Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
Some of you are missing the OP's point. AT&T always offered reduced cost early upgrades to those of us spending a lot each month ($300+). That was a main selling point that kept me with AT&T. They apparently changed this policy without telling us.

That's reason to be ticked off. That said, I won't switch. VZW is no better on this subject, and I can't talk & surf at the same time.

Up until this year, I always got the same early upgrade as everyone else. My bill is just about $80 a month and always has been. It's not about how much you are spending a month- you owe them that money anyway for the service they provide.

Don't get me wrong, it's a bummer they don't offer the upgrades anymore, I agree with that much. But all these people feel like they are owed an upgrade every year even though they are signing two year contracts. It makes no sense. This was never a policy, it was never advertised or written anywhere for customers to see. It simply just was how they were doing things. Now they're not. Again I must point out the insane advantages of buying an unlocked phone.

erzeszut

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2007
If it's not in the contract, AT&T is free to discontinue it at anytime and has no obligation to inform anyone. The fact that they offered the benefit for many years when they weren't required to doesn't seem to have bought them any loyalty so I'm not surprised that they stopped offering it. When you sign a 2 year contract and they let you upgrade early, it's a nice gift, not a contractual obligation.

True. ATT is perfectly within their rights to do this. What frustrates me is their inconsistency in applying this policy. If people on this forum (and other forums) are to be believed, some AT&T 4S users are being allowed the subsidized pricing at launch. Others, if they call and make enough noise to the right rep on the phone, are getting some sort of credit on their bill to offset the early upgrade fee. I've seen people claim they are getting $150, $180, even the full $250. Now, lots of people lie in the Internet. But are all those people lying? Hard to believe.

Meanwhile, other 4S users, myself included, can get no satisfaction when we call AT&T multiple times. Today, I even got a snotty "why do you even really need to upgrade" attitude from one of the reps.

So for me, it's more the way the policy is being applied, rather than the policy itself, that pi$$es me off. If some people are getting exceptions, I want one too. Or at least I want a clear explanation as to why people are getting the policy waived, with clear criteria that are fairly applied. I don't think that's too much to ask.

Verizon is at least consistent, it seems. Is anyone at Vzw getting exceptions?

Now, I still think this is a poor policy for AT&T. They no longer have iPhone exclusivity, and it's generally accepted that Verizon has the higher-quality network in most of the US. Verizon offers 4G LTE in my city, for example -- the only carrier that does. So if AT&T chases me to another carrier, practically encouraging it as one rep did today, I'm probably never coming back. Because I'll probably realize just how crummy att's network is once I try the alternative

brianbunge

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2011
Kennesaw, GA
False...just confirmed with ATT

----------

The issue is not the contract...I understand I signed a 2 year contract. The issue is that AT&T silently (or maybe I just didn't listen hard enough) updated a policy to remove benefits (or exceptions) that it allowed higher revenue customers.

It was a business decsion that they will have to live with and of course, I have to live with.

Thanks for all of the positive responses!

Actually, it's not false. My line was eligible every year as the primary line. I upgraded my line in May of last year for an iPhone 4. My line is now not eligible until December of this year. So the policy did not change 6 months ago. And I'm also a sales rep for AT&T, so in this particular instance, I know what I'm talking about.

Scott6666

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2008
Just checked my upgrade status and I'm in the same boat. Oh well. Guess I don't have to give Apple my money every year.

I do remember on the 4S being able to upgrade early and was a bit surprised and did so. I would have liked having the same option now but I'm only slightly disappointed.

Actually given May I might just wait the extra 6 months until iPhone 5S/6. Save myself $400 this year. I'd be good for me. Guess it's not good for Apple though. Will suppress sales somewhat. And given the pressure from Samsung it would be in Apple's interests (stock price wise) to get all of us who would upgrade to do so.

This might have a larger effect on Apple sales given that last year all the 3GS/4 owner's were to be able to upgrade but now only half of the 4/4S owners can. I would think it would behoove Apple to deal with ATT to try to get all of us to upgrade on a yearly cycle rather than a bi-yearly cycle.

The other good news then is I don't have wake up at 3am this morning to hit the first day ordering cycle.

takasugi

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2012
Just checked my upgrade status and I'm in the same boat. Oh well. Guess I don't have to give Apple my money every year.

I do remember on the 4S being able to upgrade early and was a bit surprised and did so. I would have liked having the same option now but I'm only slightly disappointed.

Actually given May I might just wait the extra 6 months until iPhone 5S/6. Save myself $400 this year. I'd be good for me. Guess it's not good for Apple though. Will suppress sales somewhat. And given the pressure from Samsung it would be in Apple's interests (stock price wise) to get all of us who would upgrade to do so.

This might have a larger effect on Apple sales given that last year all the 3GS/4 owner's were to be able to upgrade but now only half of the 4/4S owners can. I would think it would behoove Apple to deal with ATT to try to get all of us to upgrade on a yearly cycle rather than a bi-yearly cycle.

The other good news then is I don't have wake up at 3am this morning to hit the first day ordering cycle.

You sound like a rationale responsible non-entitled person who doesn't think the world (or at least AT&T) owes him something for fulfilling his obligations. Are you sure you are in the right place ;)

Oppressed

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2010
If someone could clarify for me some things. If I go through the upgrade eligibility status page on Apple and it says that I can currently get the iPhone 4S 16 GB for $449 that should mean I can get the iPhone 5 for the same price which is the early upgrade cost? $199 + $250? Meanwhile this thing normally goes for $649?

brianbunge

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2011
Kennesaw, GA
If someone could clarify for me some things. If I go through the upgrade eligibility status page on Apple and it says that I can currently get the iPhone 4S 16 GB for $449 that should mean I can get the iPhone 5 for the same price which is the early upgrade cost? $199 + $250? Meanwhile this thing normally goes for $649?

Correct.

erzeszut

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2007
FWIW, I just called AT&T for the fourth time today. I wouldn't have kept after them, except for the multiple reports on this forum of 4S customers getting bill credits to partially (or completely) offset the early upgrade fee.

Lo and behold, without any difficulties, the rep offered me a $100 credit right off the bat. I asked for $150, and had to convince him a bit. Eventually, he put me on hold for 10 minutes to "talk to a manager" (probably went for a cup of coffee and a cigarette) but when he came back, I got my $150.

So, with selling my 32GB 4S to Gazelle for $280, my net cost will be either $155 (32GB) or $255 (64GB). Haven't decided on capacity yet. Not great as past years, but not bad either. I'm satisfied.

GravityEyes

macrumors regular
Aug 14, 2007
Nashville, TN
Relax...

Wow, even though I completely understand the frustration of the OP (I have also bought every iphone, on release day) I understand that AT&T is in the business of making money, not losing it. Fine, I'll pay more - my axe to grind is over the FaceTime 3g policy.

What I don't understand is the elitist, pretentious (d-bag) replies to the OP. This forum used to be a great resource. However it is now so tedious sifting through the wise-ass replies.

As they use to say in my old neighborhood, "Some of y'all need to get laid!"
:cool:

BigSky20

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 26, 2007

This is exactly how I feel at this point....you have to look at the upside of things! Well said!

Maverick713

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2009
Houston, TX
False...just confirmed with ATT

----------

The issue is not the contract...I understand I signed a 2 year contract. The issue is that AT&T silently (or maybe I just didn't listen hard enough) updated a policy to remove benefits (or exceptions) that it allowed higher revenue customers.

It was a business decsion that they will have to live with and of course, I have to live with.

Thanks for all of the positive responses!
i'm going with you didn't listen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.