Screw smartphone data plans required

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Anti-Lucifer, Aug 13, 2012.

1. Anti-Lucifer, Aug 13, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2012

Anti-Lucifer macrumors 6502a

Just letting you people know there is something called an option these days. I am with AT&T and I absolutely hate them for everything including ~37% taxes, outrageous data plans, and SMS packages that are just "pull your panties down, let me at it" sort of deals.

I own an SG2 and my contract is up so I am ridding that phone and NOT buying another iPhone period. I am sticking with a regular dumb phone and cutting SMS $30 family share as well. iMessaging is fantastic! 100MB videos can be sent from my laptop to any ios device and vice versa.

The idea is that I have tested this for 3 months and it is great so far. I am using my ipad 3 as my primary device. I don't care for SMS with anybody else except very close friends and family who also happen to own iOS devices. My family line is now down to $13.75 after taxes per line.

I carry the ipad with me everywhere I go and with just a smartcover on, it is quite amazing to handle. I have applecare+ insurance so that covers that end. I think everyone who is aching with phone bills should try this. I refused to upgrade to a galaxy note; why have 5.3" when you are really approaching a tablet form factor?

The ipad mini is very tempting if apple ever created one because that would basically fill the void between phone and tablet. I dont' want a small phone and if I wanted a larger display, it has to be at least 7"+

I'm so sick of paying contract data plans when now I can use wifi and use LTE when I feel like it plus the data on the iPad is TAX FREE. This is how I stick it up the aXX of AT&T.

PS I have also BLOCKED BOTH SMS and MMS on all my lines in the family share. It seems to not affect my wife's 4S from receiving facetime (over wifi). I love iMessaging.

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

This is something that I escape living in the UK...It simply sucks back home. I know I can walk away, I have no contract, and if my carrier doesn't come up to scratch, one call, and I'm good to go with a new sim, no worries. I'm coming home soon, and will be forced to choose my carrier at time of purchase...Lobbying for change may help, but I understand how you feel.

3. Anti-Lucifer thread starter macrumors 6502a

I just do not understand why the US has no control of these telelcom companies and their business practises. I am on iOS 6 beta 4 and yes, my facetime over 3G has been blocked as well. I am so sick of AT&T but what choices do I have really? Verizon is just as crappy - and sprint is slow (from many users complaints).

You must have a cell phone with you but who says it has to be some smartphone? I am very happy with iPad + dumb phone at the moment. Saving me thousands on my family share plan means I can sleep at night with my pants on.

What's very ludicrous is that owning and iphone, android, whatever touch screen smartphone is really going to cost you thousands of dollars a year (if you have family plan) - and it's crazy that your phone bill costs as much or more than home insurance. I don't think people see the ending costs after 2 years, it's really a lucrative business model for any telecom company.

4. Macman45, Aug 13, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2012

Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Their argument, which makes a little sense is that if it was a free for all, many areas, particularly in wilderness environments wouldn't get any coverage at all..I think it's a lame one, but you can see the fiinace side of it I guess. Without subsidy by the city folks, those living in rural areas would be left without any carrier at all. I still think it should be as it is here, but the UK is a tiny island, and home is big.

5. aristobrat macrumors G4

What does the tax rate have to do with the wireless carrier? They simply collect it on behalf of the governmental taxing authorities in your area that have imposed it upon you.

Is your tax really 37%?

Where I live, the tax on my Verizon cell phone bill (of $87.27/month) is 4%.

Oh, and then Verizon adds a separate line-item for "Verizon Wireless' Surcharges and Other Charges & Credits" that's 3%. That's something to complain about. AT&T doesn't do that.

Straight Talk has a $45/month plan that offers unlimited voice minutes + unlimited SMS + 2GB of data (across AT&T's network). Lots of happy posts from MacRumors folks using it.

6. Anti-Lucifer thread starter macrumors 6502a

The taxes is as follows:

$9.99 per line and the final costs come to $13.75 per line (this is after using dumb phones on the 4 lines) I have 5 lines, 4 lines are iphone's, one is my own SG2. I have gotten rid of 3 lines that have iPhone 4's, but my wife's is still on with the 4S (no contract however).

