Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bobsamm

Suspended
Oct 6, 2019
Just got my S5 44mm it came with a Catalyst waterproof Case (don't try and talk me out of it as i love it lol)
Also has a cheap plastic screen protector.
So my questions are as i am not really liking the SP.
Do i need one at all with this case as it's raised above the screen? And what glass one would work with it would have to sit inside the case not curved i reckon?
Been googling around and the catalyst plastic one has bad reviews.

My S4 last year got scratched up but i had no case or SP. Still sold it but price tanked lol.

iFoure

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2010
IMG_1949.JPG

Oh boy, rant time :oops:

Pictured above is my old AW 2 (42mm) with PanzerGlass Original tempered screen protector (id year 2013). Next to it is my brand new AW 4 (40mm) with PanzerGlass Performance Solutions tempered screen protector (id year 2016).

All I have to say is: What the hell Panzer???? :mad: I read reviews of the new glass and people said that this new version of Panzer's glass protector is hard to install without any bubbles and the reviewers said to go with the old product. Well, the problem is that the old Panzer glass that I have on my AW 2 without any bubbles (that white spot is a reflection) is really hard to come by now days and that's why I bought the new one. I installed it dust free but as you can see from the square, something has changed with this new PanzerGlass 'cos it won't set into place like it should. One reviewer speculated that Panzer has cut costs, and as the new glass is cheaper, I must agree.

I just searched the Internet for the old, better glass and luckily found a place that has whopping 3 pcs in stock. Ordered only one 'cos damn they are expensive (30€) but so far they have worked with my AW 2 just fine (first piece didn't crack but went flying one time and then I replaced with the new glass that now has cracked along the corner and side as shown in the picture.) So that's 2 original Panzer glass protectors installed without any bubbles on the AW 2 screen.

Why Panzer, why? :(

Thanks for reading, rant over :)

kingston73

macrumors 65816
Dec 23, 2015
I've tried several different kinds now on my 4. From worst to great:

Worst: Any cheap glass from Amazon. From what I can tell they are all crap. I've tried 3 different brands and they all had a giant black border that actually cubed party off the display. Just don't bother.

Decent: Armorsuit. It went on easily enough but it feels very rubbery and had pretty bad orange peel. Also the furthers started lifting after a week. It sure cover the entire watch faces though.

Better: Iqshield. It covered less area than Armorsuit but feels better and not as much orange peel. The corners lifted after a week or so.

Both of those are wet installs.

Even better:. LK clear
This went on very easy and hasn't lifted yet. Feels much better than the other two and you really have to stare hard to tell it's installed. Best for the price I've found.

Best: Whitestone Glass. This has the most complicated installation and also much more expensive. It at least comes with 2. By far the best looking and feeling. Mine cracked after a month or so. I'm currently going to use the LK ones because they're almost as good for a fraction of the cost.

Hope this helps somebody decide.

Reactions: YaShiMo

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Oct 17, 2010

Worst: Any cheap glass from Amazon. From what I can tell they are all crap. I've tried 3 different brands and they all had a giant black border that actually cubed party off the display. Just don't bother.

Decent: Armorsuit. It went on easily enough but it feels very rubbery and had pretty bad orange peel. Also the furthers started lifting after a week. It sure cover the entire watch faces though.

Better: Iqshield. It covered less area than Armorsuit but feels better and not as much orange peel. The corners lifted after a week or so.

This went on very easy and hasn't lifted yet. Feels much better than the other two and you really have to stare hard to tell it's installed. Best for the price I've found.

Best: Whitestone Glass. This has the most complicated installation and also much more expensive. It at least comes with 2. By far the best looking and feeling. Mine cracked after a month or so. I'm currently going to use the LK ones because they're almost as good for a fraction of the cost.

Is the LK really better than ArmorSuit?

kingston73

macrumors 65816
Dec 23, 2015
Imo yes, much better. The armor felt like rubber and the corners lifted and there was definitely orange peel. The LK doesn't have any of that.

