SDK Third Party Apps

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Ryan.Tanner, Feb 7, 2008.

1. Ryan.Tanner macrumors regular

Has there been any info on how these apps will arrive onto our iPhones?

Are they going to be through iTunes?

Are we going to have to pay for them (even if the publisher doesn't want to charge)?

Any more information that is known would be great. I am starting to wonder how it will all work out, and how much memory these apps are going to take up on my (early adapted) 4GB iPhone.

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

At this time no one know exactly who the SDK apps are going to be implemented and installed or controlled.

The best guesses out there are that SDK apps are going to be installed via iTunes, and that they may be charged (developer's choice). Other than that we are all pretty much left to wonder how.

3. domness macrumors 6502a

domness

Yes- They are definitely going to go through iTunes. Apple will sell them from $0 to something like $7. And Apple will obviously get a certain percentage of the money and the rest go to the developer.

Applications will have to be "signed" or whatever to go through iTunes and when updates are available, users can download the updates for the apps for the iPhone.

However, I've heard from somewhere that people are trying to hack the key (and apparently found it- yet advertising it on the internet tells me that Apple will probably change their tactics a little) - which enables programs to be downloaded to the iPhone - still through iTunes- but with no connection to Apple..

4. meatybonez macrumors newbie

Does anyone know how much space the new SDK apps take up...this will help me decide whether or not to upgrade to 16GB...Apple probably had a reason to upgrade to 16GB...hopefully 8GB is enough for a couple of the new apps...

5. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Ever owned a Windows Mobile device? That should give a clue.

Most have 128MB of program space, and you can put a fair number of apps in that. Add a 1GB card and you can go crazy.

Heck, the Opera web browser is no more than 5MB.

6. mouchoir macrumors 6502a

Sounds like a question I once heard involving a piece of string... ;)

I'm sure you'll be fine getting loads onto a 4GB iPhone, but we'll just have to wait and see what kind of file size they are until they start getting released.

7. maestro55 macrumors 68030

maestro55

I myself will be waiting to see what happens in terms of 3rd party apps. I was looking forwarding to seeing some available this month or next month. Does anyone know of any current projects that are being done? Will the programs that were already running on jailbroken iPhones be ported?