Seagate Momentus XT: SD25 vs SD26

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JR13, Jul 19, 2011.

1. JR13 macrumors newbie

I've been reading reviews and I see some people are having issues with the firmware. It seems SD25 is what works for the MBP.

Anyone running this hybrid HDD here?

2. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

I run two of these drives with my 2010 i5 15" MBP and they run perfectly...IIRC, I have the SD25...

3. JR13 thread starter macrumors newbie

How do you know what firmware you get? Is there a sticker on the drive itself? Or by trial and error?

4. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

IIRC, it is on the sticker on the drive, yes...

5. secretanchitman macrumors 6502

secretanchitman

i had SD24 on my momentus XT 500GB and it was working just fine. i never bothered to update to SD25 or SD26...any momentus XT you get should be perfect with osx.

you can also find out the firmware through osx as well.

6. tekjunke macrumors member

Installed a new one last week, has 26... no problems whatsoever.

7. JR13 thread starter macrumors newbie

What do you guys think is causing the problem for the others? Is it safe to get any momentus xt now? How is the installation? Any different from any HDD? Any special settings I have to know? Or tweaks to make it run efficiently?

More importantly, is everyone running Snow Leopard?

8. tj616 macrumors newbie

Never had any problems running SD24, so I didn't bother upgrading to the later revisions.

Also to see what firmware your drive has installed just go to system profiler (apple button>about this mac>more info) Click on Serial-ATA and next to "revision" it will say what your current firmware version is.

9. rex450se macrumors regular

I updated mine to SD25 when I installed it, before loading Snow Leaopard, and haven't had an issues. I really like the drive and could tell a difference from the stock one.

Victor

10. Philflow macrumors 65816

I'm running SD25. It runs great. I sold my SSD for it.

There are many threads about the Seagate XT.

11. zikpik macrumors newbie

standby

I received HDD with SD26 (on the sticker) so I'm surprised that SD25 is the lates fw officialy recommended by Seagate.
    In the fact my disk never go to standby althoug it's configured in OS. Anoyne else found problem with stanby? (HDD is still spinning)

12. Synergie macrumors 6502a

Mine has SD26 (came with) and my MBP goes to sleep with no issues. The HD stops spinning and goes to sleep. Running it with Lion

13. cube macrumors G5

SD25 fixed the issue I introduced by blindly updating from SD22 to SD23, to I stopped looking.

14. Adamantoise macrumors 6502a

I installed my Momentus XT and didn't even bother checking the firmware.

I don't think I'll bother either until I start having problems.

15. Tydog07 macrumors 6502

+1 same, mine came with SD26 and I don't have problems sleeping.

16. DoghouseMike macrumors regular

I've had mine in for a few weeks and all's well, SD26, running Lion.
    Installation-wise it's the same as any other drive, just plugs in. No sleep issues. Anyone complaining about it still spinning after they put the computer to sleep probably need to remember that unless they've changed it, they'll be doing a "safe sleep" which means dumping RAM onto the hard drive, so that if the power totally goes out, you still don't lose anything. Unless it keeps spinning for ages.

17. Synergie macrumors 6502a

Actually I have used Smart Sleep to turn that off. I have it set to 'Smart Sleep' which will just put it to sleep if it's above the sleep and hibernate level I have set (which I have set for 10% of battery power) So anything over 10% and it just sleeps (much faster sleep and wake!!!). Under that and it will write to the HD and hibernate. Of course if I let it stay unplugged until it was drained while sleeping, I'd lose whatever was not stored to the HD... I'm fine with that since I always save my work before I shut the lid anyway, ......and besides doesn't Lion auto save everything now anyway?

18. marsman05 macrumors newbie

Momentus XT boot issue

First up i'm a Noob to this forum so excuse my ignorance :) If i'm in the wrong place please repost or delete it.

