Scrolling in Lion is so slow!

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by MacRuler, Jul 23, 2011.

1. MacRuler macrumors 6502

Scrolling up and down in safari, iTunes or whatever is so slow. is there a way to speed it up?!

2. runebinder macrumors 6502a

runebinder

What are you using, mouse or trackpad? Scrolling is just as quick in Lion for me as it was in SL using my Trackpad.

Can't see any scrolling speed options for the trackpad in system preferences, but if you're using a mouse there may be an option in there.

3. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

4. MacRuler thread starter macrumors 6502

in snow leopard there was a option to increase the speed. i had it increased to the fastest speed. and now there isn't an option .. which makes it slow according to what I'm used to.

5. Brianji macrumors newbie

I faced the same problem, and it was solved after restarted the Mac.

6. XandeR803 macrumors member

The options for scrolling speed are in System Preferences -> Universal Access -> Trackpad options

7. jpw macrumors newbie

I had the same issue and was using the "blur" background in terminal. When I disable the background blurring the scrolling speed went back to normal.

to be clear the scrolling was laggy everywhere but the background blur was only set as a preference for terminal app.

8. handel30 macrumors member

I'm using Lion on a month-old white Macbook and scrolling is super fast. No complaints.

9. ideal.dreams macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

The scrolling on my MacBook Pro is fine...how old is your Mac?

10. gentlefury macrumors 68030

Works great here...using Magic Mouse, Mighty Mouse and Magic Trackpad....so I got the scope covered and all work brilliantly.

11. nutso12 macrumors newbie

Scrolling is sluggish and not smooth in almost every application most of the time on my 2011 MacBook pro, 2.3ghz i5 with 8gb ram.

12. The Beatles macrumors regular

I think what the original poster meant, or at least what i'm noticing is that I can be scrolling,

and now its even happening as i type this post. I'll be scrolling or typing and all the sudden its like the scrolling or typing is interrupted and things just hang for a second, then it comes back.

I really hope this is fixed. Its almost like the experience when your running a 3G phone with iOS4 and the system all the sudden gets unresponsive. Typeing this post its happened about ten times.

Any ideas of what it could be?

13. skealoha86, Jul 31, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2011

skealoha86 macrumors newbie

+1, I'm experiencing this as well on my late 2007 2.4ghz C2D MBP (MacBook Pro 3,1). There was no scrolling lag in Snow Leopard, but a change to scrolling behavior in Lion causes jittery scrolling for me in every application.

I'd be interested in a terminal fix if one exists... there must be some way to switch the scrolling animation back to its state in SL...

EDIT: I'm now using Chrome 14 Dev and the scrolling behavior isn't nearly as bad, so I'm inclined to agree with The Beatles... I think this is probably Safari 5.1 misbehaving

14. The Beatles macrumors regular

you know what, i just looked at the activity monitor and it said safari was using over 4 gigs. The process was called something like "Safari Content". I killed the process and I'm now typing this posts with no interruptions. The last post safari was constantly interrupting my typing with pauses. The scrolling is more responsive too.

One thing I'm still noticing though is that if i load a webpage, and try to scroll while its finishing loading the page (even though content is mostly already displayed on the page) the scrolling will stutter, jump, freeze or jitter.

my internet connection is pretty good to. I can download an iTunes movie in probably twenty minutes or more.

the scrolling seems to be affected by safari loading the webpage. So safari is taking longer to load pages, or safaris taking the same time but now it won't scroll smoothly until the loading (URL bar) is completely finished.

15. alandlc macrumors newbie

Scrolling for me was pretty bad, but it was mainly because Safari kept freezing up for brief moments. I restarted my MBP, and the freezing up doesn't happen in the same manner. I still get the spinning beach ball every once in awhile for no reason, but rarely.

16. Adrian232 macrumors newbie

You hit the nail on the head with this. I am having the same issue. I don't remember it being that slow on snow leopard. It's mainly safari that has the problem, but I do notice it in other apps, too. Maybe Lion is putting a lower priority on the scrolling UI process than they used to. I liked when it was smoother, it made me feel more in control.

17. denture14 macrumors newbie

Jittery

I have the new MacBook Air 13" running the dual-core i5s and I'm finding that for certain applications (safari, the app store, and a couple more) scrolling is not completely smooth. I tried to eliminate the "Safari web content" process and that only made the problem worse. It seems to be an issue on more busy websites: tumblr, Facebook. However, after letting the website load completely its still really jittery. This forum thread, however, is completely smooth.

Any suggestions?

18. Adrian232 macrumors newbie

Different websites seem to load more memory, and that's where the problem appears to lie. I find that scrolling is much smoother with fewer tabs open. Also, if I quit Safari and re-open it, it seems to run smoother for a while.

A website that loads Flash is the worst. But for that, there's the click to flash extension. Try installing that and see if websites scroll smoother.

19. Gemütlichkeit macrumors 65816

Gemütlichkeit

20. denture14 macrumors newbie

Issues

I installed that plugin but its still really annoying. Jittery and jumpy. Any advice?

21. starlir macrumors newbie

I have this problem (early 2011 Macbook Pro 17" with 8GB RAM) and killing the Safari WebContent process (it was intermittently using more than 50% cpu) results in smooth scrolling. The process is automatically reloaded and then uses far less cpu, for a while at least. I think this is some kind of memory leak or mis controlled spawning of threads over time. I would hope this is easy for Apple to fix at the next release.

22. denture14 macrumors newbie

Fixed!

Well, I went to the Apple store and got them to reinstall Lion for me. Now the scrolling is fluid and the computer works beautifully.

23. denture14 macrumors newbie

Scratch that

Well, scratch that. About 6 hours later, the jitteriness started again. I'm formatting and starting from scratch.

24. The Beatles macrumors regular

Will you keep us up to date? I really don't want to reformat and install from scratch.

Good luck.

25. RWil85 macrumors 6502

FWIW - have Lion installed on a 13" MBP and have never experienced anything of the like.