iPhone XR Screen Resolution....

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by AdamNC, Jan 5, 2019.

1. I7guy macrumors P6

I7guy

Samsung phones gave me a headache. I’m not finding pwm problematic on the max, though some do.

2. MICHAELSD, Jan 9, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2019

MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

Hmm, if I find myself switching from the 8+ directly to the XR I find the XR does look noticeably less sharp (slightly blurry in comparison even) although the colors pop. I also just tried to use 3D Touch to select text...

I do love the form factor, design, and camera though. It seems for me due to the PWM on the OLED models every new iPhone from 2018 is a compromise, and in the case of the XS/Max a compromise that means I’m unable to use it at all.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 9, 2019 ---
    I really hope all the new iPhones released later this year have no PWM at all, or that the XR model is upgraded to a 3x point resolution with 3D Touch if possible.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 9, 2019 ---
    I do think that they should have used a higher resolution and that the controversy over its PPI isn’t necessarily blown out of proportion even if the display does still look great. For its target audience it’s perfectly fine but I would love to see the impressive color/contrast of the XR’s display with a native 3x point resolution.

While the interface in iOS pops I can clearly see the difference in high-quality videos and text when switching between the XR and the 8+, not just in side-by-side comparisons. (Though the XR can look better in some instances as the improvements in color and contrast are noticeable.) They’ve been using a 401ppi resolution since the 6 Plus so 326ppi is still a harder sell for users of Plus phones.

3. akash.nu macrumors 603

akash.nu

It’s not as straightforward as the other OEMs. Folded screens were only a reality with iPhone X last year.

4. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

Spent some more time verifying my comparison and while I like the design of the XR it does still look noticeably less sharp than the 8+ to a relatively significant degree and the lack of 3D Touch is a frustratingly inconvenient dealbreaker. As much as I want to keep it as my annual upgrade since I’m not able to use the XS, I’m not going to downgrade and make multiple compromises just for the sake of “upgrading.”

5. mailcatchx macrumors newbie

That Foobar, reales.

An Eye with 20/20 Vision (Which have the Most Users) cannot Tell the Differnce at 10 Inches (Healthy Distance)!. Their Vision is max 316ppi.

That is proven.

6. Shanghaichica macrumors G3

Shanghaichica

Samsung has a flexible display. LG and Samsung showed off folded displays as far back as 2013/14.

7. davedvdy macrumors 6502

That certainly has not been proven. It depends on someone's eye sight. 900 PPI even @ 12 inches, according to this source:

https://www.cultofmac.com/173702/why-retina-isnt-enough-feature/

This source claims 1000 PPI likely just depending, but they both are well over 316 PPI:

"Research from Sun Microsystems estimated the limit to be at least 2X what 20/20 vision is (pdf link), and Sharp thinks that humans can see up to 1000 PPI (pdf link)."

https://www.ubergizmo.com/what-is/ppi-pixels-per-inch/

8. akash.nu macrumors 603

akash.nu

Showing off at a conference and mass production in millions is not the same.

9. kargurin macrumors 6502

kargurin

....and test it in a way that no one who reviews displays seems to want to bother with....with small text. Images, apps and big text will probably not reveal much of a difference. But if you read a newspaper website where the point size can be quite small I'm betting there will be a difference. That's what I noticed when I flipped from the Plus iPhones to Android (which had higher resolution screens for a good stretch of time)....the small text print was easily inferior and more difficult to read on the iphones. I'll need to see for myself next time I stop into a BB or carrier store with my Max in hand.

10. seaw macrumors member

To round it up. There is a noticeable difference in sharpness from the XR to the 8 Plus to the XS but it is not important. When comparing devices you see/recognize the difference in clarity but then you forget about it again. Difference is there but it’s not overwhelmingly different.
    The more important questions should be:
    1. Since for example Netflix does not allow the XR a 1080p playback, only 720p (software regulated), all of a sudden the whole discussion does matter.
    Because, not be able to stream 1080p on such a large screen, could be problematic!!! I did not have a chance to test it yet. Any comments on that matter from you guys?

