Screen Sharing and Control Between Mac and PC

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by baryon, Apr 11, 2011.

1. baryon macrumors 68040

baryon

I live far away from my parents and I often need to fix things on their computers, such as installing updates, removing viruses, or scanning documents that I don't have with me. They're not good with computers, so I need to tell them exactly what to click on and it takes hours to do something as simple as scanning a document and emailing it to me.

They have 2 PCs running XP and I have a Mac.

Currently, we use Skype's Screen Sharing, it works, but it's quite laggy, the image quality is bad and it only allows me to see their screen without being able to actually do anything other than tell them what to click on based on what I see.

Are there any applications out there that would allow for not just screen sharing, but also remote control between PCs and Macs? It would make my life a lot easier if I could just control their PCs. Even just mouse control would be enough, though keyboard and mouse control would be the best.

Thanks!

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Any VNC or Remote Desktop software would probably do what you want, but regardless it's going to be laggy. You could also check out GoToMyPC or GoToMeeting.

3. satkin2 macrumors regular

I use TeamViewer to control my parents PC from my Mac. It can be a little laggy, but nothing unworkable. Best of all this allows me to control their machine, plus its free.

4. baryon thread starter macrumors 68040

baryon