Screwed up installing Windoze... :( Help!

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by cprevost, Aug 30, 2013.

1. cprevost macrumors newbie

Well, I just got a new imac 21 inch. It's the latest model running 10.8. Wanted to install Windows 8 so our teenager can play his shootum up games. Bought a Windows 8 install over amazon. Came in DVD format. Doh! no DVD drive on the imac. Solved it by creating an ISO file from the DVD and putting it on an external hard drive.
    Ran bootcamp. Everyting going well. i hit a snag point where it gave me a message that the partition I was trying to install to wasn't formatted correctly. It asked if I wanted to format it. I picked the 50 gig bootcamp partition and said go ahead. This worked and windows installed just fine. The machine rebooted and then restarted in windows.

Now I can't get back to OSX no matter what I try. Already tried
    Option key on startup.
    Resetting pram
    Creating a bootable install disk and restarting with the C key.
    Shift key on startup.
    No matter what I do the computer will simply just startup in Windows.

I'd like to be able to just start from scratch since I haven't used the machine at all but it won't even recognize the install disk I made on a hard drive. At a loss here as to how to proceed?

2. elithrar macrumors 6502

elithrar

Does your OS X partition (typically "Macintosh HD") show up in My Computer on the Bootcamp/Windows side?

3. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Can you boot from the "Recovery Partition"?

Try to startup with COMMAND - R pressed.

4. cprevost thread starter macrumors newbie

Solved!

What a head scratcher. Turns out it was the bluetooth keyboard. It was connecting too late and not registering my key presses. Plugged in a usb keyboard and everything is fine. Wondering if I'll have to ditch the bluetooth keyboard in order to boot between systems?

5. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Good to know you figured out what was your issue.

But, a BT Keyboard (BT Apple Keyboard....) should work when you want to choose the Boot system, and even do the Single User etc.

The EFI should interact perfectly with BT keyboards.

6. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Yup, I came in to state, that one of the downfalls of Bluetooth keyboards are their connectivity.

7. scuba156 macrumors newbie

Install the bootcamp software in windows and you can reboot directly to OS X, no need to use the option key at boot.

8. rabidz7 macrumors 65816

rabidz7

If you install rEFInd you have 20sec for the keyboard to connect, you can also monkey around in EFI.