Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iMaven

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 21, 2011
I didn't hear anyone mentioning 3D touch for the iPhone SE during the keynote. Anyone know if they removed that functionality for the SE?

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I didn't hear anyone mentioning 3D touch for the iPhone SE during the keynote. Anyone know if they removed that functionality for the SE?
There is absolutely no 3D Touch in the SE. The FaceTime camera is also outdated, the Touch ID is the older slow kind, and there is no barometer for tracking stairs climbed. Those are the primary differences. I think there are a few other small changes too, something to do with the pixel arrangement on the display using an older technology. Oh and I think the LTE radio is slower, but that's not a big deal as most carriers can't get anywhere close to maxing that out right now.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Not so much removed it as they simply didn't implement it.

I can't say I use it all that much once the novelty wore off. In fact it leaves my interaction with more error prone than before. I don't hate it though. It can be useful. But it's thus far for me not a deal breaking gotta have feature. I'm sure others will disagree.

I do find it crucial on my Apple Watch because it is a key part of the interface on the watch.

Vanilla35

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2013
Washington D.C.

It wasn't removed, it simply wasn't added. The 6S has a motor/vibrator inside it that allows it to have the 3D touch effect. 3D touch itself is just a software implementation (the iPhone 6 can have it through a jailbroken tweak), but the motor itself is what is unique the the 6S (the feel). The 5SE probably didn't have enough room for that, or instead they chose to put battery in it instead.

6SE has larger battery than the 5S though.
[doublepost=1458840664][/doublepost]
I think there are a few other small changes too, something to do with the pixel arrangement on the display using an older technology.

Do you have any more details about that? Also that would mean the differences in screen technology from the 5S vs the 6 screen. Is that what you're referring to?

Reactions: SackJabbit

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
It wasn't removed, it simply wasn't added. The 6S has a motor/vibrator inside it that allows it to have the 3D touch effect. 3D touch itself is just a software implementation (the iPhone 6 can have it through a jailbroken tweak), but the motor itself is what is unique the the 6S (the feel). The 5SE probably didn't have enough room for that, or instead they chose to put battery in it instead.

Do you have any more details about that? Also that would mean the differences in screen technology from the 5S vs the 6 screen. Is that what you're referring to?
Yeah I can't remember the name of it. Saw someone else comment it the other day. The newer displays have little chevron shaped pixels and the old displays are square. Supposed to help minimize the screendoor effect or something most likely? Haven't looked into it very deeply as I doubt most people will notice or care.

GalFieri

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2016
California
I'm guessing the SE lacks 3D Touch because a combination of these (or at least 1 of these) factors: 1) supply constraints (the 6s and 6s Plus are going to offer higher margins and sell better so may as well reserve components for those), 2) cost, 3) withholding certain features so the more expensive models are more enticing, and 4) internal design constraints.

Yeah 3D Touch is available through jailbreak tweaks but they just simulate the feature by using long presses. The 6s and 6s Plus don't just detect increased pressure through software. It's just not the same, with or without the vibration from the Taptic Engine.

Vanilla35

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2013
Washington D.C.
Yeah I can't remember the name of it. Saw someone else comment it the other day. The newer displays have little chevron shaped pixels and the old displays are square. Supposed to help minimize the screendoor effect or something most likely? Haven't looked into it very deeply as I doubt most people will notice or care.

Gotcha, I appreciate the details.
[doublepost=1458842588][/doublepost]
Yeah 3D Touch is available through jailbreak tweaks but they just simulate the feature by using long presses. The 6s and 6s Plus don't just detect increased pressure through software. It's just not the same, with or without the vibration from the Taptic Engine.

I understand that, I'm just saying the same end result happens; the implementation. I completely agree that it won't feel the same without the motor/vibration.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Well, if by removed you simply mean that they didn't add that extra functionality (on a phone that is basically an upgrade to the 5s), then that would be correct.

Reactions: Vanilla35

illitrate23

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2004
uk
3) withholding certain features so the more expensive models are more enticing, and 4) internal design constraints.
Its odd that it's not available on the iPad Pros. Is it on the iPad Mini 4?
Seems Apple aren't entirely committed to 3D touch just yet

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Its odd that it's not available on the iPad Pros. Is it on the iPad Mini 4?
Seems Apple aren't entirely committed to 3D touch just yet
More expensive to do it on larger screens of that size so Apple hasn't pushed it there yet (and something they can add to version 2 of those iPad Pros)?

