SE or 8?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Nic727, Sep 13, 2017.

1. Nic727 macrumors member

Nic727

Hi,

I'm new to the forum and was questioning myself about what should I get?

Currently, I have an iPod Touch 5G and a MotoG phone with Android. I'm looking to get only one iPhone where I can put my music, games, movie as well as being able to call people. I don't really like big phone and prefer the size of my iPod Touch. I went in an Apple Store a couple of weeks ago to look at the iPhone SE, but I don't really like the fact that I can't have a real Space Gray color and that it has cheap circular buttons for volume. Also, the height of the SE is not really appealing... The only thing I like is the physical button and smaller size compared to new iPhone.

Saying this like that, it's sure that I'm not in favor to buy a SE, but I would like to know if you think that Apple may release a new SE or maybe an iPhone 8 Mini in March 2018? Maybe they will never renew the SE series?

The 8 look appealing, but I'm not sure about the size since I don't have big hands. I prefer something that I can hold easily and put in my pocket very fast. I also tested the iPhone 7 home button and I don't really like the fact that it's a fake button. Also the price of the 8 in Canada is almost $1000 compared to the $450 of the SE.

Do you think I should wait for March 2018?

thx

2. Azzurro macrumors regular

I own a SE and I'm waiting for a possible SE2 this March.

3. kreasonos macrumors regular

I love my SE, can't wait for the next version, just hope it stays the same size. I can't stand the bigger 8 and X. Way too big for a phone in my opinion.

4. wborisenok macrumors 6502

wborisenok

Pretty sure I'm about to sell my 128GB iPhone 7 Plus for a 128GB iPhone SE. Would LOVE if they refreshed the SE this March; I'd definitely upgrade again.

5. kreasonos macrumors regular

Steve Jobs made the iPhone to be used COMFORTABLY with one hand. The SE is the closest phone in Apples line up resembling what Jobs intended the phone to be. The 8 and X are mutant phones aimed at purse toting consumers who don't use pockets.

6. illitrate23 macrumors 6502a

illitrate23

i really like the SE - i wasn't a fan of the 6 screen size.
    If they hadn't done the X, i'd be holding onto the SE in the hope of an SE2 next year, yep
    FWIW the volume buttons on my SE have held up better than the volume buttons on my 6 did. Hopefully they improved the buttons for the 7 and 8.

7. 827538 macrumors 65816

If they put a 1080p OLED display on the iPhone SE with upgraded internals, I'd buy it right this second.

8. wborisenok macrumors 6502

wborisenok

Just pulled the trigger on a 128GB Space Gray iPhone SE. I almost can't believe it myself. I am the girl that always buys the brand new iPhone and here I am purchasing one that's over a year old. I think that speaks VOLUMES about Apple's direction this year.

9. 827538 macrumors 65816

Isn't there an update to the SE coming?

10. wborisenok macrumors 6502

wborisenok

Hopefully in the spring. If it does, I'll sell this one and upgrade again.

11. HippyRabbitFish macrumors member

HippyRabbitFish

I have large hands but prefer a device I can drop into my back pocket without it sticking out. That's my use case for a small phone.

An SE would definitely be an upgrade over my 8GB iPhone 4, but I'm going to wait until spring to see if there's a refresh on the SE. If there is, the SE2, or whatever it is called, I'm 90% certain that device will become my next phone. If there isn't, I might just pop a new battery in this amazing little-phone-that-could. My computing needs are met primarily with other devices (iPad, MBP, Windows laptop).

12. Patrick P macrumors member

I have an iPhone 6 16gb and thats too small. I am also thinking about getting 64 or 128gb SE.
    If I had an 6S I would wait another year or buy the 8 in spring with discount.
    But the SE is a great phone and really cheap now (eBay etc.)

13. HarryWild macrumors 65816

HarryWild

It would great if Apple would do an SE2 in the Spring! Have the A11, better cameras, ceramic touch ID, LTE-A, Wi-Fi? and 3GB RAM and OLED screen?

14. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm on the fence, I also love my SE, but my home button is not functioning as it should. I'm not sure if I should pay for a repair (no applecare), live with the button hoping it doesn't get worse, or just bite the bullet and get an 8

15. HarryWild macrumors 65816

HarryWild

I book a appointment with a tech at the Apple store nearest you and see what they say! The technician could ask the manager to exchange it or repair the SE for free or do it for less then you thought! It is an easy repair to do.

16. 827538 macrumors 65816

Are you going for an iPhone 7 Plus to an SE? Then upgrading again in the spring?

17. wborisenok macrumors 6502

wborisenok

Yep. On my SE right now. My 7 Plus sold today for $650 and I pocketed the difference. If they refresh the SE in the spring, I'll upgrade again and probably stash this SE away as a backup.

18. 827538 macrumors 65816

Fair enough, my girlfriend has an SE and is thinking of upgrading too. Hope it features waterproofing as she's had a few close calls.

I just can't justify the £999 or $999 if i got the other half to pick it up... My 6S will last another year.

19. iKnowMr.Jobs macrumors 6502

iKnowMr.Jobs

I'd wait until March. Although the current SE is rocking an A9 (which is still a great SOC) and now two generations behind, I honestly don't believe that an updated version will be on par with the iPhone 8 & X (A11 devices). They'll most likely bring it up to par with the iPhone 7 (A10, waterproofing, removing the headphone jack, stereo speakers, camera, etc). The SE was always meant to be the cheapest option in the lineup and that lineup now includes more devices than every (SE, 6s, 7, 8 & X). It would look rather odd if they sold a theoretical SE with an A11 for around the same price as a 6S.

20. slippery-pete macrumors 65832

slippery-pete

The larger phones don'y always need to be stored in your pockets...they can be put in other places, if you know what I mean.

21. kreasonos macrumors regular

I'm keeping my SE until they release an SE2 that's the same size but better.

22. wborisenok macrumors 6502

wborisenok

I don't believe they'll go as far to remove the headphone jack. The SE is appealing to older folks as an "entry-level" iPhone. I think they'll do everything you mentioned but still attempt to keep it pretty straight forward in terms of bells and whistles. We MIGHT get 3D Touch, but that's probably as fancy as it'd go.

23. HeyKatie macrumors 6502

I think I'll be sticking the the se or even the 6s if no upgrade to the se comes out before my upgrade in August, as someone who has to rely on public transit to get around I'm always listening to music so the headphone jack is a deal breaker for me!

24. Traverse macrumors 604

Traverse

I've had an iPhone SE for almost 1.5 years and really like it, but I think I'm going for an iphone 8.

It's not the size, I like that, but the screen was a noticeable step down from the iPhone 6 I had.

• Better screen
    • 3D Touch. (Nice add-on, not essential)
    • Better camera
    • Stereo speakers
    • Much faster chip (A9 vs A11)

Seems like a solid experience upgrade. Many parts of iOS are poorly optimized for a 4" screen and I feel like the SE will simply get an A-chip and camera update.

25. Rum_Becker Suspended

They should make a 4" SeX and call it a day.