Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PaulAtkinson

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 1, 2012
San Francisco
For those who are comparison shopping. I don't have a high-definition 15" MBP for comparison, unfortunately. Does anyone, else?

Retina Display at "best for retina" setting (1440x900):
i-z5zs783-L.jpg

Glossy 1440x900 display:
i-rPbRQS6-L.jpg

iLikeTurtles!

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2012
can do me a favor i cannot fin this anywhere

can you doa screen shot of microsoft word on the retina macbook pro. ive read office looks like crap on it, and i use the dam software for university XD

zerotiu

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2012
Camera will make the comparison much worse because of the moire effect. Using our eyes, glossy is considered good. We all have used LED display for a long time and the effect is not as dramatic as the photo :)

can you doa screen shot of microsoft word on the retina macbook pro. ive read office looks like crap on it, and i use the dam software for university XD

There is someone who uploaded it. I forget the name of the thread but it is still usable. It is not that bad. Let's see if I can find the thread.

Trey M

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2011
USA

Office is definitely a little blurier than you're used to but it's not unusable by any means and it will be fixed within I'd say 2 months tops. Most likely sooner. Don't let something related to software hold you back!

shansoft

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2011
something is definitely off right there....

It looks like you are really close up to the monitor where your camera can capture the pixel grid.

Retina is only 2x2 the density, where it shouldn't be looking like that if its view at the same distance.

MacBird

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2010
Office is definitely a little blurier than you're used to but it's not unusable by any means and it will be fixed within I'd say 2 months tops. Most likely sooner. Don't let something related to software hold you back!

How do you know that MS is going to release an update for Retina displays within 2 months? I haven't seen any official announcement, can you provide a link or is this simply a guess stated as a fact?

pacman7331

macrumors regular
Apr 5, 2006
if ya'll dont believe it do a check at the store it really looks like that. We are just used to it.

Its like comparing a yarn canvass to a silk canvass.

however the bottom pic shows some discoloration that is atypical.

Trey M

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2011
USA
How do you know that MS is going to release an update for Retina displays within 2 months? I haven't seen any official announcement, can you provide a link or is this simply a guess stated as a fact?

Ummmmm did you not read that I said "I'd say 2 months tops". Not "2 months tops." I'd say is obviously my opinion, not a "guess stated as a fact" Please read before you make a pointless reply.

PVisitors

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2011
Ummmmm did you not read that I said "I'd say 2 months tops". Not "2 months tops." I'd say is obviously my opinion, not a "guess stated as a fact" Please read before you make a pointless reply.

Think 2 months is optimistic mate. Still remember when Microsoft announced straight after Lion was released they would be 'shortly' updating Word for Mac to support Lion's new features. Took them 9 months and it still isn't using all of Lion's new features.

Given they haven't said anything about this at all, I think it could be another 9 months as it is typical of them. MS Word for Mac gets neglected for obvious reasons.

Hopefully Apple can get Pages updated quickly. I ditched Mac Word a few months ago to capitalise on Pages using Lion's features. It would be a poor showing if Apple don't get a Retina update out sharpish on their very own iWork suite.

Trey M

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2011
USA
Think 2 months is optimistic mate. Still remember when Microsoft announced straight after Lion was released they would be 'shortly' updating Word for Mac to support Lion's new features. Took them 9 months and it still isn't using all of Lion's new features.

Given they haven't said anything about this at all, I think it could be another 9 months as it is typical of them. MS Word for Mac gets neglected for obvious reasons.

Hopefully Apple can get Pages updated quickly. I ditched Mac Word a few months ago to capitalise on Pages using Lion's features. It would be a poor showing if Apple don't get a Retina update out sharpish on their very own iWork suite.

Maybe 2 months is optimistic...the thing about Lion support was that none of the features were really that important, so I doubt Microsoft really made it a priority. As more and more people get their hands on Retina MBP's, I think they'll be pressured more and more everyday to update the UI. Also, Microsoft making software in a fair amount of time for Apple products is actually a bigger priority than you'd imagine, and though it isn't as urgent as something in house, development for Apple is still very important for Microsoft as a company.

MacBird

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2010

If you have no specific information, why would you include a timeframe? It took MS over 8 months to include the full screen version of Office. The point of my 'pointless reply' is stick to facts that you actually know.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
Could you do us a favor and post screenshots of the two when they show a website with some images? I want to see if there is much difference.

cmChimera

macrumors 601
Feb 12, 2010
If you have no specific information, why would you include a timeframe? It took MS over 8 months to include the full screen version of Office. The point of my 'pointless reply' is stick to facts that you actually know.

How's that stick feel?

MacBird

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2010
Thanks!

I wanted to see if the images will appear more blurred on the retina than on the normal MBP (as many here have claimed), but I am afraid that this is not so simple ^^ I take the bottom ones are RMBP? What would you say, how does picture quality compares between the two?

The images on the retina display look less detailed to me. If there is no fine detail it might not make a big difference. Images of wildlife images are a different story (fur, plumage). All wildlife pro photographers who I know cancelled their orders after direct comparisons with the last-generation MBP.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.