Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rockitdog

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 25, 2013
I get that Apple has to promote the latest and greatest products but I think Jonny Ive really slaps his customers in the face when he craps on the iPhone 7 Plus like he did a couple of days ago. “It now seems to me a rather disconnected component housed in an enclosure.” There are millions of people with that phone in their pocket because they purchased a product that they believed Apple poured their heart and soul into. What message does this send to iPhone 8 Plus owners - essentially the same enclosure. I love my iPhone 8 Plus but statements like this really leave a bad taste in my mouth when it comes to Apple products and their marketing.

Read more: http://www.smithsonianmag.com/innovation/jony-ive-apple-design-genius-180967232/#ktWqYu4tokPl82aO.99

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
He just insulted his company's current product. Mind blown but it proves what I have been saying all along. Apple doesn't give a damn about their mid range products

Reactions: Earth45

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
He just insulted his company's current product. Mind blown but it proves what I have been saying all along. Apple doesn't give a damn about their mid range products

Very specific criticism too and actions (picking up the actual 7p), and tough one to “re-clarify” or retract even

What is Tim gonna do tho aside from a Pep talk, can their lead designer and head honcho? :D

Conflicting strategy from Angela saying retail will NOT up sell X to customers and there’s an iPhone for each persons budget and needs; more or less

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I get that Apple has to promote the latest and greatest products but I think Jonny Ive really slaps his customers in the face when he craps on the iPhone 7 Plus like he did a couple of days ago. “It now seems to me a rather disconnected component housed in an enclosure.” There are millions of people with that phone in their pocket because they purchased a product that they believed Apple poured their heart and soul into. What message does this send to iPhone 8 Plus owners - essentially the same enclosure. I love my iPhone 8 Plus but statements like this really leave a bad taste in my mouth when it comes to Apple products and their marketing.

Read more: http://www.smithsonianmag.com/innovation/jony-ive-apple-design-genius-180967232/#ktWqYu4tokPl82aO.99
I think, despite his contrarian statements, Jony Ive exists in a design vacuum where the people he works with are more inclined to agree with his thoughts and ideas then they are to disagree - even when those thoughts and ideas aren't any good.

iOS 7 and it's Fisher-Price/PlaySkool preschool design is his product. It's been continued all the way up into iOS 11. Apple believes Animojis are a feature on a device sold to mature adults and business, as well as a poop emoji.

Every time I read or hear Ive I am frequently reminded of the ad rep I work with. Everything is great until the customer wants to change their ad and then everything is all of a sudden garbage. Ive doesn't strike me as the kind of person who functions in the present. But he doesn't have to because he's got money and position that insulates him from having to deal with actual Apple customers.

Last edited:

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
Haven’t they done much the same with the Mac line of computers with the latest iPad commercial that has a kid asking at the end “what’s a computer?”

It seems to me that they have made two damning admissions here (1) that the IPad is *not* a computer and (2) that Apple doesn’t really care about computers anymore.

They are focusing on becoming a mobile device company

Reactions: iJustiney

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Is anyone gonna see their 7/8p different now that their master does and return it or keep it in a drawer forever and go to X or android?

That’s the real question :D

How much do you REALLY drink the Ive koolaid?

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
Haven’t they done much the same with the Mac line of computers with the latest iPad commercial that has a kid asking at the end “what’s a computer?”

It seems to me that they have made two damning admissions here (1) that the IPad is *not* a computer and (2) that Apple doesn’t really care about computers anymore.

They are focusing on becoming a mobile device company
Basically with the insult of the iPhone 8/7 and with that Mac ad, it implies they are simply going where the most profits lie

Reactions: SDColorado

thesaint024

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2016
suspension waiting room

Haha. I love your title. But yeah, it was a dick move. I'm sure he's getting a talking to from Timmy since it undermines their sales strategy. But in the end, who cares what Jony says, love your phone regardless.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
It’s a bit of an odd statement from Ive I have to admit. I’m sure iPhone 8 owners disagree with him. Why did Apple release an iPhone 8 if the iPhone 7 is currently a ‘disconnected component’. Surely it does the same thing as any other iPhone unless you are fantasising about something magic that isn’t happening?

It’s rather ironic too seeing as the iPhone 7 is selling quite well at the moment with the price drop.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Is anyone gonna see their 7/8p different now that their master does and return it or keep it in a drawer forever and go to X or android?

That’s the real question :D

How much do you REALLY drink the Ive koolaid?
:D

I see my 6s+ the same way I always have. Fugly.

I didn't get the 7+ or 8+ for the same reasons.

It will continue to get used though until it's replacement in 2018 with a non-Apple device. :)

brian3uk

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2016
I think he's not wrong, but I also think it is time for him to move on. If the X is the new design they should have made them all that style, and just made LCD and OLED versions in different sizes. Why split the design styles and then sh*t on one of them. He is tired of Apple and it shows.

