sd card - 13" and 11" owners weigh in

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by nashville man, Jan 15, 2012.

1. nashville man macrumors newbie

How many 13" Air owners frequently use their SD card slot? And for what??? photos, music, additional storage, file transfers??? Speak up...

And you 11" Air owners...how many of you have bought and used a Usb SD card reader for you 11" Air...how often? Did you truly miss having the SD card slot on board you Air 11"??

What say all you 13 and 11 Air owners??

2. mpaquette macrumors regular

I use it on my wife's 13" whenever she needs to transfer photos from her camera.

3. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

I have the 13"
    I honestly wondering how much I use it.
    I mean i use it just for photo transfer.
    I guess I would be fine with an external.

4. deepakvrao macrumors regular

Have the 13 and use it a lot, both for pics as well as sometimes for just taking some data. Having said that, you get those small USB thingies which take a SD card, so it would not be a deal breaker for me.

5. jterp7 macrumors 6502a

i hope you're not using this aspect to decide between the 13 and the 11. I've used it a few times but since most of us at this point have at least the usb adapter it's not a deal breaker either way.

On media I haven't transferred the bulk of my movies and music over since it currently occupies most of my 2x 1TB's on my pc right now...but I probably wouldn't keep them on an SD card. They'd need to be at least 64gb to be even worth considering using permanently

6. Stingray454 macrumors 6502a

I've got an 11" 2010, and bought a separate USB reader (really small and cheap, like $10). Only use it on our stays at the summerhouse when my girlfriend likes to take lots of photos and share online.

As the computer is more or less stationary on our visits there, I can't say I miss the SD port - the USB adapter works just as well. If you are traveling a lot and want to quickly import some images I guess it would be more of a hassle to use the USB reader instead of a built in one (separate gadgets in your bag to connect, takes up a bit more space, maybe not as fast and so on), but for me personally it's a non-issue.

7. jonomo macrumors regular

An SD card slot on the 11 would be nice... I'd use it for extra storage of movies and stuff when I travel.. however, I do have I concern with it.. and that is when you stick in an SD card, it does not go flush into the Air.. which means everytime you pack up the Air you to unmount and remove the SD card... annoying.. i was quite excited with the idea of having a 64gig hard in there full time for extra space... i figure Apple probably didn't want people to do that...

8. robvas macrumors 68020

I never use my digital camera anymore (I just use my phone) so I don't have any use for the SD card slot. You could get those SD cards that work over WiFi...

9. crobbins macrumors 6502

I use mine a fair amount..it is honestly one of the only reasons I ended up going with the 13inch. I didn't really want to deal with losing a USB port to an SD card reader

10. rebby macrumors 6502

I seldom use an SD card so, in a way, I'm glad that it's not there. Unless new (pro body) cameras make a sudden change to SD, I'm going to continue to need a CF reader anyway. So, in my case, the loss of the SD reader in the 11" is no big deal.

11. lolwut89 macrumors member

I think it's convenient. But remember basically any camera you have that uses an SD card can double up as a reader.

Aside from an SD card, I would say everyone should get the 13" MBA.

12. Surely Guest

Surely

I wouldn't.

I don't miss the SD card slot that I had on my MBP or my Mini. I find that it takes just about the same amount of effort to connect my camera to my MBA with the USB cable as it did to open the camera up, pop out the SD card, and stick it in the SD card slot.

13. cjgonzales1900 macrumors regular

I actually use mine a lot. I work for a Phone Repair store, so I use it for all the android phones, also me and my boss both have airs so we transfer files with Micro SDs (With the adapter of course) because we have lots of them laying around because of all the phones lol

14. GekkePrutser macrumors 6502a

GekkePrutser

I have an 11" and I never EVER miss it. Really. If I ever need to import photos on the road I just hook up my camera to the computer.

If I had the 13" I would much rather have something else in its place, such as another USB port or even a kensington lock slot.

15. kzrconf macrumors newbie

My Nikon D40X is very energy-efficient for normal operation, but one thing that will drain its battery very quickly is if I forget it plugged in with USB. That's why an SD reader is much more practical overall.

16. YosemiteSam81 macrumors member

YosemiteSam81

I have the 13" and have used the SD reader a sum total of 0 times. I only take photos with my iPhone so havent' found a use for it. That being said, I still like having the option. You never know!

17. colourfastt macrumors 6502a

colourfastt

I have a Rev. C MBA so it doesn't come with an SD reader and frankly I don't miss it a bit. (The original Airs only came with 1 USB slot, 1 MDP, and an audio in/out port hidden in a clamshell.)

18. Xikum macrumors 6502

I have a 13" Air and I've never used the SD card, ever. The reason I picked it over the 11" is purely because of screen real estate and battery life.

19. psxguru macrumors 6502a

20. doktordoris macrumors 6502a

doktordoris

Real men who own 11" MBAs put their SD cards in their iMacs ;-)

21. eric/ Guest

eric/

22. BadaBing!! macrumors 6502

BadaBing!!

Never used it but didn't buy the 13in for it... I chose it for screen resolution, battery life.

23. Richie79 macrumors newbie

I use it in combination with my Canon DSLR camera to transfer the pictures.

24. gentlefury macrumors 68030

I got my gf an 11" and of course she complained about it missing the SD card slot.....I just said....well, plug the camera into the usb plug...its exactly the same thing!!!

25. LordVic macrumors 68040

Don't use it. Don't need it.

my camera uses Compact Flash. There's no compact flash slots on most laptops these days. So i didn't lose out by going 11" withou the SD slot.

in fact, the only device i have now iwth SD in it, is my Blackberry. and I just plug that in