Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Skika

macrumors 68030
Mar 11, 2009
It's basically the same thing in terms of real world use. Most people that long press, actually apply more pressure while doing it. Thus, the same thing as 3D touch, minus the vibration.

No its not the same please stop, i can force touch as quickly as i would tap. Also how would you differenciate between peek and pop? A long and even longer press? Cmon

Reactions: Thierry ba

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
There is absolutely no 3D Touch in the SE. The FaceTime camera is also outdated, the Touch ID is the older slow kind, and there is no barometer for tracking stairs climbed. Those are the primary differences. I think there are a few other small changes too, something to do with the pixel arrangement on the display using an older technology. Oh and I think the LTE radio is slower, but that's not a big deal as most carriers can't get anywhere close to maxing that out right now.
To call the TouchID "slow" is an exaggeration. It's just a little slower than the second version used on the 6S, but not slow by any means...
On the contrary quite a few people find the new TouchID to be a little too fast.
[doublepost=1458944871][/doublepost]
No its not the same please stop, i can force touch as quickly as i would tap. Also how would you differenciate between peek and pop? A long and even longer press? Cmon
Correct.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
To call the TouchID "slow" is an exaggeration. It's just a little slower than the second version used on the 6S, but not slow by any means...
On the contrary quite a few people find the new TouchID to be a little too fast.
[doublepost=1458944871][/doublepost]
Correct.
I was blown away by how fast the new one is. When I unlock my iPad Air 2 I always take my finger off too quick now. It's a surprisingly noticeable difference. I love it. I've trained myself to wake differently to view my notifications easily. I noted it was too fast at first too but now it's fine.

dannys1

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2007
UK
3D touch itself is just a software implementation

Sorry but have to stop these tech mistruths that can spread. Its not software implementation at all, the jailbreak tweak does nothing but hack into the shortcuts with long press. There is no pop/peek because there is no force sensitivity. You can weight items on the 6s screen as it can sense force not just if something is being touched or not. The peek/pop works by pressing so hard to peek (and then you can see the touch sensitivity as you can actually zoom in/out a little bit by pressing harder or lighter) then press even harder and it'll open the item full fully (pop) not just software at all.

Back the original note though, its a shame really as ironically 3D Touch would be a lot easier to use on a 4 inch phone where you can easily press hard with your thumb with one hard whilst holding the phone. Generally I can only use force touch with one hand in the bottom quarter of the 6s, to be able to grip and press hard enough to trigger it is tricky, it'd be far better on the SE. Next year I guess (when the SE will omit what other flagship feature the 7 has sigh)

yep-sure

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
There is nothing wrong with the first gen Touch ID. Every iPad, including the Pro's, use 1st gen.

Yes, the TouchID on the 6S is a little faster, but it's certainly no inconvenience going from one to the other. In fact, it's barely noticeable.

Reactions: Thierry ba

PaladinGuy

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2014
I don't personally feel like the primary issue with the 1st Generation of Touch ID is the speed but rather the reliability. I've heard more people say that it doesn't always work with the 1st generation. I've never heard anyone say that about the 2nd generation. That's just my experience though. I will say that I don't really recall it being that unreliable with my iPhone 6. I only notice the speed.

However, hearing others say that they can't always get their iPhone 5S to unlock with Touch ID scares me.

yep-sure

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
I don't personally feel like the primary issue with the 1st Generation of Touch ID is the speed but rather the reliability. I've heard more people say that it doesn't always work with the 1st generation. I've never heard anyone say that about the 2nd generation. That's just my experience though. I will say that I don't really recall it being that unreliable with my iPhone 6. I only notice the speed.

However, hearing others say that they can't always get their iPhone 5S to unlock with Touch ID scares me.

When it comes to reliability, I've noticed no difference between the iPhone 6 I previously owned, the iPhone 6S and my iPad Air 2.

There's nothing to be scared about.

justiny

Contributor
Jul 28, 2008
Bubbletucky
I've never had any issues with first gen Touch ID. I have it on my 5s and my iPad Air 2, for over two years and over a year respectively, with zero complications.

