Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rsxmachine

macrumors 6502a
Dec 19, 2007
so far IQ shield max has been good. Very hard to tell it is there except for the minor orange peel effect. Overall this is better than rhinoshield which i have previously used. Install is better and less orange peel. I just wish there was a brand that could make one without any orange peel and a perfectly smooth looking film, but it is probably not possible.

rstark18

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2009
so far IQ shield max has been good. Very hard to tell it is there except for the minor orange peel effect. Overall this is better than rhinoshield which i have previously used. Install is better and less orange peel. I just wish there was a brand that could make one without any orange peel and a perfectly smooth looking film, but it is probably not possible.

I agree completely. I even switched my wife's from a RinoGear to a IQShield. She was always peeling a corner because of the long sleeves she wears to work. With the IQShield the edges haven't had any signs of lifting. I also like that it's much thinner than the RinoGear.

rstark18

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2009
I was pretty satisfied with IQShield but one of the edge started to lift. I tried two more installs unsuccessfully. Each time the new installs would just not stay down.
Today I installed the RinoGear. The install is SO MUCH easier. It's slightly thicker with a little more orange peal effect but if it stays down for a few months that will make it better for me.

rstark18

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2009
I loved the screen protectors on the series 3 but for some reason I can't get one to stay on with my Series 4. So I bought Apple Care and am going without protection :(

Last edited:

sanandreas1234

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2010
I use the zagg invisible shield with a modal bumper case and has been working well. The bumper sits over the edges and the invisible shield hasn’t peeled or anything. Can’t really tell it’s on there either. BBAD2777-D3CD-4A00-9C0E-02617B7E117A.jpeg

bigboy29

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2016
Got the Zagg Glass Curve Elite and just installed it (the IQ Shield was just about to start peeling off again on one of the edges). Let's see how long this lasts!

Silver Idaten

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2015
Stratford, CT
I got some Skinomis and went through all six just trying to put one on. The one that’s left looks horrible. What a nightmare. I’ve ordered the Armorsuit instead. I’m basically just holding out until my Zagg Elite Glass order ships in the middle of January.

I use the zagg invisible shield with a modal bumper case and has been working well. The bumper sits over the edges and the invisible shield hasn’t peeled or anything. Can’t really tell it’s on there either. View attachment 812143
Is that the Curved Glass Elite? Looks good! Mine won’t get here until mid-January so these crappy wet applied film protectors are holding me over until then.

Last edited:

Thejameslavis

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2018
Ordered a batch of skinomi for my s4 and they’ve been junk. I’ve used them for years and applied a ton. These ones seem to lift easily, get random marks. They dropped the ball here.

yui4

macrumors 65816
May 26, 2011
I’ve used the LK screen protectors for both series 3 and 4, they don’t totally go edge to edge but they’ve been great, never had 1 peel up at all.

Reactions: DianaMR

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
Today I started using a Zagg watch bumper case. Why? Read on.

I've had my Apple Watch 4th Gen., black stainless, just shy of a week. I've been going through my watchbands from my Gen. 1. Today I tried out my Pad&Quill cuff for the first time on the new watch. I was surprised that it worked going from my Gen. 1 42mm to the Gen. 4 44mm. I thought the hole in the cuff might be too small. But nope it worked!

One thing I did immediately notice was that the watch stuck out more on my wrist. To be expected as most the watch rides on top of the band. IMHO, on less dressy watch bands, I thought the black shiny stainless case looked a little out of place. I'm also concerned that I'm going to increase bumping the watch as it rides higher on my wrist.
IMG_0261.jpeg

The Zagg bumper arrived today and I tried it with the P&Q cuff watchband. I really like the look of the flat black bumper against the rough finished brown Horeen leather. I probably won't keep the bumper on for dressy occasions while using more "classy" watchbands.

Silver Idaten

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2015
Stratford, CT
So does anyone have any experience with the Zagg Glass Elite? I just got them in but I heard they affect touch response, thinking of sending them back if that’s the case.

bigboy29

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2016
So does anyone have any experience with the Zagg Glass Elite? I just got them in but I heard they affect touch response, thinking of sending them back if that’s the case.

I have used it for about a month now so yes I can speak about this:

There is some impact to touch response. But let me explain:

- If your fingers are less than perfect (dusty, dirty, very dry, whatever) then screen response is going to be better with no glass on there. You now might wonder - why would I touch my screen with messed up fingers? Well, I rock climb. When rock climbing, I wear my watch to keep track of my climbing routes. My fingers are therefore quite chalky when I touch my watch screen.
- If your watch is on very tight, this can have an effect on screen response. I did not realize this but it drove me nuts when I started using Zagg, so much so that I went to the local Zagg kiosk at the mall and talked to them. After talking to a guy and showing him what my problem was (screen would not be responsive at times) he asked me to take the watch off and then try. It would always work perfectly. He then proceeded to say that there can be something with electric field of the human body / watch where if the watch is tight, some people can have issues with touch response. I have then started carrying the watch a little looser (I use sport straps) and basically this has solved majority of my touch issues. This - I would not believe unless I saw it / experienced it!

And now - here is how my watch looks like right now. New Zagg glass protector is on order. This is the result of me smacking my watch into the rock climbing wall about 5-6 times over the time of few weeks (the worst one on the left edge is from last night). Protector is still holding on, but yes, it needs replacing.

y4mIffpwc7O-rfLFzz9eBcxFrZ0bJ2TtsAXbek2l-hnF-D6h8V1GIRyCkmNXcSRNIMRwe69aDG8kPVMfwmeLrxm1il6HLTxFfshaGyFusUbSrc4Bgvxm4DLa4KoYLVhiUlFIiLW5XOkBAzK48BtPXCkv8XCdznlwtWRwO0YcxsRQAVUl6RtWbHYvgm2JBzcJN8L

zmon

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2013
Louisiana
Anybody give these a try? (Amazon) Not sure if I wanted to try the glass ones considering the comments about reduced touch sensitivity, so I'm giving the non-glass ones a try first. I know the sapphire glass on the SS is more durable, but I'd rather not take the chance if I can avoid it.

yui4

macrumors 65816
May 26, 2011
Anybody give these a try? (Amazon) Not sure if I wanted to try the glass ones considering the comments about reduced touch sensitivity, so I'm giving the non-glass ones a try first. I know the sapphire glass on the SS is more durable, but I'd rather not take the chance if I can avoid it.
Yes I used them on my series 3 and 4 and find them great. Stick on really well, never experienced any lifting or peeling and touch sensitivity seems the same as without (if it isn’t the same, the difference is minimal)

Dino F

Suspended
Sep 16, 2010
Croydon, South London, UK
I'm not knocking screen protectors as tried many with my original S0 Space Grey watch and just ended up sticking with a random Spigen screen protector film for my watch, which worked pretty good.

However, since owning my new 44mm SB SS S4 watch (bought close to release day), I haven't actually bothered with any protection at all as just love the clean lines of the watch and feel a protector would just ruin the look!

I'm not knocking those who use them but I'm just loving using it 'naked'!!!

BarryL

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2012
I've had good luck with Skinomi for (alum) Nike 42mm S2 & 44mm S4. You get 6 protectors for $8.

If I had a SS model I would not get screen protector, as SS models have the better screen. I just prefer the Nike alum models for their weight.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.