SD reader flush solution?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Finskmann, Oct 30, 2010.

1. Finskmann macrumors newbie

As I want to have the SD card installed permanently for storage of audio files, documents and other files that doesn't need a lot of read/write speed I found a possible solution.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.5091

Found the link to this product on a forum discussing the same problem of the SD card sticking out of a windows computer and it was suggested to cut away the USB-part and using a microSDHC card.

If you look at the measures the cardreader/converter is about the same size as a standard SD card, so removing the USB part would make it flush with the Air making it unnoticeable?

Is there any reason why this won't work?

2. technopimp macrumors 6502a

I'm confused...you said you want an SD card installed permanently, but you want it to be flush. The product you showed is the same size as an SD card, so what would you be gaining? Maybe I'm missing something?

3. re2st macrumors regular

Interesting. It's gonna be a bitch to take out though.. :p

4. Finskmann thread starter macrumors newbie

Its the same size as an SD card until you cut away the USB part. Based on the picture it looks like the USB part is about 1cm/0.4inches. Could anyone with a macbook air pleas measure how much a standard SD card sticks out of their machine? With some sandpaper its probably possible to sand off a bit more too

5. snorkelman macrumors 6502a

snorkelman

what he said - a lot of machines that use protruding SD card design don't bother making the port spring loaded as you can grip it by hand to remove it.

If there's no spring loading and you succeed in making it flush you'll have no method short of tweezers to get it back out.

6. Finskmann thread starter macrumors newbie

Shouldnt be a problem to sandpaper down the thickness at the end so it would be easy to take out with a tweezer. The SD-card reader is useless for me, except for permanent storage so I think i'll order that adapter from DE and try it out with a Micro SD-card from my old HTC D2.

I'm just wondering about two things:

1. Is there any difference between SD and SDHC (and SD micro/SDHC micro) in terms off design or will the adapter handle both?

2. Could this little project somehow harm the entire air (short circuit?) or just the SD-reader (if anything)

7. technopimp macrumors 6502a

I still don't get it...the USB port is on the side of the SD "Card"...so by cutting it off you're still essentially left with a normal-sized SD card. Why not just use one of those in the first place? Seems like a lot of trouble for no benefit...

8. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

Just a guess, but if the card is a "double ender," meaning that both the USB interface and the SD interface both work with the same TF card, I'm betting there is some circuitry between those two connectors. So just hacking off one side of it isn't a guarantee the other side will still continue to function.

But it's like $4....why not try it and see?

9. idonotliketostu macrumors 6502

Use a microcro sd.

You can shorten the pins from an adapter and solder in the micros sd and modify the adapter's housing so it's flush.

[​IMG]

10. Finskmann thread starter macrumors newbie

11. goodtimes5 macrumors 6502a

goodtimes5

Are you going to be using class 2 for your SD cards?

12. re2st macrumors regular

13. deeddawg macrumors 604

It's not on the side, it's on the end that would be to the outside if you've inserted the SD card shaped end.

14. Finskmann thread starter macrumors newbie

15. GodlessGeek macrumors newbie

16. GodlessGeek macrumors newbie

Here is what it looks like.

Attached Files:

17. re2st macrumors regular

Very nice! Well, except that it's still not flush..

18. GodlessGeek macrumors newbie

I agree that flush would be better, but it is the best I've found so far. If anyone knows of lower profile memory cards or MicroSD readers please let me know.

19. thefreds macrumors newbie

Digging up an old thread, I know

So did anyone find a solution to the flush problem? I'd like to increase the storage of my macbook air, and has hoping the SD Card slot would be an option.

Thanks

20. LeakedDave macrumors regular

I also would like to see a solution. I ripped open a micro SD to SD converter and it seems like a mod is possible.

I'm thinking of opening it, then bending the connectors back and putting the micro SD card in backwards, reducing the size by half. Then repackage it, and plug it deep in and cross fingers. Could use an extra 32 gigs... flush.

21. LeakedDave macrumors regular

22. jomo25 macrumors regular

http://www.amazon.com/SIIG-JU-MR0612-S1-Ultra-microSD-Reader/dp/B0032ANCIC
    I have this. Works great. Had it for 6 months now, no problems. Not sure why the Amazon reviews had so many issues. I'm running a 32GB Class 10 USB MicroSD thru it now and have it plugged in constantly in my 11" MBA. It's not flush, but its secure and quite small. Still fits in most sleeves with it in (esp. the neoprene ones) and is much less prone to damage (to it or the port).

23. technopimp macrumors 6502a

How are the speeds?

24. LeakedDave macrumors regular

25. LeakedDave macrumors regular

Just to let everyone here know, the Norcent works and fits perfectly after cutting the USB half off. WOOT. Now to test an SDHC.

2GB Micro SD works good.