Reactions: Vanilla35

iMaven

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 21, 2011
There is absolutely no 3D Touch in the SE. The FaceTime camera is also outdated, the Touch ID is the older slow kind, and there is no barometer for tracking stairs climbed. Those are the primary differences. I think there are a few other small changes too, something to do with the pixel arrangement on the display using an older technology. Oh and I think the LTE radio is slower, but that's not a big deal as most carriers can't get anywhere close to maxing that out right now.
I didn't realize they left so much out. I guess Apple was more focused on size than features. I'll wait for the iPhone 7.

Last edited:

HEK

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2013
US Eastern time zone
They didn't remove that functionality. Apple didn't add a new screen and therefore 3D Touch functionality. Not so subtle of a difference, never having it is not removing anything.
[doublepost=1458881153][/doublepost]Will the people that keep mentioning the lack of a barometer please stop mentioning that. The 138 people world wide that want to measure stair steps, will need to get the 6s or 6s Plus. They probably already have the 6 anyway as they were waiting for the stair step counter before getting the iPhone. The 5se sales will not suffer because of no barometer.

Last edited:

Sajal

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2014
Will the people that keep mentioning the lack of a barometer please stop mentioning that. The 138 people world wide that want to measure stair steps, will need to get the 6s or 6s Plus.

Except the fact that 6 & 6 plus also has that feature and most of the people who give a glance to their health app, like to see the stairs climbed data too (I have few people of those 138 among my friends)

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
I'm personally pleased it's not in there.

I only ever ended up using it accidentally on my 6s honestly.

One day it might be more "must have", but for me...not now

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
They didn't remove that functionality. Apple didn't add a new screen and therefore 3D Touch functionality. Not so subtle of a difference, never having it is not removing anything.
[doublepost=1458881153][/doublepost]Will the people that keep mentioning the lack of a barometer please stop mentioning that. The 138 people world wide that want to measure stair steps, will need to get the 6s or 6s Plus. They probably already have the 6 anyway as they were waiting for the stair step counter before getting the iPhone. The 5se sales will not suffer because of no barometer.

My favorite feature of the barometer is using the app Pressure Altimeter to see how fast an elevator is.

The lifts at the Atlanta Marriott Marquis are 1100FPM. Pretty crazy. :)

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Anyone know if they removed that functionality for the SE?
Semantics, I know but its a feature never added, not removed.

I didn't realize they left so much out. I guess Apple was more focused on size than features. I'll wait for the iPhone 7.
That's a matter of perspective, I find that for a non-flagship phone, it has so much of the 6s with a fantastic price. I understand the SE is not for everyone, but I think its a great phone. I'm not really worked up over TouchID, it works well with my iPhone 6, so I expect it to work just as well. 3d Touch is not something I'm worked up over, and after a fair amount of analysis the lack of Barometer doesn't seem to impact me at all.

Paul S

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2006
Echoing a few others here, but 3D Touch and Barometer aren't deal breakers. In fact, for me, they aren't deal makers, either. My wife has the 6s and never cared for either of those "features." I will take the smaller size and the longer battery life.

The positive thing is, those that do want those features can get them in the 6s. Nice to have a few choices.

Reactions: catean

Skika

macrumors 68030
Mar 11, 2009

The motor is NOT the only hardware difference, the 6S has a layer under the screen that detects force. Then the motor just gives you feedback based on that.

Reactions: Thierry ba

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009

So much? That's very little. Everyone is giving Apple praise right now, even those who aren't interested in the SE. They left out things that aren't even a big deal, and look at the price difference. SE is as powerful as the 6s...and has 2GB RAM, etc. Apple should be commended.

Reactions: turbineseaplane

Vanilla35

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2013
Washington D.C.
The motor is NOT the only hardware difference, the 6S has a layer under the screen that detects force. Then the motor just gives you feedback based on that.

It's basically the same thing in terms of real world use. Most people that long press, actually apply more pressure while doing it. Thus, the same thing as 3D touch, minus the vibration.

ZEEN0j

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2014
It's basically the same thing in terms of real world use. Most people that long press, actually apply more pressure while doing it. Thus, the same thing as 3D touch, minus the vibration.

Won't work if you have a button where holding does one thing and force pressing does another.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.