Just thought i'd post to see if anyone is having similar issues. I'm not a 100% sure this is related to the HDD but after seeing all the trouble people are having on the forums with this drive it makes sense as i was having not issues with the original drive.

I purchased a MacBook Pro 8,1 (A1278) 2.7Ghz i7 at the start of the year which came with a Hitachi 500GB 5400rpm.

I recently upgraded to a Seagate Momentus XT (SD26 firmware). I have been having an issue where I boot the macbook and it loads to the login screen but then automatically goes into sleep mode or hybernation mode. The light on the front of the macbook fades in and out. When I press the power button it does the same thing over and over again.... I have reinstalled Mac OS X 10.6.8 and reset the PRAM and still have the same issue.

Anyway I have TechTool Pro installed and have run some tests on both HDD's installed internally. I run the "suite of computer tests" and everything comes up fine with both HDD's EXCEPT the SMART check. Everthing with the HITACHI HDD seems to pass but with the MOMENTUS XT the "RAW READ ERROR RATE" and "TEMERATURE CHANGES" seems to have a lolw score. I've attached the screen shots of the results...

HITACHI
    HITACHI 5400rpm.png

MOMENTUS XT
    MOMENTUS XT.png

My question is, should this be of concern? or is this related to the 4GB SSD hybrid installed in the Momentus XT? I was hoping someone might have a technical answer. And thought it might help out other people with a Macbook looking to upgrade to the Momentus XT. Also should I post this over at the Seagate forums???

19. Philflow macrumors 65816

If you have issues with SD26 you can downgrade to SD25. Someone posted success with it earlier on the forums.

I'm running SD25 myself. Runs flawless, excellent drive.

20. BAC5.2 macrumors regular

SD25 here.

Everything seems fine.

Lion, however, seems to give some problems unrelated to the HDD.

21. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

SD25 here as well...upgraded from SD23. No real problems as of yet except I do seem to still have some sleep/deep sleep related issues if I choose to put the MBP to sleep overnight (which I don't anymore because of the wake issues). I tried SmartSleep but it did the same thing (won't wake if left to sleep overnight)...weird...:confused:

22. jamezr macrumors G4

jamezr

There are a ton of reviews available here at Newegg...
    Some people with MBPs are having a terrible time with this drive.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148591&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&PageSize=10&SelectedRating=-1&VideoOnlyMark=False&IsFeedbackTab=true#scrollFullInfo
    From Seagate's support form:
    http://forums.seagate.com/t5/Momentus-XT-Momentus-Momentus/bd-p/Momentus
    There area lot of mixed reviews about this drive in Macs. Some people have no issues at all but some have all kinds of reliability problems and crashing. I was going to get one of these but will wait til the reviews even out abit. Seagate will probably release a firmware update that will solve these issues....

23. strang, Aug 14, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2011

strang macrumors member

I updated my Momentus XT from SD23 to SD24 and is now on SD25 because that is the latest version offered by Seagate's website.

To be honest? I didn't notice any problems with SD23 to begin with...? SD24 did have the sleep problem but SD25 definitely fixed it for me.

Maybe when SD26 is made available, I'll update to it. But I have a feeling that it may be a custom build. Seagate may have revised the hardware slightly and SD26 is the start of a new revision. Or else why isn't it available to update to?

Edit: SD26 addresses very specific issue and nobody knows what it is.
    http://forums.seagate.com/t5/Momentus-XT-Momentus-Momentus/SD26/td-p/109284

24. Captain Dynamo macrumors member

Bigger hybrids?

Hi,

I've been waiting for the dust to settle on the Momentus XT drives and am thinking it's almost time to get one. However, my 500 GB WD is almost full so I'd like my next drive to be 750 GB or 1 TB.

Have you heard anything re forthcoming hybrid drives in this range?

Thanks,

25. strang macrumors member

1 TB 5400 RPM in the 2.5" form just became available so 7200 RPM and Hybrid drives should be on the horizon.

I don't know how long of a wait you'll have to endure though.