2. I also do not know, if all the other platforms (iTunes, Youtube) even allow streaming in a higher resolution than 720p?

3. And why would you (Netflix) regulate the resolution for a device that has almost a 1080p display?

Thanks
    --- Post Merged, Jan 10, 2019 ---
    And here is proof from Netflix Help Site.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 10, 2019 ---
    Sorry for uploading the German version. But you can identify the key facts right?!

Attached Files:

11. JPack macrumors 68040

JPack

Those tests were done more than 4 years ago when iPhone 6 was released. You'll find plenty of comparisons between 326 and 401 PPI.

Virtually every newspaper website today has a mobile optimized version. This is not the 2007 keynote when Steve Jobs visited the NY Times desktop website and had to zoom in. The chance of someone having to view text smaller than the app icon titles is pretty slim.

12. MICHAELSD, Jan 10, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2019

MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

The way the XR handles downscaling video is is interesting since compared to the 8+ it appears sharper with less detail, as if there’s some kind of processing being done to sharpen the image.

13. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

Nice catch, the American version of Netflix also limits XR streaming to 720p. This doesn’t really make sense since a lot of content is in a wider aspect ratio so it can still benefit from being streamed at a 1080p resolution especially if it is zoomed to fit the screen.

YouTube does give the option to stream in 1080p but apps like HBO Go and even Apple’s own Trailers app seem to be upscaled and not optimized for the XR which affects the quality of video.

The XR is a nice phone with an otherwise top-notch LCD display so it’s a shame it’s bottlenecked by its resolution.

Attached Files:

14. mailcatchx macrumors newbie

Die dpi read my Post ? I Said 20/20 Vision which habe the Most, but there are some with 20/15,20/10. And it is proven, it is simple Marhematics paired with a Visiontest.

15. davedvdy macrumors 6502

Do you have any research proof of what you are claiming? I'm using actual sources for my claims.
    I took a specific excerpt below, but there's a lot of info in that Cult of Mac link to at least question any 300 PPI "proof". The research from Sun Micro Systems was pretty consistent, and actually a bit higher PPI than the 951 PPI one below.

"J. Blackwell of the Optical Society of America determined back in 1946 that the resolution of the human eye was actually closer to 0.35 arc minutes. Again, this means that for an iPhone 4S to have a true Retina display, it would need pixels that were 65% smaller than it currently has."

65% smaller so it's claiming 951 PPI for true retina resolution.

That source was giving a formula 12 inches away, when you quoted 10, so that's farther and higher.

https://www.cultofmac.com/173702/why-retina-isnt-enough-feature/

16. GoldfishRT macrumors 6502

GoldfishRT

For the record, I can totally notice watching videos that the XR has less resolution than the Galaxy it largely replaces although in reading and mail and such it's less noticeable. Anecdotes are hardly the most concrete of evidence however. All I'll say is there was a large subset of the population that believed going over 60fps was pointless - coming from the position of never having actually used a higher refresh display for any length of time.

The human eye and brain combo is capable of resolving far more than anything you can buy on the market right now. I don't necessarily need a 4k 13" display and I don't need more than 1080p on a phone but that doesn't mean I can't tell the difference.

As an aside, as a compromise for the resolution, a high refresh display on the XR would've been a killer feature. I was playing with the paps new iPad Pro and it's stunning how smooth and responsive iOS can be on that thing. Not just refresh, the lack of ghosting and stuff was impressive as well.

17. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

Everybody I know at the age of 40 and up has a focussing distance of 30inches or higher. So this 12 inch test is useless for many. In addition more than half of the people i know need glasses, contacts or lasik and still have bad eyesight. None of them can tell the difference between 200 dpi and 1000 dpi.
    So my guess is that probably ~half of the customers will be happy with the XR.
    It's ironic that mostly the young people who usually have less money will have to spend more money on the XS.