Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

miamialley

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2008
California, USA
it is possible he didn't know, my buddy ordered an iPad, and like an idiot filled in all the info not realizing he also filled in the engraving portion.

Wow, yeah that's pretty bad. In any event, I know it's possible, that's why I said "chances are." Well, odds are that they either know it's engraved or they stole it and don't know it's engraved. Either way, not good.

nickbarbs

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2009
Jeez.

Does the iPad work? Did you get a box of old socks instead? No? So whats the problem?

If the seller did not maliciously intend to defraud the buyer, going "balls to the wall" to exact revenge is not really a good idea.

People are people. Explain the situation and see what the seller says.

I honestly CAN NOT STAND buyers who, instead of doing the rational and normal thing in today's society of speaking candidly, go right to Paypal or eBay and cry foul. And when the seller attempts to contact them, rationally and calmly, they ignore it and hide behind eBay and Paypals skirt.

:cool:

You do realize that that was the first step in what I suggested, right?

So you basically posted all this for no reason, right?

He got an ipad WITH SOMEONE ELSES NAME ON IT.

Why in god's name would that be ok. Get a clue.

nwbusa

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2010
BC, Canada
Jeez.

Does the iPad work? Did you get a box of old socks instead? No? So whats the problem?

If the seller did not maliciously intend to defraud the buyer, going "balls to the wall" to exact revenge is not really a good idea.

I honestly CAN NOT STAND buyers who, instead of doing the rational and normal thing in today's society of speaking candidly, go right to Paypal or eBay and cry foul. And when the seller attempts to contact them, rationally and calmly, they ignore it and hide behind eBay and Paypals skirt.

Um... no. The condition to be met here is not "does the iPad work?", it's "was the iPad described accurately and honestly?". And the answer to that seems to be no, in which case the buyer is fully justified in seeking remedy.

I personally don't have much patience with sellers who have a "suck it up, it's good enough" attitude when buyers rightfully complain about an item that was not accurately described. I know it works both ways and there are lots of shady buyers out there, but that's doesn't justify such an attitude by the seller.

Meanee

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2011
Contact the seller first. Now with eBay rules, as soon as you contact eBay, a big black mark goes on seller's record. This may have been a mistake, you never know. There's no reason to go cry to mommy right away. Explain to the seller that you are trying to work out the problem without leaving negative feedback or contacting eBay.

If seller's resolution is unsatisfactory, or you get no response in 3 days, then contact eBay. Your purchase is covered by their policy, and eBay will open the case. This will immediately put the money paid for the item on hold. And that typically does get seller's attention. Seller will be forced to work with you, or forfeit the money.

A small tip. Always communicate via eBay messages. Do NOT email the seller. If seller responds in email, ask him/her to respond in eBay message, and let them know that all communication will be done via eBay messages only. Reason is, if/when eBay will review the case, they will also review all the messages exchanged regarding this item. But email is not a proof to them.

Do not let the seller stretch the time. There's a window when you can file a case. Anything over 45 days, and chargeback most likely won't work.

Remember, eBay is always on buyer's side. They do treat sellers like a common criminal, and while it sucks for us (sellers); you, as a buyer, will always be on top of the argument.

Sdashiki

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2005
Behind the lens
Contact the seller first. Now with eBay rules, as soon as you contact eBay, a big black mark goes on seller's record. This may have been a mistake, you never know. There's no reason to go cry to mommy right away. Explain to the seller that you are trying to work out the problem without leaving negative feedback or contacting eBay.

If seller's resolution is unsatisfactory, or you get no response in 3 days, then contact eBay. Your purchase is covered by their policy, and eBay will open the case. This will immediately put the money paid for the item on hold. And that typically does get seller's attention. Seller will be forced to work with you, or forfeit the money.

A small tip. Always communicate via eBay messages. Do NOT email the seller. If seller responds in email, ask him/her to respond in eBay message, and let them know that all communication will be done via eBay messages only. Reason is, if/when eBay will review the case, they will also review all the messages exchanged regarding this item. But email is not a proof to them.

Do not let the seller stretch the time. There's a window when you can file a case. Anything over 45 days, and chargeback most likely won't work.

Remember, eBay is always on buyer's side. They do treat sellers like a common criminal, and while it sucks for us (sellers); you, as a buyer, will always be on top of the argument.

+1

just use common sense. This is not a "suck it up, it works" scenario, unless the seller actually said that and so far I have not read they did. So, my point was not that, it was to say that you got a working iPad, its obviously not as described, but are YOU content with it as is and getting some sort of compensation from the seller?

People just screamed right away "START A DISPUTE! NAIL EM TO THE WALL!", which is definitely not the honest and polite way to do things. Until you have a seller acting maliciously towards you (and this engraving is not malicious, perhaps) why would you want to act as such!?

I know, quite personally, that when you get an item you totally wanted and it shows up NOT at all how you wanted it, how pissed one can be. And how quick things escalate from anger straight to hate.

BUT, regardless, common courtesy to a seller is at least warranted, even in this case. Ebay has plenty of guidelines to protect BOTH buyer and seller, but there is nothing worse than EITHER one being difficult when one is trying to help, or get help, from the other.

When a seller blows you off in a case like this engraved iPad, and does NOTHING to help you with this problem, then go nuts as you are totally within your rights to.

Its doing this BEFORE KNOWING what exactly happened that bothers me, not just as a seller myself, but as a person living in a society that is increasingly using emails and online forms to communicate.

If a seller fails to respond within a reasonable time, or offers you crap in return...by all means, respond in kind with all the tools available.

