SDK, Already over it!!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ben5959, Jan 23, 2008.

1. ben5959 macrumors regular

Obviously I know that the SDK isn’t even released yet, but I don’t think too much will change when it is. With the release of the last update, the web apps and Iphone formatted web pages act much like native apps. Many even have the cool icons or if a site doesn’t, you can make your own icon. That being said I realize there is a lag time caused by accessing internet using edge, but most formatted sites load REALLY quickly. There are already so many apps, sites and games out there that are free to use, and they essentially are now nativeseque. I don’t think people will be inclined to PAY to get the same types of games and apps as are basically already available for free. They would have to be some pretty freaking awesome apps. I have 4 home screens full of awesome apps and sites with great icons and can’t think of much more that I would seriously use, aside from MMS, video record, and flash support, but these could all theoretically be added in a firmware update. I think that many of the games out there now suck and I could see a market for native games. I may be way off base here, but I was curious as to what others thought.....

2. James L macrumors 6502a

I respectfully disagree completely. First off, you are neglecting to think of the iPod Touch market, which is easily going to eclipse the iPhone market in size (if it hasn't already). What did the last quarterly report say? 2 million iPhones sold. 22 million iPods sold. You can bet that a large % of those iPods were touches. The iPhone is currently available in 4 or 5 countries... the Touch worldwide.

Touch users are looking for real apps, not websites with links on the desktop that are only accessible when near a wifi spot. Touch users are looking for apps they can use anywhere. This means native applications not dependent on online access.

On the same note, you don't really have 4 pages of awesome apps. You have 4 pages of websites that are bookmarked on your desktop. If you are in an area with no cell or wifi support you don't have access to any of them. For people that travel often this is a real possibility.

Finally, there is a large group of professionals waiting for apps such as ePocrates to utilize in their work. Having these apps available for the Touch/iPhone market is eagerly anticipated.

3. marykay9507 macrumors 6502a

marykay9507

wow-- over it and it isn't out yet??? give it a chance!

4. iStefmac macrumors regular

How about.....no. Absolutely 100% nope.

5. hotsauce macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Apple Communication Device: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

NO NATIVE APPS FOR YOU!

6. Sobe macrumors 68000

Sobe

I'd pay a pretty decent chunk of change for a native app running an iChat or Trillian type of IM'ing client.

How much? hmmm I'd probably go as high as $75-100 if it was really well done.

I IM all the time and having a non web app for it is worth a lot of money to me.

I'd also pay to have some sort of app that allowed for printing to a wireless network from the iPhone.

With google docs and email attachments of PDFs that would be worth a lot of cash to me as well.

7. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I agree completely. I would much rather have native apps instead of web apps on my iPhone.

8. chr1s60 macrumors 68000

chr1s60

I do agree with you that the iPod touch market will surpass the iPhone market, but I disagree with you after that. While the iPod touch is available worldwide and the iPhone only in 5 countries, there is more to look at. I highly doubt a large percentage of the 22 million iPods sold were touches. The iPod touch is expensive and offers very little storage, the two main things people look at when buying a higher model of the iPod. The native apps and a change in storage capacity or price are needed before the touch accounts for a large percentage of those 22 million. Native apps are going to be a huge boost in sales for both iPod touch and iPhone.

9. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

they will sell a lot of games, A LOT, prob a lot of ofice type apps too. as for im, i cant see it, but as instant messaging needs to be online i agree with o.p. a web app is as good as native as it makes no difference, beejive baby.

10. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

I hate 95% of these webapps. They would work so much better if they were native, but you just can't get the most out of the iPhone with these webapps.

11. ben5959 thread starter macrumors regular

i agree with you as far the ipod touch users, but my original post is in regards to the Iphone and the SDK, thats why we are currently in an "IPHONE FORUM." Of course this release will change the touch market greatly, but the vast majority, im not saying all, of the iphone users have cell coverage most of the time, thats why they purchased a phone and not an ipod. Furthermore making an app that runs natively and has to be bought, utterly useless when there is a free webapp alternative that now through the release of the update runs nativesque. And yes of course there will probably be some great apps that will be able to do things that webapps arent able to do, but this last update, in my opinion, has greatly diminished the need for the average customer to rely on the what the SDK brings!!!

12. ben5959 thread starter macrumors regular

well i guess my opinion on this matter is completely useless as i have just succeeded in destroying my iphone. What a great day it is!:(

13. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

How did you do that?

14. James L macrumors 6502a

You said: "Obviously I know that the SDK isn’t even released yet, but I don’t think too much will change when it is." You actually didn't specifically put it in the context of the iPhone.

I simply pointed out that the SDK is about much more than the iPhone. it has far greater reaches, including devices that haven't been released yet. Much will change because of it, both for the iPhone, the Touch, and future devices.

As I also mentioned in my post, there are many occurrences when iPhone users are away from WIFI/edge, or they require an application for their business that is not available, or not feasible as a website. Medical people have been waiting for native versions of their preferred apps for a year now, and many remain on Palm devices right now because they are not available yet.

For a person who is never out of cell reception (never on a plane, never travels to remote areas, etc) maybe having links to websites on their desktop is enough. The SDK is about far more than those people, however.

Think different!

15. lordhamster macrumors 6502a

I can't wait for Skype for iPhone. THAT will be awsome. I'd love to be able to walk around the house and use the iPhone as a WIFI Skype client.

16. EvanAgee macrumors member

EvanAgee

I think the SDK is going to be HUGE. I mean, look at all of the wonderful software developers out there already making software for the Mac. Don't you think we're almost certainly going to see at least companion products for these great apps that will work on the iPhone? I think it will be a huge asset for the iPhone and will really take it to the next level.

17. demiurgical macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

the problem with webapps is that it only works if you have signal. try having to commute on the NYC subway system everyday and see how bad youll really want native apps then ~

18. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Somehow I suspect that AT&T will convince Apple to reject this particular app.

19. savemefromtears macrumors newbie

savemefromtears

20. yayaba macrumors 6502

I haven't updated yet to 1.1.3 because of iBlackjack, iSolitaire, Five Dice, and the NES emulator.

Seriously, I could probably find the first three games as a Webapp but loading the apps sometimes just takes forever depending on where you are. Plus you don't get the spiffy Core Animation graphics and the touch interface with Safari sucks sometimes depending on how the app is coded.

Trust me, native apps are way better than web apps. I dont' even know why I have to state that.

21. lordgaino macrumors member

SDK slingplayer.....................

....will be worth having the iphone for alone.

Over it already?? You obviously have no ability to think outside the box!

22. lordhamster macrumors 6502a

I'd also love to see Aidium, maybe a Picasa or Flickr Uploader, VNC client etc

23. Agathon macrumors 6502a

Agathon

I agree. Having seen some of the crude games on jailbroken units, I'm interested to see what professional game developers can make of it. The accelerometer, along with the multitouch interface, should make for some really great games. Nintendo has already demonstrated the sorts of things that can be done with the DS, and IIRC the iPhone/Touch are much more powerful than either that or the PSP.

There's a ton of money to be made writing games for Apple's new units.

24. zetsurin macrumors regular

I'm so over the iPhone 2. I mean, who needs it?

25. hauss316H macrumors member

just wait for someone to make an AIM program for the iphone, if it continuely connects like the sidekick or other phones, i bet you can actually watch the battery drain.