from that, I spend about £1.50 for an iPad screen protector and about the same for a pack of phone screen ones. They do not damage my experience in any way, and what they do do is give me peace of mind that if something does drop onto the screen or it's accidentally scraped, I don't have to live with a scratch. It preserves the device for both personal preference and makes it almost as desirable as a new item if it comes to resale.

20. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

I ended up ripping my expensive screen protector off. It only made my screen appear grainy and pixelated.

Since you will likely be carrying the ipad around with a case cover, its screen will unlikely be subject to much abuse (if any). :)

21. soundtracker macrumors member

Yes, I see what you're saying. Maybe I just haven't personally found one that I enjoy the feel of as much as the screen. For the iPhone, I get it and see why people do it. For the iPad, I use a smart cover so I just haven't imagined a scenario in my own personal usage that would cause a screen scratch. But yeah, I think we are all different and to each his own :)

22. iEvolution macrumors 65816

I don't feel its necessary because:
    - screen protectors ruin the smoothness of the screen (unless there are some that are smooth that I don't know about) as well as some can blunt responsiveness.
    - iPad is a different device, its not going to be in your pocket with keys or change its going to be in a case or carried out in the open where nothing is rubbing up against it.
    - gorilla glass is pretty resistant to scratching in the first place

I had a screen protector on my Xoom; I hated it, it ruined the smoothness of the screen and made navigation a bit more difficult. So after two weeks I just took it off.

23. -TYLER macrumors regular

I use a anti glare from media devil and I actually like the feeling better, it is really smooth.

24. Rodster macrumors 68040

I linked and I forgot which thread about a screen protector I bought from Monoprice and they feel like you're on the glass with no tracking degradation. They are really smooth and only cost $1.67 a piece.

25. soundtracker macrumors member

A link for this would be great! If its that cheap Im willing to give it a shot :)