Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

baryon

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 3, 2009
I live far away from my parents and I often need to fix things on their computers, such as installing updates, removing viruses, or scanning documents that I don't have with me. They're not good with computers, so I need to tell them exactly what to click on and it takes hours to do something as simple as scanning a document and emailing it to me.

They have 2 PCs running XP and I have a Mac.

Currently, we use Skype's Screen Sharing, it works, but it's quite laggy, the image quality is bad and it only allows me to see their screen without being able to actually do anything other than tell them what to click on based on what I see.

Are there any applications out there that would allow for not just screen sharing, but also remote control between PCs and Macs? It would make my life a lot easier if I could just control their PCs. Even just mouse control would be enough, though keyboard and mouse control would be the best.

Thanks!

satkin2

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2010
I use TeamViewer to control my parents PC from my Mac. It can be a little laggy, but nothing unworkable. Best of all this allows me to control their machine, plus its free.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.