Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FineFuturity

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 19, 2012
MA, United States
I have the 9.7 inch iPad Pro, and it’s been a wonderful device. Admittedly, it’s been through a number of replacements for various problems, but this is the first time I’ve encountered this (potential) one.

Basically, when looking at the screen dead on, it *seems* like the screen is skewed ever so slightly, making straight lines look slanted. It’s driving me a little batty, because there are times where it seems to go to away and come back. Not sure if it’s an optical illusion, my eyes needing to be checked, or if it’s *actually* the screen.

I’m considering going to the Genius Bar for this, but it feels kinda embarrassing, honestly

What do you guys think? I’ll edit a pic in shortly.

EDIT: pics shown as below. I tried to get it as head on as I could. Thoughts?

EDIT 2: see reply. might be vision issues as opposed to the screen. going to get it checked ASAP.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 687
  • IMG_0808.JPG
    IMG_0808.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 467
Last edited:

PROFESS0R

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2017
I am not seeing any problem. I wonder if you aren't just seeing some optical illusion based on what is being displayed. You can download images that will help you determine if there is skew. Once you download the image(s) and view them, it will be more obvious if you have a problem.

Precursor

Cancelled
Sep 29, 2015
Istanbul
Oh wow, I noticed it immediately. Especially in the first picture the red line (above your username) is totally skewed. Being the OCD that I am, I wouldn't be able to look at it for constant use.

Reactions: Broadus

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
Oh wow, I noticed it immediately. Especially in the first picture the red line (above your username) is totally skewed. Being the OCD that I am, I wouldn't be able to look at it for constant use.

It's most certainly an optical illusion for certain type of eyes.

Precursor

Cancelled
Sep 29, 2015
Istanbul
It's most certainly an optical illusion for certain type of eyes.
Optical illusion? There is nothing to cause an optical illusion in that picture, no round shapes, nothing diagonal. You can see only parallel and perpendicular lines. And that red line is definitely not horizontally straight.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
Optical illusion? There is nothing to cause an optical illusion in that picture, no round shapes, nothing diagonal. You can see only parallel and perpendicular lines. And that red line is definitely not horizontally straight.

How's it possible on the same screen that one line is not straight and the others are?

Precursor

Cancelled
Sep 29, 2015
Istanbul
How's it possible on the same screen that one line is not straight and the others are?
That is the only line I can see bold enough and runs across the width of the screen. There could be a bulging of the screen, I don't know. But that red line does look skewed, I actually zoomed in and checked with a ruler lol.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
That is the only line I can see bold enough and runs across the width of the screen. There could be a bulging of the screen, I don't know. But that red line does look skewed, I actually zoomed in and checked with a ruler lol.

The red line at the top of the screen should be thick enough as well. Do you notice it there?

Plus, bulge on the screen will be very obvious with a size that big. Putting something straight against the screen will confirm that. OP is definitely seeing an illusion.

Ps. Optical illusions can be colour dependent, not just shape.

Precursor

Cancelled
Sep 29, 2015
Istanbul
The red line at the top of the screen should be thick enough as well. Do you notice it there?

Plus, bulge on the screen will be very obvious with a size that big. Putting something straight against the screen will confirm that. OP is definitely seeing an illusion.

Ps. Optical illusions can be colour dependent, not just shape.
Actually in this thread, some people appear to have received curved iPads which, in landscape mode, would make horizontal lines look skewed. That wouldn't be an illusion, it would be the screen being physically curved.

myrtlebee

macrumors 68030
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland
I am very picky and observant with screens and I don't see anything here. The easiest way to check if the screen is skewed is to look at the black border between the screen and and white bezel. If it is even all the way around then your screen is not skewed.

Skewed screens are fairly common on iPads without screen lamination, easily noticeable in white bezeled iPads by looking at that black border. Here, it doesn't seem to be the case in my opinion. Maybe I'm just not seeing it.

FineFuturity

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 19, 2012
MA, United States
I realize it's been 2 months since this posting, but I figured I would provide an update.

It's weird that the slant I notice literally changes direction from going towards the right, to the left, etc. And when flipping the iPad to where the home button is on the opposite side, the slant is in the same direction. I've noticed it in my MacBook Pro, my iPhone, some monitors on my office... hell, I think even on some real life objects we have sitting around, too. What's even weirder is that this slanting comes and goes every so often.

My conclusion? I don't think it's the screen -- I actually think it may be my vision. It's just not possible for every screen I've looked to have some level of crookedness. I should probably get this checked ASAP.

Thanks for everyone's input on this matter. At least it helped bring this possibility to the forefront. o_O

Reactions: Newtons Apple

Tapiture

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2016
I realize it's been 2 months since this posting, but I figured I would provide an update.

It's weird that the slant I notice literally changes direction from going towards the right, to the left, etc. And when flipping the iPad to where the home button is on the opposite side, the slant is in the same direction. I've noticed it in my MacBook Pro, my iPhone, some monitors on my office... hell, I think even on some real life objects we have sitting around, too. What's even weirder is that this slanting comes and goes every so often.

My conclusion? I don't think it's the screen -- I actually think it may be my vision. It's just not possible for every screen I've looked to have some level of crookedness. I should probably get this checked ASAP.

Thanks for everyone's input on this matter. At least it helped bring this possibility to the forefront. o_O
You should read “The Yellow Wallpaper.” I think you have a lot in common with the main character, haha.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida

Plus 10 for coming back to tell us this.

Reactions: Broadus
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.