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Oct 17, 2010
Imo yes, much better. The armor felt like rubber and the corners lifted and there was definitely orange peel. The LK doesn't have any of that.
And the LK is not a wet application like the ArmorSuit? How do the corners bend downwards on the curved edges of it’s a dry application? I thought only wet applications can get down to curved edges

kingston73

macrumors 65816
Dec 23, 2015
It was very easy to install and the corners adhere very well. It’s not as full coverage as the armor but it’s close enough and like I said, I really can’t tell it’s there.

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Oct 17, 2010
It was very easy to install and the corners adhere very well. It’s not as full coverage as the armor but it’s close enough and like I said, I really can’t tell it’s there.
Sounds good, i ordered it from amazon just now hopefully it arrives quickly. I had the ArmorSuit on all my apple watches since day one (I Currently have the Hermes edition 44mm Stainless Steel Series 4) and it served me well but i always hated the way the armosuit felt rubbery to the touch, I never had a problem with the corners lifting UNLESS i bumped the watchface into something which ended up nudging the protector off the screen surface causing a buble and evenutally dust being trapped rendering the protector compromoised.

What does this LK feel like to the touch? does it not feel rubbery? it says its TPU and TPU is usually a rubbery feel i recall having a case for my iPhone 4 back in the day that was made of TPU

kingston73

macrumors 65816
Dec 23, 2015
It’s not glass but definitely smoother than the armor. There’s a couple different types and I’ve only used the ones I linked.

Reactions: Benz63amg

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Oct 17, 2010
It’s not glass but definitely smoother than the armor. There’s a couple different types and I’ve only used the ones I linked.
Mind posting a few photos? Any installation tips you can provide in regards to the application process and what mistakes to avoid when applying the protector to the watch face?

kingston73

macrumors 65816
Dec 23, 2015
Installing was pretty easy, hardest part was getting it centered but after that the directions were very easy to follow. Just make sure you e gotten all the dust off it.
1C1CFC8C-4E15-45D4-92D4-85E8C072F84F.jpeg
A7EADB45-B316-475E-AB74-05F16D97CCE1.jpeg
4AC74E63-E03D-4F3C-82FE-83FF25AB0784.jpeg

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Oct 17, 2010
Installing was pretty easy, hardest part was getting it centered but after that the directions were very easy to follow. Just make sure you e gotten all the dust off it.
View attachment 916251 View attachment 916253 View attachment 916254
So I just got the LK clear screen protector my 44mm Hermes Steel Model in the mail today, I peeled the ArmorSuit one i had installed off and i installed the new LK protector on, it took me 3 tries to be able to apply one decently so i wasted 3 but managed to get the 4th one on nicely with no bubbles and it’s fully on now and nearly invisible however it does seem quite fragile meaning that it gets scratched/dented quite easily, i even tried pressing on it with my fingernail and it leaves an indent which is extremely dissapointing. does this LK protector self heal scratches like the ArmorSuit one? Will it protect the watchface from impact like the ArmoSuit one?

Another thing i don't understand is why LK has so many different listings on Amazon for what seems to be the same screen protector? (i ordered the one you linked to above in your original post)

Last edited:

kingston73

macrumors 65816
Dec 23, 2015
No idea why there’s so many, but I have t noticed any issues with mine scratching. I have no idea how well it would protect.

Deep.sky

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2020
Ordered the LK, yeah not impressed and unhappy about the wasted money. The protector itself is a pita to get straight, but that’s not what bothers me. What bothers me is that using the provided item to smooth out the bubbles scratches the surface of the protector, rendering it damaged at the get go. And if a soft rounded edge can do that, what will real life do? Yeah, no thank you. To add insult to injury, when I removed the watch from the provided sticky donut, it left a bunch of residue that needed to be removed before I could resume use of it. Poor quality all around. Maybe I got a dud, but I’m not going to waste more money finding out.