Last edited:

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Seems like a mountain is being made out of a molehill. Purely from design aspect of things a designer who came up with and moved on to the next best thing is certainly going to see some things that could be improved in the previous design, thus the new design basically. Seems fairly straightforward and really not that unexpected or with some sort of meaning that goes beyond that (aside from reading in more into it basically).

Last edited:

thesaint024

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2016
suspension waiting room
Johnny is a tool!! No wait a minute a tool is more useful!! They don’t care about their customers as they once did.
Uh they NEVER cared about their customers. Apple isn't your best friend, they are a company that makes a lot of money. The sooner people realize they don't owe anyone anything, the sooner you can start enjoying your phones or computers. Companies start acting like they care when they get some bad press. Apple goes out of their way (relatively speaking) to not get to that point. Vote with your dollars, but good luck finding a phone manufacturer that "cares" about anyone's feelings. Feelings take are a very low priority compared to shareholder returns.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Seems like a mountain is being made out of a molehill. Purely from design aspect of things a designer who came up
with and moved on to the next best thing is certainly going to see some things that could be improved in the previous design, thus the new design basically. Seems fairly straightforward and really not that unexpected or with some sort of meaning that goes beyond that (aside from reading in more into it basically).
Moving on is one thing. You learn from your past designs, both what is good and what is bad.

Moving on while trashing previous designs is another thing entirely.

ericgtr12

macrumors 68000
Mar 19, 2015

I don't know that I've ever seen a more pretentious person than Jonny Ive.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
I think he was honest in his point of view as a designer. But sometimes you can't be too honest. But it's Jony Ive. So he can say what he want to say.

Reactions: braddick

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Moving on is one thing. You learn from your past designs, both what is good and what is bad.

Moving on while trashing previous designs is another thing entirely.
I don't think what he said trashes anything really. Saying that the previous design was a collection of things in an enclosure is hardly an insult. I mean people get offended at all kinds of things, but in plenty of instances it happens over things that aren't really offensive.
[doublepost=1512148815][/doublepost]
I think he was honest in his point of view as a designer. But sometimes you can't be too honest. But it's Jony Ive. So he can say what he want to say.
There's essentially that too.

Reactions: dontworry

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Uh they NEVER cared about their customers.
This is pretty much it. Too many people think because they value their iPhone or their Mac and spend a lot of money that Apple values them in the same way.

Apple values the tangible benefits they receive from appearing to be customer focused and oriented. They will do what it takes (such as good customer service) to reap those tanglible benefits.

That gets mistaken as them caring about the customer.

Yet a lot of people look the other way when Jobs and now Cook tell the customer to get bent because Apple has done something else the customer doesn't like.
[doublepost=1512148960][/doublepost]
I don't think what he said trashes anything really. Saying that the previous design was a collection of things in an enclosure is hardly an insult. I mean people get offended at all kinds of things, but in plenty of instances it happens over things that aren't really offensive.
I think it may come down to the fact of terminology.

As a graphic designer by profession the terms he used roughly translate as "that's garbage". At least in my book they do.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Johnny is a tool!! No wait a minute a tool is more useful!! They don’t care about their customers as they once did.

Uh they NEVER cared about their customers. Apple isn't your best friend, they are a company that makes a lot of money. The sooner people realize they don't owe anyone anything, the sooner you can start enjoying your phones or computers. Companies start acting like they care when they get some bad press. Apple goes out of their way (relatively speaking) to not get to that point. Vote with your dollars, but good luck finding a phone manufacturer that "cares" about anyone's feelings. Feelings take are a very low priority compared to shareholder returns.
Remember what even Steve Jobs said in relation to customers:

https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/988332-some-people-say-give-the-customers-what-they-want-but

https://quotefancy.com/quote/911555...t-they-want-and-then-try-to-give-that-to-them

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I don't know that I've ever seen a more pretentious person than Jonny Ive.
His money and title allow this.

No one can or will tell him no, or disagree with him. The circles he involves himself in only reinforce the opinions he has of himself.

He is an aristocrat.

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013
Consumerism. He's playing into the "If you don't have the best, you've got the worst". It's a typical attitude I see a lot from  these days.

Oh you don't want the highest storage?
*Turns up nose* Oh you don't like the X? *Looks down at you*

So much for the "We're not trying to upsell you" when really it's "We're not going to tell you we want to upsell you but we'll say things to make you feel bad about it!".

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
:D

I see my 6s+ the same way I always have. Fugly.

I didn't get the 7+ or 8+ for the same reasons.

It will continue to get used though until it's replacement in 2018 with a non-Apple device. :)

I just can’t handle a platform that tracks your location even when you turn it off (Android)

And the google home bug accidentally recording users 24/7 until they “found” and “fixed” it

So flagrantly dishonest and creepy

Who knows what else

Not necessarily that Apple is any better behind the scenes. I have a healthy dose of skepticism since they’re singular in their views of things but ..

I like to hope im at least slightly better off with iOS than Android when it comes to creepy excessive privacy invasions that are just the ultimate slap in the face to customers

Reactions: timeconsumer
Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.