iPhone XR Screen Resolution....

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by AdamNC, Jan 5, 2019.

1. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

It's not really the same thing. Things might start at some similar starting point and get expanded/filled in, but higher PPI certainly plays a role. Plenty of people can still notice a difference with PPI in the 300 range and that which is higher than that.

2. Shanghaichica macrumors G3

Shanghaichica

I accept that this is an individual thing and some will be fine with it and others wont. However I completely agree with everything you've written. £900 for the 256GB Xr with a sub 1080p is unacceptable to me in 2018. For those that say it has the same ppi as the 8, that phone is Dead on arrival to me. Not only is it too small but the I can't deal with the low resolution. I returned an iphone 5S after 28 days because amongst other things the resolution was too low.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 6, 2019 ---
    We are all different. I hold my ipad pro a lot further away than my iphone because it's bigger.

3. AlexJoda macrumors 6502

AlexJoda

This 1080p thing was created for big TV sets to sell them as „HD“. This is a total irrelevant measure for phones. You can’t even compare pixel resolution for OLED and LED displays because in a PenTild matrix the green pixels are doubled.

4. darksithpro macrumors 6502a

Just curious, if 1080P is not needed on a phone, then why did Apple put higher resolution screens in their X/Xs and Xs MAX phones? by this logic why would apple have a higher PPI in a smaller phone screen size, the Xs?

5. alpi123 macrumors 6502

alpi123

This is the 788903948397th post for the screen of Xr. Just go ****ing see it in real person. It's sharp. It's an LCD, so whatever the quality before iPhone X was, it will be the same, if not better.

6. darksithpro macrumors 6502a

If it's such a nice screen and you can't tell the difference, then why is Apple using higher resolution OLEDs on their more expensive phones?

7. AlexJoda macrumors 6502

AlexJoda

Because this is only marketing BS from OLED manufacturers like Samsung...As I said, the „real“ resolution considering the PenTile Matrix is not that much higher and it is irrelevant for most people with average sight..

8. Starship67 macrumors 6502a

Starship67

The XR screen is more than acceptable to anyone. There are a few snobs in general that think they can tell the difference. But side by side without knowing I doubt they could.

9. alpi123 macrumors 6502

alpi123

As I said, it's the same quality as other iPhones before (excluding Plus versions for sharpness, the difference is not huge), not the same as OLED, which is the best.

10. AlexJoda macrumors 6502

AlexJoda

The question is also: how important is display quality for a 6.1“ phone display anyway as long as you can read the informations, look at the pictures and see the right colors? Is this $600 important as the difference between the XR and Xs Max?

I want perfect displays for my 27“ 5K iMac or my 65“ 4K TV or even for my 12.9“ iPP but not for my phone if it makes such a difference in battery life and price....

11. purged, Jan 6, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2019

purged macrumors regular

12. agente46 macrumors regular

I came from a 7+. My wife has an Xs and I have the Xr.

I cannot tell the difference from my usage of all these phones. I mean some of the people here claim there is a monumental difference and to be honest I find it hard to believe unless you are zooming in and holding the phone 4 inches from you face.

13. Spoon! macrumors 6502

Spoon!

If you can’t tell the difference, an eye exam would be beneficial.

14. Phone Junky macrumors 65816

Phone Junky

Higher cost to build=Higher selling price=Higher profit

15. davedvdy, Jan 6, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2019

davedvdy macrumors 6502

That would be untrue.
    I used this video example in another thread, and this will give another idea.

Pause the video at 9:46. The XR is on the Rt side; Lt side is the XS Max. The most noticeable differences are:

1. The painting in the background.
    2. Check each XR box in the video in comparison.
    3. Detroitborg at around 10:46 discusses the differences in sharpness of text clarity.

In all 3 instances you are seeing washed out color reproduction in comparison.

Forum members have brought up noticing differences several times, and they have been dismissed.

16. purged, Jan 6, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
  17. PeteS1963, Jan 6, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2019

PeteS1963 macrumors 6502

I’m surprised it’s taken so long for this “gem” to surface once again. I could also argue that if you can tell the difference then you are seeing things and require an immediate visit to an ophthalmologist. But that’s just as daft.

As part of my job I have to identify tiny features on plants and fungi. I know that there’s nothing wrong with my eyesight and I’m trained to noticed tiny differences. Believe it or not it’s a skill. Now, during normal use I can barely notice any difference. Sure, if I put the phone right up to my eye, or compare side by side, then yes, there are small differences. But I do not use my phone this way and personally I have better things to do with my life.

This is a side issue but I find all OLED screens oversaturated. To me photographs look unnatural. Worse on the cheaper displays but still noticeable on the iPhone. It’s as if you are in Teletubbyland. If you can’t see it then you need to visit an ophthalmologist :)
    Maybe it’s because some people enjoy paying Apple more for it?

18. Spoon! macrumors 6502

Spoon!

I’m sorry, but the difference is night and day, especially when watching higher res video. It makes a difference with text as well and I read a lot of eBooks on my phone. It’s been a much more pleasant experience. Your job regarding plants and fungi has literally nothing to do with this conversation in any capacity.

19. HEK macrumors 68040

HEK

Go to Apple store and look at it. Your opinion may differ from other people. Regardless what other people think, you will be one looking at it. Some things you have to decide for yourself.

20. Shanghaichica macrumors G3

Shanghaichica

But it’s not as good as the 8 plus.

21. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

Ultimately, that's really all it comes down to. All these numbers one videos and anecdotal experiences don't really mean anything as far as how someone will experience something and what they think about it.

22. Shanghaichica macrumors G3

Shanghaichica

I always found the non plus iPhones too low resolution. If it had a 1080p like the plus phones it would have been fine. However this is only my opinion which will be different to others.

23. I7guy macrumors P6

I7guy

There is a difference between the lcd on the xs and oled on the xs. Depending on view conditions, outside, direct sunlight, sunglasses, inside, dark room, light room etc seeing a quality difference in the display may not be feasible. In a darkish room though, black areas on the xs and max are black while one can see the backlight on lcd screens. Oled screens are also more energy efficient than lcd for dark theme screens.

Having said that the xs and max are about the camera, more memory, oled just rides in. If my wife is any indication of an average Apple customer, she doesn't care about oled. It's a tough sell except for a certain segment of the customer.

24. Shanghaichica macrumors G3

Shanghaichica

I’ve compared not only the Xr and my Xs max but I put my 7 plus next to the note 8 and the 7 plus looked washed out compared to the note 8. I owned the note 8 for 4 months together with my 7 plus and I could easily see the difference.
    There are other differences. Like a dual lens camera and 3D Touch and if you get the max you get a bigger display. For me they were worth the £350 difference however I understand for others they wouldn’t be worth it.