Currently looking for tempered glass solutions that simply drop into place, matching the curve of the watch sides. Suggestions appreciated.

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Oct 17, 2010
Ordered the LK, yeah not impressed and unhappy about the wasted money. The protector itself is a pita to get straight, but that’s not what bothers me. What bothers me is that using the provided item to smooth out the bubbles scratches the surface of the protector, rendering it damaged at the get go. And if a soft rounded edge can do that, what will real life do? Yeah, no thank you. To add insult to injury, when I removed the watch from the provided sticky donut, it left a bunch of residue that needed to be removed before I could resume use of it. Poor quality all around. Maybe I got a dud, but I’m not going to waste more money finding out.

Currently looking for tempered glass solutions that simply drop into place, matching the curve of the watch sides. Suggestions appreciated.
The LK is actually excellent you must have not installed it correctly, you need to carefully follow the directions and not be agressive when applying it to the display as if you are too aggressive it will cause a dent that will not go away. Any glass protector would be difficult to install from what i read. kingston 73 mentioned Whitestone Glass. above. did you try that?

nill1234

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2012
Just exchanged my tempered glass which is glued wit uv loca glue to the watch because it took a hit and scattered. The process was easy and i got the new one on in 10 minutes. Those UV glasses are awesome, but you have to know what you are doing.

Attachments

• E330CEA8-56DC-434B-ACE1-DCCDF2024E14.jpeg
    E330CEA8-56DC-434B-ACE1-DCCDF2024E14.jpeg
    340.9 KB · Views: 438
  • 5DAA5B98-F7B1-45F1-8BF7-F99920824116.jpeg
    5DAA5B98-F7B1-45F1-8BF7-F99920824116.jpeg
    315.3 KB · Views: 455
Reactions: iCorz87

kaielement

macrumors 65816
Dec 16, 2010
I have used screen protectors in the past. Not a big fan they all seemed to have the same problem they would fall off or get messed up. Been waring my Apple Watch for almost two years naked no issues.

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Oct 17, 2010
I have used screen protectors in the past. Not a big fan they all seemed to have the same problem they would fall off or get messed up. Been waring my Apple Watch for almost two years naked no issues.
Listen it might work for you but many of us that work in places that have dust/abrasive materials it’s not safe to leave the watch without a screen protector

robertk328

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2010
I like the IQ Shield. I've used the Armor Suit in the past but the IQ Shield has done a lot better for clarity and how long it stays on.

Jack Neill

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2015
San Antonio Texas

I put a WSD on my S4 44 and it caught on a desk and came off a few days later. I did the second one and its stayed on. I agree that they are the best as far as clarity and touch sensitivity but WSD are really fragile and break easy. the WSD I put on my S10 cracked from a 3' fall onto carpet.

Canyda

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2020
Does anyone have experience with these snap-over hard plastic covers? I'm thinking they might be good when I'm doing things like moving heavy objects, camper van maintenance, etc.

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Oct 17, 2010
I like the IQ Shield. I've used the Armor Suit in the past but the IQ Shield has done a lot better for clarity and how long it stays on.
IQ is terrible, I hit my watch onto a piece of furniture the other day and it chipped the protector off of my Series 4, Armor Suit is way better I won’t be making the mistake of not going with ArmorSuit in the future

robertk328

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2010
IQ is terrible, I hit my watch onto a piece of furniture the other day and it chipped the protector off of my Series 4, Armor Suit is way better I won’t be making the mistake of not going with ArmorSuit in the future
Never had that issue. It's soft plastic so not sure how it would chip.

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Oct 17, 2010
Never had that issue. It's soft plastic so not sure how it would chip.
It didn’t chip exactly, it lifted the corner of the protector as I hit the watchface on the corner of furniture stand and it ripped a chunk from the protector, terrible protector. The armor suit I had would only lift under such an incident and would never actually tear a corner off.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.