Screen protectors won't work due to curved screen?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by gusping, Mar 26, 2015.

1. gusping macrumors 6502

Hi,

I take it that due to the curved screen around the edges, screen protectors won't stick or if they do, it will just be in the middle part of the screen where it's flat.

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Companies do make screen protectors for the iPhone 6 and that has a curved display.

that being said, I think it'd be stupid to buy a screen protector for the watch, especially for the stainless steel model with a Sapphire display (but I've read many comments of people wanting to do so)

3. eastamherstbias macrumors 6502

I am all about a zagg for it. One accidental scratch in the middle on an item that I paid 750 for and have to stare at hourly would be annoying.

4. heeloliver macrumors 6502a

heeloliver

just don't rub it on diamonds. literally that's one of the only things that can scratch sapphire.

5. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

So you're sayaing their's a chance it can scratch, nope, won't risk. I must buy a $5 thing to put on top of my $700 thing to protect it.

6. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

agreed, even for a sport edition. I rather have it on day one then decide later to take it off then live with a scratch

Which is why i took my iPhone 6 + from the apple store across the way to zagg for a screen protector.

7. KauaiBruce macrumors 6502a

KauaiBruce

I literally banged my Seiko with Sapphire display against walls all the time. I am a big guy and just do that while walking in a hallway at least once a week. I regularly used my fingernail to scratch paint off of the display. It is still perfect. I am NOT getting a condom for my watch.

8. acctman macrumors 6502a

acctman

people buy $1500 watches without ever needed a screen protector... that's the silliest thing i've ever heard of. So if / when Apple makes a car, are people going to run around purchasing windshield and window protectors

9. aimbdd macrumors 6502a

Sport absolutely. Apple watch it is in no way needed. Honestly it's kind of stupid if you do buy one for the sapphire. The ion x screen on the other hand we don't know how well it would hold up. Speaking of the original post though, I have yet to find a good screen protector that actually sticks to the edges of my phone. They all start to peel

10. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

I spent a few "pennies" on protective film for my car....

11. aimbdd macrumors 6502a

12. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

I'm not entirely sure that you understand that my post was sarcastic.

13. Knowimagination macrumors 68000

Knowimagination

It always amazes me how many people do not get sarcasm on the internet...

Screen protector for the watch is really silly to me, but then again I don't have one on any of my apple devices so maybe I don't "get it"

14. eastamherstbias macrumors 6502

Ha, I did the same thing. I like the new Zagg Glass versions. I just dropped my 6+ on rocks 2 weeks ago and it shattered the Zagg Glass. No damage to the phone. Paid $3.99 for a replacement and best buy put the new one on for free. No regrets.

Just like a condom. I need some sort of protection.

----------

What if I bat my wrist against a hard object? I am sure the aluminum or steel can be damaged as well. Just my paranoia talking.

15. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Thats not proof that the iPhone screen would have shattered, just proof that the Zagg Glass is cheaply made.

People say things like that all the time, "look how scratched my screen protector looks, glad I have this on my iPhone to protect my screen otherwise it would look like this", no you just have a cheap piece of plastic on your screen that scratches easily.

16. eastamherstbias macrumors 6502

I work in the restaurant business. I see a ton of shattered screens and scratched screens on my employees. For the amount of money I pay to get a screen protector it is worth it. The protection is available and the new Zagg glass ones do not degrade my experience so I have no issues with it. I would rather spend $3.99 for a replacement screen compared to staring at a scratch.

17. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

I'm not disagreeing that phones when dropped don't break, or that shattered phones don't exist. My point is that you can't claim that if you dropped your phone and only your Zagg Glass protector breaks that your iPhone was in any saved by it, the same way you can't compare cheap plastic screen protector scratching to strengthened glass on the iPhone display, but I hear that comment all the time.

I've never used a case on any of my iPhones and I've known many people with an otterbox that have cracked their displays. Maybe its just luck that it will one day run out.

18. eastamherstbias macrumors 6502

I am not claiming that. Just that I have a screen protector on my phone and it is scratchless but all of my employees and co workers do not and they are shattered and/or have small scratches on their screens. Since I buy all of the phones on my work plan I see the damage every year when we trade them in.

19. Skylitfly, Mar 27, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015

Skylitfly macrumors 6502a

Are you kidding me?

You're gonna stick screen protector to your watch? :D

Sorry but that sounds extremely absurd to me. I, and I guess many others would never do that. That looks so cheap and inelegant.

20. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Not surprised. This will be a major purchase for many here and they will be heart broken when the get their first scratch or ding. The threads in this forum will be hilarious soon.

21. gusping thread starter macrumors 6502

Never said I would. I'm getting the SS version anyway I was just curious.

22. profmatt macrumors 65816

profmatt

It is absurd to ruin the beautiful form of an Apple Watch by attaching a screen protector to it.

You think $600 is a lot? Do you see people buying $10,000 Rolexes and stick screen protectors to them?

As I've said before, if you're dating a supermodel, you don't make her wear a bag over her head so that her pretty little face doesn't get scratched.

The level of paranoia on these forums over the apparently breathtaking delicateness of the AW is astonishing to me.

23. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Replies like this, people wishing to do all they can to keep the watch ultra perfect like the day it came out from the factory, makes me smile due to the other talks where people were insisting they will be upgradable.

As I pointed out many times in those threads, can you really imagine all these people taking their year+ Apple watch with dings and knocks/scratches on it, to the Apple store, having it opened up, new inside fitted, paying a few $100 and walking out with their still scratched and marked watch, still showing a year+ of visual usage, albeit with updated internals.

I have to smile when I think how unrealistic a scenario this is for many many people here.

24. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

I'm buying a diamond ring, do I need a screen protector? Answer: only if Apple makes it.:D

Over a century of wrist watches, Apple starts making them and all of a sudden everyone needs a screen protector. :eek:

25. Wahlstrm macrumors 6502a

Wahlstrm

To anybody who put screen protector on their iPhone day 1:
    Take it off and hear angels sing as you gaze upon this amazing retina screen.

Seriously, I put protector on my iphone 4s the day I got it and about a year later I took it of and was like "damn!" I have wasted a year of eye candy looking through this nasty, dirty, now kinda yellow piece of rubber/plastic/whatever screen protector.

Since then: No way in h*** I will use another screen protector :)