Scripts and cookies required to access MR

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by VulchR, Aug 8, 2013.

1. VulchR, Aug 8, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2013

VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

I logged on a few days ago and the menu that indicates when one has been quoted appeared to be missing. I couldn't figure out why, and then I noticed through NoScript that I had to enable scripting through ajax.googleapis.com, which appears to have been a change within the last few weeks. I'd just like to feedback to those in charge of MR that I am not particularly happy being tracked by Google. Indeed, this is one the reasons I prefer iOS than Android (just a personal opinion, let us not debate about it).

Anybody else have an opinion?

2. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

We changed it because Google does a better job keeping their javascript libraries up to date than vBulletin. There was an exploit a while ago that used an outdated YUI javascript pacakge in vBulletin.

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/foru...0156-vbulletin-security-patch-for-4-x-and-3-x

This didn't affect us, since we were on a different version, but it seemed prudent to link to Google's YUI, so we could keep up. We could link to Yahoo's. Eitherway, it seems like it's a static resources that's not setting cookies and tracking you (at the moment).

arn

3. VulchR thread starter macrumors 68020

VulchR

Thank you for the clarification.