All 4 lines had data plan, with 4 iphones having data (unlimited). Our bill is easily over $300 a month.

7. aristobrat macrumors G4

So if you started with 5 lines, got rid of 3 lines, then you just have 2 lines?

Does that mean you have three family members (kids) with no phones now?

8. Anti-Lucifer thread starter macrumors 6502a

I have 5 lines all smartphones. 4 are iPhones. One is my sg2. I got rid of 4 smartphones and my wife still has her 4S no contract. I meant to say I got rid of the smartphones and got regular dumb phones with keypads. This is strictly to shove it up att's bung hole.

9. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

My wife has an iPhone 4. Her costs are about $7/month (or less) using T-Mobile 10c/minute plan with no data. WiFi is good enough for her but she can text for the cost of 1 of her 1000/minutes. I buy a $100 (1000min/texts) card for around $95 and the minutes/texts last her well over a year.

I have a Galaxy Nexus and am on the T-Mobile $30/month NO taxes/fees plan which is pseudo-unlimited data (5GB 4G, after that "2G), unlimited text & 100 voice minutes which is way more than enough for me. I regularly get 7-13MBps on this plan.

Even though I have a Verizon iPad I simply tether when data is needed to my GNEX and for my wife's iPhone on the rare time she just has to have data.

Point is there are cheaper way other than AT&T or VZW contract plans and not having a smartphone.

10. knucklehead macrumors 6502a

Thanks for bringing this up!

I already use T-Mobile prepaid (exactly the same as your wife uses, except with dumbphone), and AT&T data on my iPad. Along with GoogleVoice, I'm pretty happy with it. Now you have me looking at this plan mostly for the data tethering. From what I can see, it looks like they charge an extra $15 a month for data tethering -- up to $45 a month now. Plus I need to look into a phone that will allow data tethering -- don't know what $$ that would start at...

Any additional info on this would be appreciated. It's not looking quite as appealing as it first sounded.

11. MusicEnthusiast macrumors 6502

MusicEnthusiast

So you currently own a SG2, why not go for a prepaid cell carrier that utilizes the AT&T network?

I use Red Pocket Mobile, since I refuse to pay premiums for contract phone plans. It is significantly cheaper, and I use CallingMart to buy my monthly pin numbers tax-free (on their Facebook page, they have monthly 5% off discounts on top of this).

I own a Motorola Atrix 4G. Not the best phone out there, but with 250 MB of 4G and unlimited talk and text for $45, I couldn't be happier. They always come out with new plans, like the $55 1GB data plan they just added last month.

It'll save you some money if you stick to your phone and pop in a prepaid sim like Red Pocket. Buy a sim card from eBay for 99 cents, no need to buy one from the Red Pocket site for $20! :)

12. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

The T-Mo $30/mo plan I am referring to is on my G-Nexus. The VZW iPad allows tethering even on the $20/1GB prepaid plan. The Galaxy Nexus $30/mo plan works with tethering without issue but that may be because I have a custom ROM installed. That plan is available either online or at Walmart. It's the 4th one down this list: http://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/prepaid-plans. It's only good on NEW signups. You'd have to either take a new number or temporarily port or park your number elsewhere then port it back in to T-Mo.

13. cfs macrumors 6502a

I agree with you OP. Once I finished my contract wth Sprint I jumped ship and went to Virgin Mobile. Where I live in the northeast I get good service. I am very happy with my no contract $120.00 Android with a monthly price tag of $45 with taxes for 1200 anytime minutes and unlimited text and data.

A the moment I am also using a 4G Verizon iPad. I was looking into a less expensive substitute for a cell phone but I haven't found end for much cheaper than I have now.

14. B.A.T macrumors 6502a

OP if you want you can take the savings even further and ditch the dumb phone. Replace it with a google voice number and use your iPad as a phone conference call style.
    I did this for four months and loved it. However, my girlfriend didn't like the set up because I couldn't always answer while in the car, on my bike etc but it worked for me.
    Now I use Straight Talk, have ditched the data on the iPad for the time being and am paying $45 a month.

15. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

Congrats on coming up with a solution that works for you. Our bill is right at $160 for two iPhones and one dumb phone. Where I live wifi is basically non-exitent. I rely on data to much to give up my iPhone. It sucks as it looks to be getting even more expensive with share plans.

16. darngooddesign macrumors G3

I don't know why you're getting so pissed at AT&T. You knew exactly what they were going to charge when you sigend up, and if you didn't do your research that's your fault. If you were able to move away from them good for you, but don't act like you were wronged by the carrier.

17. aneftp macrumors 68040

Blame your state/local/city government for the vast majority of the cell phone taxes. This is reason why Landlines were too expensive. All those added fees cause government knew they were an easy cash cow. As people were ditching landlines, government lost those cash cow and started imposing more taxes on cell phones (which almost everyone has these days).

18. Anti-Lucifer thread starter macrumors 6502a

Come again? So I signed on expecting a telecom carrier to shaft me year after year? Lets see, removed unlimited data plans. Cap unlimited data plans. Charge $30 for family messaging plan. Ditch the low priced SMS plans. Charge for FaceTime over 3G. Create stupid shared data plans to confuse people that they are actually saving money. I did not sign on for these types of changes.

If you don't think USA phone carriers suck then you must have a lot of money to throw down the toilet.

Get off your high horse and come down to your senses.

19. fr33 loader macrumors regular

4 iPhones and 1 SG2.....

No business company owes anybody crap. They are there to make money and it's up to you if the services they offer are worth it for you.

Live within your means and your needs. If your fine with an iPad and dumb phones, then apparently, your living way above your needs. It's called luxuries for a reason and AT&T shouldn't be ponying up just for you to enjoy your toys. Don't buy a Ferrari and then complain how expensive the gas and maintenance for it.

People here hates business companies earn money except when there's an Apple logo involved.:rolleyes:

20. Anti-Lucifer thread starter macrumors 6502a

ludicrous. the dumbest response ever. I hope you got that money tree in the back yard to keep up with paying for stuff that's not worth the price (hence my idea to drop the contracted data plans).

21. darngooddesign, Aug 16, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2012

darngooddesign macrumors G3

No you voluntarily signed on for the terms of your contract.

They didn't shaft you. Had you asked, they would have told you exactly how much your charges would be and what you would be getting for your money. At that point you could have returned your iPhone(s) and found a cheaper deal elsewhere.

But bitching about high prices that you either voluntarily signed up for, or were too lazy to ask about is childish.

22. Anti-Lucifer thread starter macrumors 6502a

didn't you read my 1st post?:confused:

23. darngooddesign macrumors G3

I did.

Your entire thread has the feel of ATT was robbing me blind. My point was that you knew, or should have found out, how much ATT was going to charge you for the services. If you feel that ATT shafted you year after year, that's fine, but you absolutely did sign on for that. No one forced you into that deal.

Its great to cut costs and if that combo works for you then its even better. But no one that voluntarily signs a contract has any business being outraged over how much a carrier charges them.

24. Anti-Lucifer thread starter macrumors 6502a

don't get your panties in a bunch...

I said there is an option - that is to rid your smartphone and go with a dumbphone and use an ipad. I did it just fine and am happy to save tons of money. Never once did I force this down any one's throat nor did I say this was the ultimate deal.

AT&T, Verizon, they are all pieces of dung. If you enjoy being stuffed by AT&T, continue on i won't interrupt. I knew how much it was before but with all these price increases, bs data capping, sharing plans being stuffed down your pants, it's not worth it.

It's pure mathematics my friend - cut back and save. I am happy to go with my iPad as my main source of PDA and i will not spend another dime on a smartphone. That's just my prerogative.

No offense to anyone who needs a smartphone; your needs differ of course.

25. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I would not want to carry around an iPad every where I go. It is simply too big and cumbersome. But if it works for you OP, great.