Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Yesterday, we pointed to mention of "iWork for iPhone" in several of Apple's international online stores, marking the second time that Apple's own site has suggested that a scaled-down version of its iWork for iPad productivity suite might be making its way to the iPhone and iPod touch.

132644-pages_ipod_1.jpg
132645-pages_ipod_2.jpg

In a pair of posts today, 9 to 5 Mac shares a number of purported shots of Pages running on an iPod touch. While Pages has been unofficially ported from iPad to iPhone, the new screenshots, while blurry, exhibit none of the toolbar formatting issues seen on the tweaked iPad version and appear to offer a customized layout for the iPhone and iPod touch's smaller screen size.

132645-pages_ipod_3.jpg
132645-pages_ipod_4.jpg

As the first report notes, the iPod touch on which Pages appears to be running currently carries only a 320 x 480 display, suggesting that an iWork for iPhone release may not be limited to the 640 x 960 "Retina" display of iPhone 4.

Meanwhile, WMPoweruser.com points to a new Microsoft job posting looking for a software engineer to work on bringing Office Mobile to Nokia smartphones, with "other leading Smartphone platforms" also being targeted, leading to speculation of Office for iOS devices. A Microsoft project manager noted in early February soon after the iPad's introduction that the company was "looking at" the possibility of an iPad version of Office, but a company executive tempered expectations in mid-April by claiming that the company had "no current plans" to bring Office to the Apple's tablet device. The company has not specifically addressed the possibility of Office for the even smaller iPhone and iPod touch screen size.

Article Link: Screenshots of Pages for iPhone and iPod Touch?

SkippyThorson

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2007
Utica, NY
This would be awesome. :)

I think I underestimated how big a role the iPhone 4's screen would play in its capabilities - but if this is for all iPhones and iPod Touches, I just may continue carrying my old iPhone with me as a mini-work-device. Nothing on it but iWork and productivity apps, which would leave my iPhone 4 as my main device, uncluttered of work, and free space for use. Especially since I could cut down on flashing iPhone 4. It's fame comes with a price. :p

Schtumple

macrumors 601
Jun 13, 2007
benkadams.com
Would be nice to have a decent word application for the iPhone, that and now having the keyboard input option in OS4 is pretty sweet.

atomicbatteries

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2010
For the life of me I do not understand why this forum is making such a big deal about this, I mean its not as though there are not other programs that do the very same thing and its kind of a no brainer isn't it?

Jeremy1026

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2007
I like the idea, but I don't see myself sitting down to my iPhone to work on a paper, report, notes anything. If I need to write something, its probably quick and dirty, and perfectly suited for "Notes".

gentleman00

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2007
Come on! How many of us are going to be using Pages to write a paper on the iphone? Thats insane! Its hard enough typing memos on Notes:eek:

SkippyThorson

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2007
Utica, NY
For the life of me I do not understand why this forum is making such a big deal about this, I mean its not as though there are not other programs that do the very same thing and its kind of a no brainer isn't it?

There are others that do it, sure. There are other phones that make calls, and other PDAs that organize our data, too.

Are there any that do it as well, as good looking, and easy as Apple?

Sure, I won't use it every day to write papers or create spreadsheets or presentations, but the ability to carry them with me and edit on-the-go is a big deal for me.

rwilliams

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2009
Raleigh, NC
I already use Documents to Go to read and edit documents on the go, but a real iWork suite would be hard to pass up. Well, let me clarify that - Pages would be hard to pass up. I probably would have little use for Numbers or Keynote on a phone.

ilogic

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2007
New Jersey
Well you need some kind of publishing app on the iPhone, and it would be silly for Apple not to bring their iWorks onto their own mobile platform.

In the screenshot though I don't see export to PDF, that's worrisome.

pacmania1982

macrumors 65816
Nov 19, 2006
Birmingham, UK
As long as I don't have to pay for it again... I have the iPad versions, I'd be pissed if I had to drop another $9.99 per app to have the iPhone versions (if I wanted them of course)

pac

franswa za

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2010
south africa
Well you need some kind of publishing app on the iPhone, and it would be silly for Apple not to bring their iWorks onto their own mobile platform.

In the screenshot though I don't see export to PDF, that's worrisome.

probably because it's ADOBE.............distant cousin of Flash?

it might change

matthewjacob

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2003
With all the advancements in photography I find it astounding that nobody can take a decent in-focus pic.

rwilliams

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2009
Raleigh, NC
As long as I don't have to pay for it again... I have the iPad versions, I'd be pissed if I had to drop another $9.99 per app to have the iPhone versions (if I wanted them of course)

I would hope that Apple would just update the current versions and make them universal apps so that it would be a free update to those of you who already bought them for the iPad.

SkippyThorson

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2007
Utica, NY
With all the advancements in photography I find it astounding that nobody can take a decent in-focus pic.

Two things:

1) I totally agree with you on that one. I can understand quick candid shots being blurry, but the iPhone with it is right there. Just stand still a second and take a clear picture, please. It's not hard.

2) I think your "newbie" status should be upgraded with "Join Date: Jan 2003". :p

tarproductions

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2010
San Diego, CA
this is big news. Soon the iPod Touch/iPhone/iPad or any mix thereof will replace the heart of our laptops/computers. We'll be able to connect to keyboards and displays and always have a portable device to take with us (all while not missing a call)

Becordial

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2009
I don't care for iwork but I would absolutely love it if we finally see MS Office apps on the iphone.

Office works so bad on my Mac, I'd probably be much more productive working on the iPhone version! :D

carmenodie

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2008
I like the idea, but I don't see myself sitting down to my iPhone to work on a paper, report, notes anything. If I need to write something, its probably quick and dirty, and perfectly suited for "Notes".

Ok, I get it but think about the folks that text all day. Some much so that what they write is in affect(use your imagination), a term paper. Hello!!!!!!
A presentation etc.
I can see and you can to walking around with iworks for iphone, capturing video and pictures and them putting them into Keynote and pages. That is freaking awesome!!!!!

franswa za

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2010
south africa
I don't care for iwork but I would absolutely love it if we finally see MS Office apps on the iphone.

Office works so bad on my Mac, I'd probably be much more productive working on the iPhone version! :D

dogness..........

if it does not work great on your mac....... why should it work better on your iphone?

it works fine on all my macs... although i do not like to support M$

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.