Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Drile

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 30, 2005
Is there anyways to enable the touch power button on a Segate FreeAgent Pro external drive using it with OS X?

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
It works. It just won't shut off the drive while still connected.

It should automatically power up when connected, but sometimes I've had to hit the button. Same with disconnecting - most of the time it shuts down by itself.

edit: connected via USB2. I have a FW version, but haven't connected yet. I'm assuming the same behavior though.

Drile

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 30, 2005
Should the touch power button be lit up by the same orange glow light that goes around the outside of the enclosure?

The power button on mine is black all the time. When I disconnect the drive the lights on the outside don't turn off. Then when I press the power button the lights still don't turn off.

I guess the real question is: Does the orange light that goes around the enclosure turn off when the drive is off, or is it always on?

Edit: I do have it connected via FW.

Drile

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 30, 2005
Nevermind everything I said.

The powerbutton works fine and the lights turn off, it just take a minute or two after it has been disconnected.

Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.