Screwed Up New 2010 MacBook Pro Screen!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by modit, Mar 15, 2011.

1. modit, Mar 15, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2011

modit macrumors 6502

What the hell? Take a look at this!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Normal background "See The World"
    [​IMG]

Messed up screen where I can see something :rolleyes:
    [Click image for full display]
    [​IMG]

This is my new week old MacBook Pro! I sent back a second MBP with the same problem (Apple shipped me 2 laptops) but didn't think about it too much until it happened to mine :(:(:(

I did a cold boot and it went away but I need to know if my laptop using Safari will not leave frozen images on my screen in the future.

2. dslade09 macrumors member

Take a screenshot (command+shift+3) to make sure its a hardware problem and not a software glitch. Then from there I would take it into the Apple store

3. modit thread starter macrumors 6502

I used the OSX app "Grab" to take a screenshot which produced this:

[​IMG]

Is it the same as a using command+shift+3?

:confused:

4. Juanto macrumors newbie

Take a screenshot and try and upload it somewhere. It'll let us know if it's a GPU or software issue.

5. modit thread starter macrumors 6502

Well it's gone now...I guess if it comes back, I'll take a "command+shift+3" screenshot and post an update :(

6. Dalton63841 macrumors 65816

Dalton63841

When I was using Lion I noticed this kinda thing would show up for about a second when opening new tabs or going to the Top Sites page on Safari.

7. Jmouse macrumors 6502

What happen with the 2011 mbp screen? ive seen a few thread regarding this.

Does anyone have this problems with their 2010 mbp?

8. dslade09 macrumors member

this is what Command+shift+3 gives you. If the glitches show up on the screenshot it is most likely a software problem. Just attach the picture using MacRumors. the (little paperclip)

Attached Files:

9. Jmouse macrumors 6502

How to determine whether is Software or Hardware issue?

10. dslade09 macrumors member

If you ever have screen problems to my understanding is a way to figure out the problem is to try to eliminate all possible factors. For this one if the glitches show up on the screen shot it has to be something (software) related or video card related (hardware). if it dose not show up on the screenshot but only with a camera then it is a physical problem (hardware). Then last it could be the video card causing it to form the glitches. one of three things. at least that is how i would try to figure out the problem. I would try other applications to see if it shows up. that would narrow down if it is software problem.

11. Queen of Spades macrumors 68030

Queen of Spades

No, it's not. I had the same issue, and as you can tell from the screenshots, it's software based, not a hardware failure. The dock is fine in all of the screenshots. Basically the Genius saw that it was some kind of error in the console, but essentially sent me home to do an archive and install.

OP, don't waste your time going to the Genius Bar until you do an archive and install. That seemed to work for me, as it doesn't happen anymore.

12. RedReplicant macrumors 6502a

I've never seen that widespread video corruption without a failed gpu or significant overheating, but you're probably right.

13. MadMac84 macrumors member

I agree, its probably not the hardware. Just reinstall Safari and you should be fine.

14. adrian1480 macrumors 6502

yea, download Fireforx or Chrome and see if it persists.

if not, I'd recommend format and reinstall of OS X.

15. onyx08 macrumors newbie

This also happened to me 2 hours after I bought my mac. Can you give more information on how you encountered this problem? I want to recreate the problem so I can get a screenshot too.

When this happened to me, I just left my laptop on with two browsers open and when I came back 30 minutes later, the screen is like those on your screenshots.

By the way, my mbp is the 2011 mbp 13 (i5). My 2009 MBP 13" didn't have this problem

16. hsenor macrumors newbie

Switch

I used to have this problem all the time when I used Safari, but then I switched to Chrome.

17. modit thread starter macrumors 6502

:eek: Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!

Safari in OSX won't work all in your case? I find that hard to believe or I don't want to believe my 2 grand valued Mac will not work flawlessly :(:(:(

18. Ohmsford macrumors newbie

To the OP, you sir are not alone. I have the exact same issue, but mine only pops up once a week or so, if you disable the automatic graphics switching, it will stop (the problem is with the intel chip, intel drivers, flash drivers with the intel chip, or something related to that chip). If you can get it to fail at a genius bar and get a brand new one, do it, i'm struggling with service guys who can't recreate the problem.

Check out these other threads.
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=959979
    http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2587510&tstart=0

I am currently running a few memory diagnostics as I believe I may also have a bad stick of ram. This could be related, or possibly not, but my problem has escalated to the point that I get kernel panics when I get that video error. Apple hardware test says my ram is fine, but Memtest86 gets all sorts of errors. I'm going to be trying TechTools Pro v5 here tonight (purchased with the macupdate, woot woot) and we will see what that says about my ram.

Good luck, keep us posted as we're all in this together.

Also, if you want to avoid the problem (not what I would suggest) you can install a program called gfxcardstatus that allows you to manually switch between the intel and nvidia. What you'll find is that when the error occurs, if you switch to the nvidia chip, it goes away. If you have this installed though and go to an apple service centre, they will blame the program 99% of the time.

19. /user/me macrumors 6502

I'm gonna call magic on this one, cause I don't believe that an app that :apple: makes wouldn't work with the OS that :apple: makes.

20. modit, Mar 19, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2011

modit thread starter macrumors 6502

Well It Happened Again...

I took a screenshot using "Command+Shift+3" and here is what I got.

So what should be my next step? I really don't want to take a day trip to visit my nearest Apple store 100 KM (60 Miles) away :(

EDIT: It looks like a black screenshot but it was coloured and scrambled differently every time I opened it on my Computer (like my previous screen grab using "Grab". Also, the "Grab" application quits for no reason right now. Last time, Adobe Flash had a warning saying it quit unexpectedly too.

:mad:

Will Apple replace my refurbished MacBook Pro?

*Dreaming...Maybe I could score a new 2012 Liquid Metal SSD MacBook Pro...:)*

Attached Files:

21. Queen of Spades macrumors 68030

Queen of Spades

1. No, they aren't giving you a new MacBook Pro. It's a software problem.

2. As I said, this same exact thing happened to me - I went to the Genius Bar with pics, video, and screenshots (black like yours), and they found the errors in my console. They tried a few different things and suggested an archive and install. Since I knew how to do that, I went home to do it myself. That solved my problem. Try that, and if it still doesn't work, you may have to hit the Genius Bar. They told me if that didn't work to come back, but it was definitely, 100% a software problem. It's not hardware.

22. modit thread starter macrumors 6502

OK then...any links for a "archive and install" walkthrough?

Thanks!

23. Queen of Spades macrumors 68030

Queen of Spades

24. Arthur Young macrumors newbie

I had this exact problem with my macbook air, it was gone after i reinstalled OSX. it happens whenever i started a new tab.