KHC831

macrumors member
Mar 15, 2011
Jeez.

nice try engraved ipad seller

A Macbook Pro

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2009
See if you can find out the sellers first name from his eBay account, then ring the number on the iPad, say ''Hi, is this xxxx?'' Then let them know that if you don't get a refund your taking it to eBay. Problem solved.

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
Just put a sticker over it with a picture of you on and and personalize the gift.

All this nonsense about returning it and going through all this haslse to probably go spend more money on another iPad just seems like a huge waste of time.

Of course that is what Ebay is good for... Wasting time. People get good deals when they spend 20 hours of their own apparently worthless time to get it.

kdarling

macrumors P6
it is possible he didn't know, my buddy ordered an iPad, and like an idiot filled in all the info not realizing he also filled in the engraving portion.

That would certainly (and innocently) explain all the tales of people getting sealed iPads with engravings.

OP, call a local engraver and ask them what it would cost to mask it.

Then tell the seller and ask for a credit that would cover the engraving being removed. If they will, great, otherwise oh well.

Of course, if you truly got a deal, then you could just eat the cost yourself.

deadlystriker

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 15, 2011
The details are indeed his name and number. I doubt it was stolen.

My first choice would be to check for defects, and try to get a replacement at the apple store. Although the unit is not registered to anyone I wonder if there would be any problems or suspicion that I stole it due to the engraving not matching my details.

Should that fail, I would return it for a refund. It's a shame that such a device can be "ruined" with just a few letters and numbers at the back.

I have contacted the seller already but no reply so far. Have not jump to any conclusions, will give him the benefit of the doubt. Appreciate all the comments here.

Thedeathbear

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2010
I told my wife about it and she said that it was fine that way and it was the thought that counted anyway. She was very happy that I bought her an ipad. I did ask for a partial refund from the seller and received it but only after I contacted her several times and finally got ebay and paypal involved.

J51

She probably didn't want the police involved. The school was probably the one she swiped it from. She didn't know that the school engraved them. Just my guess

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
The details are indeed his name and number. I doubt it was stolen.

My first choice would be to check for defects, and try to get a replacement at the apple store. Although the unit is not registered to anyone I wonder if there would be any problems or suspicion that I stole it due to the engraving not matching my details.

Should that fail, I would return it for a refund. It's a shame that such a device can be "ruined" with just a few letters and numbers at the back.

I have contacted the seller already but no reply so far. Have not jump to any conclusions, will give him the benefit of the doubt. Appreciate all the comments here.

Engraved Apple products aren't returnable, except in the case of DOA. You don't want a custom Apple product if you can help it as return/repair rules are far more strict than stock models.

Sdashiki

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2005
Behind the lens
nice try engraved ipad seller

Yea, no. I would not sell my apple stuff on ebay, just in the Marketplace.

Where I have, many times and had great feedback.

Thanks though! :eek:

Engraved Apple products aren't returnable, except in the case of DOA. You don't want a custom Apple product if you can help it as return/repair rules are far more strict than stock models.

oooh, then unless the seller is like offering to give you a HUGE discount on it...return it for a full refund, accept nothing less, and do whats appropriate based on their response.

iSingandiDance

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
Isn't engraving a free option Apple offers?

Could it be that the seller buys a lot of Apple products and just engraves them not giving it a second thought. That would explain why it wasn't mentioned since it was factory sealed and the buyer forgot or just flat out didn't know (if it was a gift).

Sure, you don't want to knowingly give someone a product that has a stranger's government on it, but things happen, and it's the thought that counts. Cover it up and keep it moving.

deadlystriker

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 15, 2011
Update:

Turns out he received the iPad as a gift and did not know that it was engraved as he never opened it. He was very apologetic and offered $100 for the disappointment. What do you guys think?

miamialley

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2008
California, USA
Update:

Turns out he received the iPad as a gift and did not know that it was engraved as he never opened it. He was very apologetic and offered $100 for the disappointment. What do you guys think?

Did he also offer to take it back? Kinda sucks for him though as it's no longer sealed. With $100 off, what's that make your purchase price? I think I'd want a refund.

Edit: On second thought, maybe I'd consider just putting a skin on the back so you can't even see the engraving. That's a big discount.

Last edited:

thesiren

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2011
outer space
What's with all these replies suggesting that the OP's parents will be "understanding" of the engraving since it's a gift??? Since when has anyone been cool with a gift that has someone else's name ENGRAVED on it? Wtf?

And to the guy who said buyers owe sellers "common courtesy", news flash: buyers don't owe sellers anything except to pay for the item. We don't have to pay promptly, we don't have to respond to your emails, we don't have to leave feedback, we don't have to do jack ****. If you don't like how eBay works now, don't sell there.

rollingstart

Jul 15, 2007
Update:

"sorry to hear about that, unfortunately I want a full refund".

Seriously, why would you even consider this. The dam thing has some stranger's name permanently etched into it. $100, really?!

Completely inappropriate for you, or especially as a gift. $100 off, rotflmao.

iSingandiDance

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
Update:

Take that $100 and buy one of these (pocket the $80) and watch the magic of the iPad unfold in your parent's hands.

http://theluckylabs.com/ipad-2-teksure-skin-44.html

Review here: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1174955/

It wouldn't hurt to tell them the backstory of the engraving.

Liquinn

Suspended
Apr 10, 2011
Personally I'm not sure what I'd do, maybe give it to my parents and put it in a case or something? ;D

btbrossard

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008
Chicagoland
That makes sense.

Considering you were already hesitant to return it because you got a good price and now he's going to give you another $100 off, I would probably keep it.

Get your parents a nice skin for it (some do make it easier to hold and less likely to drop) and just tell them about the engraving. They will probably never take the skin off, so they are never going to notice it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.