Seagate 7200 - Is anti-shock working?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by crazylegsmurphy, Oct 15, 2009.

1. crazylegsmurphy macrumors 6502

Hey All,

Is there any way to make sure the anti-shock feature is working on my newly installed Seagate HD?

Is there anything that needs to be set up or anything?

Thanks,

Jeff

2. sdsvtdriver macrumors 65816

3. ncdasa macrumors member

4. CoolJoe57 macrumors newbie

CoolJoe57

5. eddieddu macrumors newbie

If you are unsure if the dropping method is a good one you can do the following:
    Copy a bunch of files using finder from one location to another. After starting copying lift you book and move around. You should see an interruption of the copy process.

6. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

The Sudden-Motion-Sensor is built into the Mac. If you go to System Profiler > Hardware, you should see "Sudden Motion Sensor: State: Enabled". In other words, you'll have protection regardless of whether the drive has a drop sensor or not.

7. macjunk(ie) macrumors 6502a

in fact, if you are using the seagate in a mac...in all probability..it is the one which does not have the anti-shock mechanism...the anti-shock of the seagate and the mac do not play nice together...

8. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

I have a WD with the sensor, and no problems with my 17" ubMBP. Though, that is a WD, not Seagate, I've seen reports that most don't have any conflict. I believe that was just one model, and not any current model. I was concerned when I got it as a warranty replacement from WD (replacing a non-sensor model), but it's been fine - I even tripped the sensor (I just lowered it quickly in mid-air - no dropping here!)

9. crazylegsmurphy thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks Everyone,

I checked the system profile and it said that anti-shock is enabled. I have tried moving it around to see if I could hear the audible "click" like I did with the stock HD, but I can't hear it like I did with the old one.

It just continues to "whir".

I'm assuming it's working, but I just wanted to see if there is a for sure way to tell. I did buy the one without the g-force anti-shock feature so I'm not getting and errors or anything.

10. macjunk(ie) macrumors 6502a

cool...i was wanting to buy the new seagate 500gb 7200 RPM drives...but was goin to buy the normal one...i think i can now buy the one with the anti-shock mechanism....a little bit of extra protection never hurt anybody..;)

a quick question here...how do you know that the sensor is enabled on ur hard disk? does it show up in system profiler?

11. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

I believe it's always enabled on a drive that comes with it. In System Profiler, there isn't any info from the drive - other than its part number and its SMART status.