While second gen Touch ID is faster, it's certainly not a deal breaker for me to not switch over to the SE. Just the simple fact that I don't have to type passwords and now I can finally have Apple Pay, along with a 12 MP camera and A9/M9 at a reduced price is sweet to me. 2GB of ram is the cherry on top.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
I was blown away by how fast the new one is. When I unlock my iPad Air 2 I always take my finger off too quick now. It's a surprisingly noticeable difference. I love it. I've trained myself to wake differently to view my notifications easily. I noted it was too fast at first too but now it's fine.
Indeed.
I'm experiencing the same going from my iPad mini 4 to my 6S.
But I'm fine with both.

When it comes to reliability, I've noticed no difference between the iPhone 6 I previously owned, the iPhone 6S and my iPad Air 2.

There's nothing to be scared about.
Correct.
There is speed difference, but no difference in reliability.

Reactions: yep-sure

Trahearne

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2014
It's basically the same thing in terms of real world use. Most people that long press, actually apply more pressure while doing it. Thus, the same thing as 3D touch, minus the vibration.
You got only 2 axis from a normal digitizer (x, y position), while 3D Touch gets you a third axis namely force in a precise way. Long press is just a function of time, while 3D Touch actions are running solely as a function of the force, leading to a more deterministic and rapid experience. Yes, applying force still takes time, but as long as you are applying enough force, you instantly get what you want. What about relying on a function of time? You are passively waiting for the expected results to be triggered with a fixed time interval.

lympero

macrumors 6502a
Sep 1, 2008
Arta, Greece
I just don't get it. Apple said that 3D Touch is the next big thing and even compared it with the introduction of multi touch to devices.
Now imagine apple releasing an iPhone after the first one without multi touch.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I just don't get it. Apple said that 3D Touch is the next big thing and even compared it with the introduction of multi touch to devices.
They are releasing an upgrade to the 5s line of phones and making it affordable by keeping the design and screen the same to use the existing production lines and supplies. Not really hard to get at all.

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009

That's a bad comparison to make. 3D Touch is not as big a deal as that. Most people buying the SE aren't bothered by the lack of 3D Touch.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
I understand that, I'm just saying the same end result happens; the implementation. I completely agree that it won't feel the same without the motor/vibration.
Yeah, haptic engine is an important part to provide full 3d touch experience. But I still think there are certain hardware changes on display to support 3d touch without using a long press. I can just press harder when pressing the screen to call out sub menu in home screen. Same amount of time for a long press, or maybe a little bit shorter.
[doublepost=1459124157][/doublepost]I like to use 3D Touch after buying this iPhone 6s Plus, but that because my old iPhone 6 Plus was stolen.
I believe I will not try to upgrade to iPhone 6s Plus if I still use my previous iPhone 6 Plus.
Force touch is a good deal, but not a real deal breaker.
And yes, I occasionally activate force touch unintentionally here and there.
Given the price of this iPhone SE and it packs a lot of features from iPhone 6s, I think this deal is big enough.

Vanilla35

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2013
Washington D.C.
You got only 2 axis from a normal digitizer (x, y position), while 3D Touch gets you a third axis namely force in a precise way. Long press is just a function of time, while 3D Touch actions are running solely as a function of the force, leading to a more deterministic and rapid experience. Yes, applying force still takes time, but as long as you are applying enough force, you instantly get what you want. What about relying on a function of time? You are passively waiting for the expected results to be triggered with a fixed time interval.

It just seems to me, that the way it was implemented; it doesn't actually function as a time saver. I see very limited functionality in apps like instagram where you can preview without having to jump into something - but in those very same apps you have the slide from the left of the screen function for back, so it doesn't make it much more useful - as it's not an issue to begin with. The thing that sucks about peek is you need to continuously hold it, so your thumb is basically blocking all the content.

In addition, the user interaction just seems more complicated with the inclusion of 3D touch. Now there is pressure (peek) and then more pressure (pop) to perform an entry, whereas previously you would just have a single tap for both, and then back (slide from left of screen) if you needed to go back.

Reactions: turbineseaplane

Ta0jin

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2011
Maryland
From what I understand it's the same front panel from the 5S, Touch ID and all. So nothing was taken away they just used the 5S panel to keep cost down.

iMaven

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 21, 2011
The "SE" is like an introductory iPhone or for those who want a smaller phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.